SAU Community

Stagea Series 2 / M35 Digital Tv Upgrade

chook

I'll try to answer these, but if there are any errors maybe someone else can chime in to correct me.

1. No, but the tuner boots with accessory power, so is ready to go when you open the screen & select the aux TV input (or have the earth wire mod switched)

2. My sig link should now be working. In that thread there is links to other threads that have lots of info and some with intstructions in PDF form. They might be for the Asuka tuner, but installation is essentially the same, just some operations vary.

3. Yes, just use the extra AV input on the tuner. there's a yellow wire that needs 12V put on it to switch to that input (instead of displaying live TV) so can be as simple as a toggle switch with 12V behind it.

4. Still output to other screens.

5. You could just use a RCA cable going directly into the OEM tuner. You will need some way of splitting off to other screens if you want to run some at the back. The tuner has extra video outputs for this purpose so it is very versatile, even without displaying TV.

6. The yellow wire & AV input was added to these tuners by my request mainly to support reverse cam. The yellow wire in this instance would connect to your reverse lights, thus providing the 12V needed to automatically switch to this AV input when you put the car into reverse. Using the input for reverse cam means you will need some trickier setup with relays to also use it for other things like from your phone.

7. It's actually quite OK. I have a HD screen as well, but with 7" to view there's not a lot of difference in quality when watching video. Don't be fooled by the blocky look of the leaf/fuel consumption displays. I think that's more to do with the graphic design in the programming.

8. You have to leave it in circuit otherwise nothing much will work. There's not a lot of cable length back there to allow it to be moved either. I looked at it but gave up.

9. Not sure about the first part, but yes, sound is controlled by the stereo when it's plugged into the aux in on the OEM tuner.

Leftfield question - Video in for the pop-up screen is possible with a connecting cable (& nothing else) as per point 5 above. Anything else is possible with some research, trial & error & plain old fashioned tinkering. It just depends if you want to retain factory look or don't mind bodging something up to do the job. However, replacing the pop-up screen isn't going to be the easiest thing (new one won't just work afaik) and most people who don't have a screen are trying to get one.

I hope this helps clear up your questions.

thanks for all your help man !

I'm gonna read some of the threads and then PM you for some ordering options.

Just one clarification, the OEM tuner already has one ;aux' input for 3 RCA's ? like straight in? or does that need a wiring modification as well.

thanks for all the info !!

J

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one clarification, the OEM tuner already has one ;aux' input for 3 RCA's ? like straight in? or does that need a wiring modification as well.

A=Yes. If you use the 'special cable" which you make up for nix out of an RCA cable and computer USB header doo-dats (I'm sure that is the correct technical term :) ).

This plugs into the pins in the white connector. There's a half decent explanation of what each pin does here: http://www.skylinesa...ost__p__5739793.

In fact that whole thread is worth a read. It will also explain how putting an earth (via relay or switch) on the C1 (or Cont1 depending on model) terminal inside your OEM tuner will force it to display the AUX input, even when your car is in motion. :thumbsup:

A=Yes. If you use the 'special cable" which you make up for nix out of an RCA cable and computer USB header doo-dats (I'm sure that is the correct technical term :) ).

This plugs into the pins in the white connector. There's a half decent explanation of what each pin does here: http://www.skylinesa...ost__p__5739793.

In fact that whole thread is worth a read. It will also explain how putting an earth (via relay or switch) on the C1 (or Cont1 depending on model) terminal inside your OEM tuner will force it to display the AUX input, even when your car is in motion. :thumbsup:

Once again cheers for the info...its quite funny reading some of the threads as they go back in time a bit.

If I read correctly, to simply get the video/audio to show on screen and play through OEM sound system you need to wire up an RCA input to the OEM tuner as shown in the thread.

Steps:

1) Find my OEM Box and it should look like this:

4_TDV3100V001_1.jpg

The white plug hole is a 'spare' that all the boxes should have and will be the VTR or AUX inside the OEM Tuner

2) buy or build a RCA to OEM Aux plug like this:(no.2 on right) like the attached.post-84420-0-78158500-1303349789_thumb.gif

3) Plug in and select VTR on the Tuner menu to get the Aux input

4) Enjoy ?

I also read about the 'video disabler' when driving...is that issue relevant to my 2003 250RS as well?

cheers.

J

I also read about the 'video disabler' when driving...is that issue relevant to my 2003 250RS as well?

cheers.

J

All the factory screens have video disable. A few cars come into the country with the video block loom allready installed. Or have bought a loom off Chris. You can see if you have this by watching any chanel or aux input on the tuner and driving if its blocked a message will be on the screen. If not you will see a pictue.

You can also remove the video block programatically (for gps)

• 4 weeks later...

Buy the HD tuner. Connect it.

What state are you in? You can probably get someone to help you fit it.

Totally depends on what you want. I'm looking at replacing my deck with a DVD player which outputs to the screen. I want HD TV and DVD through that screen, as well as iPod. So what you need is:

- Leon's HD TV tuner (~$250), depending on what state you're in you can also talk to Brad (SA). Ask Leon for details.

- Deck which plays DVDs and has rear AV out. I'm looking at the JVC AVX-77, as it has DVD, iPod and Bluetooth. If you're willing to forgo Bluetooth you can get some cheaper decks.

- Specdock iPod dock, available direct from Specdock, price varies. Contact them direct (do a search).

If you have the TV screen you'll also want someone to translate it to English. Check out the link in Brad's (ducati02) signature above. Whoever is in your local state should be able to give you a hand.

And remember to search! :google:

Hey mate i just bought a m35 stagea 2001 and want to get the tv working in australia. What can you do for me?

Josh

speak to commsman about this. I just got my HD unit off him and he is very helpfull with the install. Cost me about $260.00 all up and about 2 hrs of playing with it to install by yourself with his help. That would be your best bet.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/356219-tv-tuners-once-again-the-new-asuka/page__st__60

NOTE- you do not need the english translation to have the HD unit in your car. The unit shows full english and that is just if you want to view the cars menu in english. Its prob good to have but not a need for TV. All the TV menu is in English and Language you can choose on startup what your preference is.

Edited by joshm35

NOTE- you do not need the english translation to have the HD unit in your car. The unit shows full english and that is just if you want to view the cars menu in english. Its prob good to have but not a need for TV. All the TV menu is in English and Language you can choose on startup what your preference is.

I didn't say you need it, but surely you want it. I know I get annoyed looking at that leaf when I can't understand Japanese.

That is DEFINITELY on my list, already spoken to Brad about it. If I don't get the stereo sorted soon I'll get him to do it independent of the stereo. Of course I need my car back first... :whistling:

I didn't say you need it, but surely you want it. I know I get annoyed looking at that leaf when I can't understand Japanese.

That is DEFINITELY on my list, already spoken to Brad about it. If I don't get the stereo sorted soon I'll get him to do it independent of the stereo. Of course I need my car back first... :whistling:

because of the japanese i was just going to rip out all the tv components and screen etc until i got my tv tuner. Silly me. Although i cant read a work of japanese besides SUSHI....lol i do enjoy planting the throttle and eating that leaf. My m35 loves to eat that leaf as much as it can.

But.....if you dont have the switch to turn the tv on while driving the translation is a handy upgrade as it can do this through.

• 8 months later...

I reckon you could get it to work if you swapped out all those things. Wouldn't it be easier (& arguably cheaper) to trade your car for one that already has it?

Alternatively, there may be aftermaket devices that read data from CAN/OBDII port, that allow you to display that info plus heaps more.

Do a search on Carputer (car PC) on this forum &, more likely, the V Series forum, or the interweb in general - lots of cool stuff being done.

Edited by Commsman

• 3 years later...

Once again cheers for the info...its quite funny reading some of the threads as they go back in time a bit.

If I read correctly, to simply get the video/audio to show on screen and play through OEM sound system you need to wire up an RCA input to the OEM tuner as shown in the thread.

Steps:

4_TDV3100V001_1.jpg

The white plug hole is a 'spare' that all the boxes should have and will be the VTR or AUX inside the OEM Tuner

2) buy or build a RCA to OEM Aux plug like this:(no.2 on right) like the attached.attachicon.gifAVleads___nissan.gif

4) Enjoy ?

cheers.

J

Hey anyone still selling the rca to aux leads ?

Or even just the male plug ?

Thinking of connecting a hd media box via the rca outs.

Not fussed on video, just want mp3 playback.

Steps:

4_TDV3100V001_1.jpg

2) buy or build a RCA to OEM Aux plug like this:(no.2 on right) like the attached.attachicon.gifAVleads___nissan.gif

4) Enjoy ?

cheers.

J

What's the white socket called ?

I'm assuming JayCar will have them.

cheers

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

I know this thread is ancient now but I'm desperate for help!

I just got a 2005 PM35 Stagea fresh off the boat. I want to find out what my options are for the existing stereo and TV screen?

At a minimum I just want AUX input (to play music from my phone) and the ability to run a reverse camera through the screen.

TV/DVD/Whatever else the screen can do would be nice too though!

PS: I'm in Adelaide SA

Cheers!

-Stew

28 minutes ago, StewG said:

Hi all, 

I know this thread is ancient now but I'm desperate for help!

I just got a 2005 PM35 Stagea fresh off the boat. I want to find out what my options are for the existing stereo and TV screen?

At a minimum I just want AUX input (to play music from my phone) and the ability to run a reverse camera through the screen.

TV/DVD/Whatever else the screen can do would be nice too though!

PS: I'm in Adelaide SA

Cheers!

-Stew

Hey Stew, I think this thread got me sorted. It's a big read. But in the end a new media box was needed to replace the tv thing (won't work out of Japan) it plugs into amp/sound system though.so pretty easy. Offers video and audio options. Including the pop up screen. I did need to wire a custom switch from memory to activate the camera feed. It's not a in fact to need.to remote.half the dash/console to even change the stereo out. If I was you (and speaking from experience) take it to a pro and pay for the install. You will save face and pain

Hi @Turning Japanese thanks very much for the quick reply! 

I've browsed through the entire thread in as much detail as my non-tech savvy brain could handle. 

So what I need is a HD tuner from @Commsman?

In one of your posts you mentioned "to simply get the video/audio to show on screen and play through OEM sound system you need to wire up an RCA input to the OEM tuner". Did you go through with this? Where did you source the RCA to OEM Aux plug? Would this give me the ability to simply play stuff through a phone for example?

I see @bigkevracer mentioned an aftermarket deck "which plays DVDs and has rear AV out" also. This would require a fascia right? These are sold here in SA for about $495 but the climate control buttons are a little ugly. I've been told I could one specifically for the Series 2 from Japan but they cost like $800. 

Have you or anyone else installed a fascia and aftermarket deck this way?

Absolutely plan to take it to a pro for install.

Thanks again!