SAU Community

R33 Airbags And Steering Wheels

ferni

Can anyone provide any information/wiring diagrams for R33 Airbag systems?

Here is what i have figured out so far.

R33 GTR S1 have a big fat airbag, and look like this:

post-7973-1204266786_thumb.jpg

Behind the airbag is this black box:

post-7973-1204266727_thumb.jpg

Behind the steering wheel is this:

post-7973-1204266767_thumb.jpg

Coming from out of the circle thing behind the steering wheel (called a clock spring i think?) comes just 1 cable/plug. 4 wires, which plugs into the black box in the 2nd pic. From that black box comes single wire for the horn, and a 2 pin cable which plugs into the airbag.

R33 GTS S2 (1996) and R33 GTR S2/S3 (1996+) have the same looking steering wheel, like this:

post-7973-1204266850_thumb.jpg

Behind this wheel i have found 2 different layouts.

One has a Silver metal box similar to that found in the S1 GTR airbag wheel, a bit smaller, and same setup, 4 wire plug going to this box and 2 wire plug coming out of it into the airbag. Looks like this

post-7973-1204266795_thumb.jpg

The other layout has no box at all behind there and just a wire for the horn. I'm pretty sure that the clock spring behind the steering wheel has 2 plugs coming out of it, one for the horn and one 2pin that goes straight into the airbag... and has a transparent peice of plastic where the other wheels have a box. Like this:

post-7973-1204266835_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what the box inside the steering wheel is for, the silver or black one that takes the 4 pin wire and outputs a wire for the horn and the 2 pin connector for the airbag?

sorry ferni dont mean to hijack.

what a coinsidence, i was about to post some help asking how to get the airbag off. i have a metal weight ringing around everytime i turn my steering wheel. kind of like a loose klunk sound. metal on metal. now it hits my horn, so when i turn the wheel (a corner) the horn goes off. its driving me nuts and other motorists who think im crazy

i seriously cant find out how to get the wheel off.

any help from anyone would be awesome

also ferni howd you score a new steering wheel? i need one badly.

cheers

Edited by jake33

It's easy to remove the steering wheel.

There are 2 small black plastic covers to the right and left of the steering wheel, remove them, behind there, there is 2 T50 tamper proof torx bits (you can buy a set of them for about 10 bucks from bunnings or anywhere). Remove them, then the airbag/center will just pull out.

Better to not unplug the airbag if you don't have to, you can get to the bit you want to remove without actually unplugging the airbag. A big phillips head screw driver and you can remove the 2 screws holding the bit that is making the noise, either fix it and put it back in or just leave it out.

As for a new Steering wheel - put up a WTB in here, or keep an eye on the FS section, or contact a wrecker, or get one from yahoo auctions japan :)

as victorians will know i had a pretty bad accident with the airbags going off

when they put them back in i had a red light on the dash telling me to check them

this was because the sensor in the center console of the car was damaged and that tells the car that the airbags have been re fitted.

(according to the repairer)

the passanger airbag in a S2 breaks the windscreen as it pushes the flap of the dash in a upward direction creating a impact with the lower half of the windscreen

airbags stink alot, and fill the cabin up with smoke.

It's easy to remove the steering wheel.

There are 2 small black plastic covers to the right and left of the steering wheel, remove them, behind there, there is 2 T50 tamper proof torx bits (you can buy a set of them for about 10 bucks from bunnings or anywhere). Remove them, then the airbag/center will just pull out.

Better to not unplug the airbag if you don't have to, you can get to the bit you want to remove without actually unplugging the airbag. A big phillips head screw driver and you can remove the 2 screws holding the bit that is making the noise, either fix it and put it back in or just leave it out.

As for a new Steering wheel - put up a WTB in here, or keep an eye on the FS section, or contact a wrecker, or get one from yahoo auctions japan :P

ah cheers mate. yeah i thought it so... there is just so much going on in there i didnt know where to start. not to mention im paranoid as hell the airbags going to go off in my face!

cheers for the help

EDIT..the yellow circular part is the clock spring or contact reel which just carries the wiring for the horn and the airbag

Edited by tm_r33

if you car has the module in the steering wheel it wont have one in the center console, SSS pulsar is the same

the yellow circular part is the clock spring or contact reel which just carries the wiring for the horn and the airbag

Great information, and this is what i thought, but wanted someone to confirm.

If you have a module/sensor under the centre console then it won't have one inside the steering wheel. If you do have one in the steering wheel it won't have one under the Centre Console.

So to confirm

95 R33 GTR S1 have the sensor in the steering wheel, and not under the centre console.

96+ R33 GTR S2/S3 have the newer type steering wheel with the sensor under the centre console, and none in the steering wheel.

So If the drivers airbag goes off, you need to replace the airbag AND the sensor, depending which one you have - either in the steering wheel or under the centre console.

Can you confirm this info is 100% correct 2GU UP?

• 1 month later...
with nissan you have to replace the module once the bag fires

so yes modle will have to be replaced if the bags fire in all models

Hmmm thanks that's useful to know!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Mate,

This topic has been covered a few times but you cant put a series 2 wheel on a series one and have the airbag work. Ive tried to but apparently its got something to do with the series two wheels being connected with a passanger airbag.

Unfortunately series 1 owners are stuck with the ugly series 1 wheels or putting an aftermarket.

I ve managed to fit a series 2 wheel to my series one.

All you have todo is connect the horn wire from the steering wheel to the blue wire

coming out of the clock spring.

However your airbag light will stay on and you won't have a working airbag

so I removed the airbag bulb from the back of the dash cluster.

I figured if your going to put a aftermarket steering wheel you won't have an

airbag anyway. At least this way it still looks factory if the police pulls you over

and it updates the interior at the same time.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to post in an older thread but i am also interested to trace the horn wire back to the engine bay.

The person who owned the car before me had the metal weight in the airbag steering wheel come off and activate the horn randomly. All he did was disconnect the horn. Since then the relay has burnt out and so has the wiring from the realy mount to the horn.

If anyone can enlighten me as to what wire i need to tap into to re-run the horn wire that would be great

Chris

• 1 month later...
sorry ferni dont mean to hijack.

what a coinsidence, i was about to post some help asking how to get the airbag off. i have a metal weight ringing around everytime i turn my steering wheel. kind of like a loose klunk sound. metal on metal. now it hits my horn, so when i turn the wheel (a corner) the horn goes off. its driving me nuts and other motorists who think im crazy

i seriously cant find out how to get the wheel off.

any help from anyone would be awesome

also ferni howd you score a new steering wheel? i need one badly.

cheers

Mine's f**ked too. How did you go with it? Did you end up getting a new steering wheel? I'm thinking of either getting another series 1 wheel or the whole series 2 dash+wheel (if the airbag works, just for the missus).

Hi Mate,

This topic has been covered a few times but you cant put a series 2 wheel on a series one and have the airbag work. Ive tried to but apparently its got something to do with the series two wheels being connected with a passanger airbag.

Unfortunately series 1 owners are stuck with the ugly series 1 wheels or putting an aftermarket.

What if you buy the series 2 dash with the series 2 wheel? Will that now work? I heard they work hand in hand but not 100% sure. The only other issue would be the loom.

• 1 month later...

Is there any sensors behind the steering wheel area that relay steering angle to sensors on the rack or hicas? or if any of the plugs u have show in this thread arent plugged in what would happen?

Cheers

Daz