SAU Community

P Plate Laws For Engine Modification?

Hey guys,

Just curious in regards to the p-plate laws that state that no p-plater may drive a car that has had any modification to the engine that requires an engineer's approval.

I wanted to change the cam gears, camshafts, pistons, valves and crankshaft...as well as lighten the flywheel...not allowed? or allowed?

Cheers guys,

Cartz

you could pretty much garrantee doing that stuff would be illegal, part of the p plate law is law against engine modification.

That said, they would NEVER know, all that internal stuff they could never find out, you've just gotta make sure you keep the engine standard looking, i'd be keeping the airbox with a highflow panel filter, stock exhaust manifold, high flow cat, stock turbo exhaust? just make sure its quiet. you dont want the car to sound lumpy, but if you sort the vct properly (r33?) it should idle pretty smooth, 60mm nissan tb, hide the ecu, dont have any rice inside the car or engine bay, or outside the car.

that intake and exhaust would really lose sfa performance, and considering that means the cops wont even look twice, its you best option. What counts is whats in the engine :O. Decent cams, good compression, balence, tune, the right headwork and it will be a weapon. what do you mean crank shaft?

Question - Allowed or not ..

NOT ALLOWED TO DO ANYTHING UNLESS YOU OWNED IT PRIOR TO LAW INCEPTION, OR YOU HAD YOUR LICENCE BEFORE LAWS.

Question - Will they know?

No chance unless you sound like you've got a 9 second engine running .. You know cams etc..

you could pretty much garrantee doing that stuff would be illegal, part of the p plate law is law against engine modification.

That said, they would NEVER know, all that internal stuff they could never find out, you've just gotta make sure you keep the engine standard looking, i'd be keeping the airbox with a highflow panel filter, stock exhaust manifold, high flow cat, stock turbo exhaust? just make sure its quiet. you dont want the car to sound lumpy, but if you sort the vct properly (r33?) it should idle pretty smooth, 60mm nissan tb, hide the ecu, dont have any rice inside the car or engine bay, or outside the car.

that intake and exhaust would really lose sfa performance, and considering that means the cops wont even look twice, its you best option. What counts is whats in the engine :O. Decent cams, good compression, balence, tune, the right headwork and it will be a weapon. what do you mean crank shaft?

Yeah, i was also thinking of doing an exhaust and what not...but the main part of the law stated that it was only NOT allowed if it required an engineer's approval post-modification...

Do cops usually take off the timing belt cover? If so, it probably wouldn't be a smart thing to change the cam gears..

I was gonna put in a forged and lightened crankshaft...

No Aftermarket ECUs are allowed?

Wouldn't it be good if there was a thread that simply stated WHAT legal modification are allowed on the new p-plate laws?

Basically, i'm going to see how much power i can get out of an rb25de...but i want to do it legally, and not cut corners...(nothing beats the sound of a properly tuned and modified NA engine)...

Cartz

ECU they can check.. Timing belt cover they wont take off.. To much effort/risk involved.

If you get HWP your going to be nailed .. But its just a $200 fine and 3 points I think.. 1 Yr isnt much to wait .. Just save up a shitload of cash for a RB26 conversion :no:

Well if that's the case, why not just save up for a turbo?

It's also 2 years where i am...

3 year total if you've just gotten your licence...

HWP?

ECU they can check.. Timing belt cover they wont take off.. To much effort/risk involved.

If you get HWP your going to be nailed .. But its just a $200 fine and 3 points I think.. 1 Yr isnt much to wait .. Just save up a shitload of cash for a RB26 conversion :no:

They never would, and probably wouldnt know where it was

the cam cover would NEVER come off the engine.

The whole point is, you drive around in a stock lokoing car, stock interior and stock engine bay, they'l send you on your way within 30 seconds. just be polite and say you just drive it for the badge, but you know its a jap taxi and its good on fuel being only a 2.5L etc...

you have nothing to worry about, as long as its quiet, which i personally prefer anyway (for a daily), because you can get infront of people without everyone looking at you like your a hoon criminal.

edit: the only thing you'd have to worry about is emmissions, which i highly doubt would be tested on a 'stock' exhaust, and with a decent tune on some good fuel (gogo E10) with o2 working and cat, aslong as the cams aren't outrageous, you should still pass ok. BUT once again a stock car, you wont have any problem.

Edited by SKiT_R31

The whole point is, you drive around in a stock lokoing car, stock interior and stock engine bay, they'l send you on your way within 30 seconds. just be polite and say you just drive it for the badge, but you know its a jap taxi and its good on fuel being only a 2.5L etc...

you have nothing to worry about, as long as its quiet, which i personally prefer anyway (for a daily), because you can get infront of people without everyone looking at you like your a hoon criminal.

exactly! my car has minimal asthetic mods and looks stock. never in my 4.5 years of owning it have i been pulled over because it was a skyline. RBT yes of course.

don't drive like an idiot, don't attract attention to yourself and you're on a winning formula.

i havent even had my skyline for 3months and ive been pulled over 6times by the popos. mine is completly stock and they have gotten under the hood and made me rev my stock exahust. im pretty sure exahust, filter and extractors are all legal, not sure about the rest, but what cant be seen cant be tested. they wont pull ur motor to find out if anything is suss.

keep it nice n quit n clean and u will be fine. or save ur money n buy a turbo when ur off ur p's n start modding it then.

i havent even had my skyline for 3months and ive been pulled over 6times by the popos. mine is completly stock and they have gotten under the hood and made me rev my stock exahust. im pretty sure exahust, filter and extractors are all legal, not sure about the rest, but what cant be seen cant be tested. they wont pull ur motor to find out if anything is suss.

keep it nice n quit n clean and u will be fine. or save ur money n buy a turbo when ur off ur p's n start modding it then.

I don't want a turbo...hence this being in this thread...lol

I feel important to mention hes a P plater, its like driving a car with DEFECT as the number plate..

But I suppose they do it for a reason, prevention of speeding because you always get pulled over...

Any yeah they do look for the ECU, they had a nice run of it in sydney a yr ago.. Its not common tho.

I feel important to mention hes a P plater, its like driving a car with DEFECT as the number plate..

But I suppose they do it for a reason, prevention of speeding because you always get pulled over...

Any yeah they do look for the ECU, they had a nice run of it in sydney a yr ago.. Its not common tho.

Is there any way to hide the ECU? say...under the center console?

Wack a nissan sticker on anything that says a name, that should do it.. its only seriously done cars they will check(but I guess it depends if they wanna nail you), and thats if they dont have a engineers

Edited by DECIM8

as i said previously, check with your local state's rules and regulations into what you can or cant do.

trying to hide mods is all good and all, but in the end you will void your insurance. also keep in mind alot of cars come from factory and don't even meet ADR requirements.

you have answered your own question in the first post.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally, I'd wait till you are off your Ps before doing any "major" engine mods. Best to avoid the hassle from the boys in blue. The only change I'd do is put a K&N panel filter - but i'm not sure about the "legality" of this.

For now I'd recommend some sort of suspension/braking upgrade to start off.