SAU Community

Transmission Lubricants

Sydneykid

Just picked up a 32gtr, looking to do the engine, gearbox and diff oils pretty soon.

leaning towards smurfsblood for the gearbox (crunching into 5th also when shifting at speed), but not sure whether it is appropriate to run the same oil for the front/rear diffs.

Also is 10w40 semi synth ok for a rebuilt motor? oil will be changed every 7500kms and primarily street use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just noticed that redline recommends 80w140 for the rear diff and lightweight for the front diff. Anyone had any issues with this set up?

http://www.redlineoil.com.au/oil-finder-detail.asp?CategoryID=3642&ProductID=7592

80w140 just causes a bit of chattering when cold. That's about it. Been running it for 2 years with no issue at all.

• 3 months later...

Been reading through all these pages and can't find a straight answer for my questions

I have a er34 awd manual

Gearbox oil-?

Transfer case-trasnmax z?

Rear diff oil-? Visious it think

Front diff oil-?

Attesa pump-trasnmax z?

Thank you to anyone that can clear things up

And! Just wondering if all my running gear and things are off a stagea? Might be able to find things easier.

Edited by BabyZ

Your gtfour is a 5 speed correct?

If it is not crunchy then put in a normal gb fluid as recommended in one of these pages.

Use lsd fluid for your rear diff (not needed for front but you might as well because it takes a bees dick worth of fluid)

Transmax z for remainder.

Just presume your car is a gtr then take advice from here.

I have read through this thread several times, and still end up confused on what product of oil i need to put in my GTR's rear/front diff's and transfer case...

Can somebody just tell me exactly what i need to buy from my local supercheap auto/auto barn/repco!

I did my Gearbox oil the other week, and used Castrol VMX-M. Seems all good to far, and shifts a bit smoother then the old oil that was in there!

Please. Somebody, just tell me what i need to buy......!

post-140263-14387447541883_thumb.jpg

Your gtfour is a 5 speed correct?

If it is not crunchy then put in a normal gb fluid as recommended in one of these pages.

Use lsd fluid for your rear diff (not needed for front but you might as well because it takes a bees dick worth of fluid)

Transmax z for remainder.

Just presume your car is a gtr then take advice from here.

Thanks, I have the transmix z. So that's the attesa and transfercase out of the way

(one shop in town had it)

And they recommend castrol axle EPX 80-90 for the front and rear? Haven't opened it yet because I feel sus about it. And also they said that I don't need to change the gearbox fluid..... So that makes me think they don't know. Just going off that fluids chat on the computer. And I don't really bother because the aren't and er34 gt-fours listed... Then he told me that my car is rwd.. But yeah, it is manual. Iv had it for 7 years. It's not crunching into gears, it's just getting hard to select reverse and 1st when cold. Think it could be all factory fluid. Because when I first got it I was the second owner in Oz the previous owner had it for a year, and when I first got it, it had a big ass blue oil filter with Japanese over it. Old dirty spark plugs.

Going off topic

• 2 years later...
On 07/09/2017 at 8:21 PM, danny14 said:

Hey guys who uses redline trans oil and what's the difference between the syn trans Castrol

I use Redline MT90 because its an actual GL-4 spec lube instead of Castrol and most other brands which are GL-5. 

The Nissan boxes are supposed to use a GL-4 although most people use GL-5, which apparently isn't good for the brass synchro gears. 

I use Redline MT90 because its an actual GL-4 spec lube instead of Castrol and most other brands which are GL-5. 

The Nissan boxes are supposed to use a GL-4 although most people use GL-5, which apparently isn't good for the brass synchro gears. 

Ok cheers for that what about penrite pro gear oil

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
I recently changed over to the OEM gearbox oil.
The gear changes were never as smooth before, I'm very happy with that oil and it's not expensive either.

You mean Nissan oem oil?

On 9/6/2018 at 12:21 PM, danny14 said:
On 10/21/2017 at 7:42 PM, Torques said:
I recently changed over to the OEM gearbox oil.
The gear changes were never as smooth before, I'm very happy with that oil and it's not expensive either.

You mean Nissan oem oil?

Hi there,

Yes, the standard Nissan gearbox oil ..

NISSAN MT-XZ GEAR OIL PASSENGER VEHICLES SAE 75W-80 KE91699932

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NISSAN-MT-XZ-GEAR-OIL-PASSENGER-VEHICLES-KE91699932-1-LITRE/163151777634?epid=1315215982&hash=item25fc9a8f62:g:K-QAAOSwAldZ0lte

Hi there,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NISSAN-MT-XZ-GEAR-OIL-PASSENGER-VEHICLES-KE91699932-1-LITRE/163151777634?epid=1315215982&hash=item25fc9a8f62:g:K-QAAOSwAldZ0lte

Ok cheers. I recently changed my box and out mt-90 redline in it I believe now that this may be the incorrect oil. Pushing 490kw through stock box also ahhhhhh

3 minutes ago, danny14 said:
10 minutes ago, Torques said:

Hi there,

Ok cheers. I recently changed my box and out mt-90 redline in it I believe now that this may be the incorrect oil. Pushing 490kw through stock box also ahhhhhh

No worries ... 490KW .... that will do :) Good man!