SAU Community

Stagea Series 2 / M35 Digital Tv Upgrade

chook

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried a few digital tuner boxes in my S2 C34, some better than others, but now have one that Im impressed with.

I have a digital TV picture and digital radio that is completely stable in all terrains and at all speeds, using the factory TV window aerials and amplifiers.

These units appear very well built and as good if not better than anything on the market. Ive contacted the manufacturer and with a group buy I am hoping to get some delivered to anyone interested in late Feb. 1 yr warranty. (if no factory TV aerials ie. non-TV stageas, those with aftermarket screens/satnavs with AV in, extra for a pair of ASUKA stick-on interior aerials.)

PM me for anyone interested.

2x F-connector plugs for adapting factory aerials included.

Automatic reverse camera switching.

Ive done up a DIY installation guide to help anyone looking at installing this or another digital box into a S2. (similar instructions for installation into M35's)

Some specs:

Description

Specs

Brochure

contact me if you previously enquired, or anyone wanting info on how to get one.

Simon

Chook

I have a 2001 Stagea ARX-4, can you please tell me,

Is the M35 stagea's oem dtv is located in the boot on the left hand side . do you know where i could get a nissans diagram about basic removal of panels. Ive been searching but no luck.

Oh and the Asuka hr3 ,have you tried using other remote controls like universal ones instead of the original one.

• 5 months later...

chook

can you still get hold of this setup?

If so what price would i be looking at delivered to Adelaide?

Just purchased a Stag and have now come to the conclusion that there is no english available on the sat navs so the option you have chosen here interests me

Cheers

Hi Luke

I'm pretty sure Chook doesn't have any more of the Asuka's since I bought the last one he had before Christmas, but I could be wrong. The company isn't very helpful re supplying more in limited numbers, at least not for a decent price.

I've been trialling a few over the last couple of months to see if I can get a suitable replacement and it just so happens one of the samples I have received made its way to Adelaide today. It's in the hands of Brad (Ducati02 on this forum) for his feedback as a comparison to the Asuka.

It comes in gold anodised aluminium and look schmicko. I'll post the brochure / pics / specs once a few of us agree that it works as good as it looks.

The manufacturer modified their product for me (added AV input and wire to auto switch to the input so it suit a reverse camera, but can work for GPS/DVD/whatever) so once I give the go ahead it will still be a few weeks for the shipment to arrive. They must think I'm going to buy 1000's, not tens :)

I guess there's no reason why you couldn't get the sample one from Brad though, if you are in a hurry.

Good news is that they will be a little cheaper, around $230, and come with all the cables and 2 antennas for those that don't have factory ones built in.

Cheers, Leon.

Leon,

Please let us know if you go ahead with the purchase as I'd be really interested in something like this. I'm assuming this plugs into the standard RCA jacks on a Xanavi equipped C34?

Also if you are going ahead with it, can you let us know what inputs/outputs it has. I'm sure I saw it posted somewhere but cant for the life of me find it (gonna kick myself if its in this thread somewhere).

-Aj

Sure, will keep you posted.

They are pretty typical in that they have the standard 3 RCA (video, L & R audio) jacks for the output, plus an extra 2 video outputs if you want to run additional screens in the back.

Also has an AV input and a USB port (can record TV signal or play video/music), They are pretty much a direct replacement for the Asuka HR3, except it doesn't have a 2nd AV input.

Cheers, Leon.

Hi Luke

I'm pretty sure Chook doesn't have any more of the Asuka's since I bought the last one he had before Christmas, but I could be wrong. The company isn't very helpful re supplying more in limited numbers, at least not for a decent price.

I've been trialling a few over the last couple of months to see if I can get a suitable replacement and it just so happens one of the samples I have received made its way to Adelaide today. It's in the hands of Brad (Ducati02 on this forum) for his feedback as a comparison to the Asuka.

It comes in gold anodised aluminium and look schmicko. I'll post the brochure / pics / specs once a few of us agree that it works as good as it looks.

The manufacturer modified their product for me (added AV input and wire to auto switch to the input so it suit a reverse camera, but can work for GPS/DVD/whatever) so once I give the go ahead it will still be a few weeks for the shipment to arrive. They must think I'm going to buy 1000's, not tens :)

I guess there's no reason why you couldn't get the sample one from Brad though, if you are in a hurry.

Good news is that they will be a little cheaper, around $230, and come with all the cables and 2 antennas for those that don't have factory ones built in.

Cheers, Leon.

OK looks like I will have to hurry up and try the tv tuner. Seems to be some interest. It looks like a tidy unit from the outside. It also has powered antenna which the asuka didnt have. Will see if it has better reception than the asuka ones. Also has RCA leads supplied. Even has a nice remote.

Will let you know how it went next week after I install it in my GTR.

OK looks like I will have to hurry up and try the tv tuner. Seems to be some interest. It looks like a tidy unit from the outside. It also has powered antenna which the asuka didnt have. Will see if it has better reception than the asuka ones. Also has RCA leads supplied. Even has a nice remote.

Will let you know how it went next week after I install it in my GTR.

Yeah Brad, we're all waiting on YOU tongue.gif. Actually, no need to sweat it (although I would like to know) because the factory is going to be on a short break for Chinese New Year right about when they should be making up our order. Normally it'd be OK, but they had to modify the standard product for us so now it becomes a low volume special.

Chinese NY is Feb 3 I think, so there may be a chance they can get it done & shipped out before then if I give them the OK early next week. Otherwise I'm told they'll be ready mid Feb.

BTW I appreciate your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody installed a tv unit in an update m35 (2005 350rx four)?

Mine doesnt have the 3 aerial cables going into the tv unit it just has plugs im assuming the aerials are routed through the main plug. Anybody know which wires are which?

Just need to work out which ones are the factory aerials so i can route them to my tv tuner?

Edited by austingtir

my stagea doesnt have the dfactory tv unit , yet i want one can some one let me know what i need and how please

or i can just get aftermarcket dvd player and gps that plug into my screen

dont want tv as i dont want to watch tv in the car just dvds and gs

and maye my tuning data from a link ecu

Yeah Brad, we're all waiting on YOU tongue.gif. Actually, no need to sweat it (although I would like to know) because the factory is going to be on a short break for Chinese New Year right about when they should be making up our order. Normally it'd be OK, but they had to modify the standard product for us so now it becomes a low volume special.

Chinese NY is Feb 3 I think, so there may be a chance they can get it done & shipped out before then if I give them the OK early next week. Otherwise I'm told they'll be ready mid Feb.

BTW I appreciate your input.

Any update yet? I would like to get my tv working

• 2 months later...

OK so i'm Laaaate coming into all this but happy to hear its not new ground. I have just bought a 2003 RS 250 with stock DVD rom nav, screen, cd player.

Are there any other Kiwis here?

Can I get the Asuka or similar boxes in Auckland? Or can you get them on Ebay too?

I'm not too fussed on the TV part, but would love to use the Video/audio in for pluggin my dvd/phone into.

cheers bros !

I've still got some left & can post one to you if you want. I think a firmware change is req'd for it to pick up NZ TV (8Mhz channels v's 7Mhz) and I'm waiting on a file from the manufacturer.

I had some interest from a chap driving a Toyota something-or-other in NZ so have started the process.

But in it's current form it will do the stuff you want.

I've still got some left & can post one to you if you want. I think a firmware change is req'd for it to pick up NZ TV (8Mhz channels v's 7Mhz) and I'm waiting on a file from the manufacturer.

I had some interest from a chap driving a Toyota something-or-other in NZ so have started the process.

But in it's current form it will do the stuff you want.

Cheers mate I'll PM you, can the firmware upgrade be done 'after the fact' as well anyway?

Cheers mate I'll PM you, can the firmware upgrade be done 'after the fact' as well anyway?

Ok I'll put some other questions here in case others want to know or know:

I have a 2003 250 RS.

Keen to try out one of these upgrades, hopefully its not beyond me.

Some questions:

1) Does opening the 'pop up' screen automatically turn everything on or do you need to use the remote?

2) I have tried a few of the links in this thread but they no longer work, could I get the install instructions just to have a read through?

3) I ideally want to plug in my phone (Which has 3 rca out for music, video, GPS, etc all built in) and out put on the screen - I guess this will work.

4) If you 'close' the pop up screen will the signal drop or will it still output to the back 'outputs'.

5) if i dont want/need TV is this still the best unit for me or are there other options?6) Does the unit support reverse camera (I assume thats just an input) but if you put into reverse gear?7) Is the 'stock' screen ok for this stuff? The Nav screen seems a bit old, not great quality. But that could be the software too I suppose.8) What do you guys do with the DVD rom unit above the glove box? just leave as is?9) Is all the input audio (like from mp3 and DVD) 'preamp' ? So the volume etc is all controlled via the stereo still ?

Leftfield question: All I really want is a video-in option for the pop-up screen: I have a spare TFT 7inch screen with two 'video in' and a power/ground w/ remote. Part of me thinks that this could replace the current pop up screen and simply be wired in. But it sounds like the whole existing DVD ROM/TV unit has complex wiring...? Or has some ever just 'uplugged' the pop up screen and replaced as I suggest?

thanks guys !

Really appreciate your help.

PM sent. The firmware is easily changed by having it in a folder (called upgrade) on a USB drive plugged into the tuner. Switch tuner on and wait till it boots. Remove drive.

Ok I'll put some other questions here in case others want to know or know:

Some questions:

1) Does opening the 'pop up' screen automatically turn everything on or do you need to use the remote?

2) I have tried a few of the links in this thread but they no longer work, could I get the install instructions just to have a read through?

3) I ideally want to plug in my phone (Which has 3 rca out for music, video, GPS, etc all built in) and out put on the screen - I guess this will work.

4) If you 'close' the pop up screen will the signal drop or will it still output to the back 'outputs'.

5) if i dont want/need TV is this still the best unit for me or are there other options?6) Does the unit support reverse camera (I assume thats just an input) but if you put into reverse gear?7) Is the 'stock' screen ok for this stuff? The Nav screen seems a bit old, not great quality. But that could be the software too I suppose.8) What do you guys do with the DVD rom unit above the glove box? just leave as is?9) Is all the input audio (like from mp3 and DVD) 'preamp' ? So the volume etc is all controlled via the stereo still ?

Leftfield question: All I really want is a video-in option for the pop-up screen: I have a spare TFT 7inch screen with two 'video in' and a power/ground w/ remote. Part of me thinks that this could replace the current pop up screen and simply be wired in. But it sounds like the whole existing DVD ROM/TV unit has complex wiring...? Or has some ever just 'uplugged' the pop up screen and replaced as I suggest?

I'll try to answer these, but if there are any errors maybe someone else can chime in to correct me.

1. No, but the tuner boots with accessory power, so is ready to go when you open the screen & select the aux TV input (or have the earth wire mod switched)

2. My sig link should now be working. In that thread there is links to other threads that have lots of info and some with intstructions in PDF form. They might be for the Asuka tuner, but installation is essentially the same, just some operations vary.

3. Yes, just use the extra AV input on the tuner. there's a yellow wire that needs 12V put on it to switch to that input (instead of displaying live TV) so can be as simple as a toggle switch with 12V behind it.

4. Still output to other screens.

5. You could just use a RCA cable going directly into the OEM tuner. You will need some way of splitting off to other screens if you want to run some at the back. The tuner has extra video outputs for this purpose so it is very versatile, even without displaying TV.

6. The yellow wire & AV input was added to these tuners by my request mainly to support reverse cam. The yellow wire in this instance would connect to your reverse lights, thus providing the 12V needed to automatically switch to this AV input when you put the car into reverse. Using the input for reverse cam means you will need some trickier setup with relays to also use it for other things like from your phone.

7. It's actually quite OK. I have a HD screen as well, but with 7" to view there's not a lot of difference in quality when watching video. Don't be fooled by the blocky look of the leaf/fuel consumption displays. I think that's more to do with the graphic design in the programming.

8. You have to leave it in circuit otherwise nothing much will work. There's not a lot of cable length back there to allow it to be moved either. I looked at it but gave up.

9. Not sure about the first part, but yes, sound is controlled by the stereo when it's plugged into the aux in on the OEM tuner.

Leftfield question - Video in for the pop-up screen is possible with a connecting cable (& nothing else) as per point 5 above. Anything else is possible with some research, trial & error & plain old fashioned tinkering. It just depends if you want to retain factory look or don't mind bodging something up to do the job. However, replacing the pop-up screen isn't going to be the easiest thing (new one won't just work afaik) and most people who don't have a screen are trying to get one.

I hope this helps clear up your questions.