SAU Community

Ticking Noise From Dash On Startup

nuclear_skyline

Hi All ye' Learned People!

Each time I start my r33 series 2 GTST a ticking noise comes from under the dash, on the passenger side of the middle. It doesn't matter if the car is warm, e.g. drive for 30mins turn off the re-start or if I turn the car on and off from cold.

I dont know if its something in the airconditioner pipes or if its the airbag initialising... If I turn the aircon off (and fans off) the noise is still there... So I dont think its in the pipes...

Anybody had anything similar???

Thanks

Thomas

have u installed a fmic reciently? did they disconnect your aircon fan?

im pretty sure thats y the ticking is there. must be some kind of warning because mine only started doing that when i dc my aircon fan. if i connect it back it stops ( but the fan does not fit so i have to d/c it again)

it ticks for maybe 10-20sec on startup... had a fmic installed 5000km ago, but the ticking has only been there the past 500km. do you mean the fan up front near the radiator/intrcooler of the one inside the cabin for the heater core?

i use have the same problem with my old r33 gts, want to know what i did??

i got a r33 25t Ahahahah :P

im quite sure it has something to do with the air con. thats where i found the source of the

noise. unsure of how to fix it sorry

Edited by waza

well i'm happier thinking thats its a leaf in a pipe then a ticking bomb of a airbag :)

zNow I just have to figure out how to get into the pipes and check.

does anyone know if the aircon units on the s2 r33 have a filter?

was covered in another tread somewhere

the gear that opens and closes one of the valves in the air con system is buggered. so when the gear turns it slips and makes the noise.

very common in r33's and the only way to fix it is to take the dash out so most people don't worry about it as its too much work to get rid of 10 seconds of ticking that doesn't really do any harm.

Yep, as above, that noise is the broken gears in the aircon position servo motor sliding over each other

With the aircon off, just press the red/hot up button forever until you think its at the 28max and it wont happen until outside temp goes above it

To access the filter, you have to remove the glovebox. To the right of that theres a panel that you can remove and the aircon filters will just fall out. Order replacements from Japan or just clean using compressed air. Will also get rid of the aircon stink - mine were pitch black

well the nasty problem is becoming worse. It only happened before when I started the car, now its happening when I change anything with the aircon :wave:

Has anyone tried to replace the motor? Location advice?

very common in r33's and the only way to fix it is to take the dash out so most people don't worry about it as its too much work to get rid of 10 seconds of ticking that doesn't really do any harm.

Anyone with advice on how to take the dash out?

Its not actually the motor, its like the gear teeth so its even simpler and cheaper to fix (dont u just hate that). Its just the dash thats the hard bit - you'll need half a day just to pull it out.

There are a few links to tutorials on how to take it out. Do a search, but not long ago someone had the proper name and part number for the bit

Just make sure the temperature is maxed to hot (yes u can press the button whilst its off) before u start it up and u shouldnt be able to here it

Just make sure the temperature is maxed to hot (yes u can press the button whilst its off) before u start it up and u shouldnt be able to here it

Interesting. Must spin the gear around to the point where is aint stripped....

So if i have the gear at max. hot, then turn it down when I turn the car on, will I hear it then?

• 2 weeks later...

Theoretically yes, but I dont seem to notice it after the cars started

Think of it as a stepper motor that doesnt turn 360*. It isnt the gear teeth in the motor, its on an arm that moves backwards and forwards that controls the hot/cold air mix.

The motor/gearset were talking about i think is called the blend servo motor

My r33 has the same problem but goes away after a few secs. I was told by my mech. that it was only the a/c trying to find the "home position" for the automatic climate control. My a/c still works excellent and changes through all the modes; face/feet, demist, floor etc. etc. It apparently is a "home Sensor" problem. I cant be bothered pulling the dash apart to fix a noise that lasts 5 secs.