SAU Community

K&n Panel Filter Or Hks Mushroom Filter

at the moment i have my stock filter in the original airbox but is worn,

just wanted to know which would be better for my r-33,a brand new k&n panel filter or take the airbox out and put a new hks mushroom filter on.

thanks.

at the moment i have my stock filter in the original airbox but is worn,

just wanted to know which would be better for my r-33,a brand new k&n panel filter or take the airbox out and put a new hks mushroom filter on.

thanks.

hey,

there are pro's and cons on pod filters and if you run a search you'll find heaps on it.

youll find a test link too that shows four pod filters' performances. HKS brought power gains but lacked good air filtration

If i were you id go for the pod filter, only if you have some sort of heat shielding around it, with a cold air feed.

Just got myself an apexi power intake but i dont see much power gain - still need the add a heat shield + cold air feed.

Or if you can get urself a new airbox, grab a hi-flow panel filter (e.g. K&N) and run a cold air feed into it.

ive read somewhere that "the standard airbox is quite restrictive."

and it goes on and on and on. just do a search :)

my 2 and a half cents.

neither ...

k&n is no good because its an oil element which stuffs the accuracy of your AFM & HKS mushroom pod is about the shitest pod filter on the market.

your two options should be:

1. Use a genuine Nissan replacement element in your standard air box (not a cheap Taiwanese one) or...

2. Get an Apexi Power intake <--- these are show to have the best filtration and flow.

Only go the second route if you are going to do Heat Shield/ Pod Box and cold air induction. Otherwise you are just going to lose power and place extra stress on the engine albeit minor every bit helps.

Hope this helps :)

Standard airbox is fine unless you are funning a fair few 100 hp... compare the intake to ur 2.5" piping from ur intercooler..!

Run a panel. That way you keep the factory cold air induction setup as opposed to sucking in all the hot air from ur engine bay. You car will run better and have more response down low due to colder intake temps. A K&N panel will flow as well as a pod/mushroom filter.

If you insist on a pod then by law you have to have it shielded or you will get canaried. I ran a pod on my race car (a 92 SSS for top gear series and hillclimbs) and ended up switching back to the factory CAI induction with a K&N panel due to it not being effective. Tried em both. BTW this is a 9000RPM redline race car application.

lukey do a high flow panel filter as well that fits the stock air box they are not a oil type filter and you can wash them out in water and about half the price of a k&n .

we fitted one too a v8 commy at work the other day with a cai system im going to order one for my r33 as i hate the noise of the pod filters . plus i like to keep it stock as i can looking under the bonnet

yup!

the choice is yours.

i heard MINES uses a panel filter in their skylines

Sure do - have seen it in their testing videos on a 34 GTR they built. They said it works until you need to be flowing about 600hp of air.

I use twin HKS pod filters and works fine. As long as you have the intercooler to cool the air from the turbos then its all good.

You do realise how hot it is inside the turbo(s). That why you have the intercooler = cool air down.

I clean My pods every time with the K&N cleaner recharge kit. The spay oil you put on does not really affect anything unless you spray a lot on and clog it up. All ya gota do is spray a light coat and thats it, 3 sprays = spray up / spray down / spray up. Its to catch all the dust/dirt particals.

I also suggest putting an air feed, which will give better air flow to the pod.

Edited by (00)SKYLINE(00)

hey Iv been using on my R33 GTST S1: the 3A Racing Pod filter (which came 1st in air flow and 2nd in Filtration Recently) Iv also got a single panel heat shield and cold air intake from underneath where stock intercooler was as i changed to a FMI.

So far so good, it runs and revs better than wen i had stock air box.

Does anyone know anything else about the 3A Racing Pod's incase i missed anything, Does anyone else use them?

At the end of the day its up to u, but as everyone's said, make sure u have a cold air induction somewhere if using a pod,

every little bit helps the motor.

• 4 weeks later...

i put a k&n pod on my 33 bout 5mnths n 2 days ago my 33 had sum pretty bad jerking..revs wuld randomly drop n engine sumtimes wont rev at all..my idle was lower den usual n at times i get high idles as well idling at 1600.. my mechanic ran an engine diagnostic n told me that problems origin was from the afm..he sed he gave my afm a light clean n jerking has gone 4 now..

I just wana kn0w r these symtpons of an oil drenched afm element or culd it b sumtin else? If the k&n is causing this wat filter wuld b better? 3A pod or an apexi powa intake?

Thanks 4 any suggestions :banana:

I've got a Netami Gold Series Pod Filter on mine and it's working quite well,

not too excessively noisy and only on boost when needed.

I did have a Max Racing Mushroom Filter before and it was a shithouse,

very loud and boosts pretty much everytime I hit the gas (anything above 2000rpm)

Edited by POLICE

• 2 years later...
hey Iv been using on my R33 GTST S1: the 3A Racing Pod filter (which came 1st in air flow and 2nd in Filtration Recently) Iv also got a single panel heat shield and cold air intake from underneath where stock intercooler was as i changed to a FMI.

So far so good, it runs and revs better than wen i had stock air box.

Does anyone know anything else about the 3A Racing Pod's incase i missed anything, Does anyone else use them?

At the end of the day its up to u, but as everyone's said, make sure u have a cold air induction somewhere if using a pod,

every little bit helps the motor.

3a racing pod filter + snorkel + heat shield = no complaints :P