SAU Community

Make Your Own Neat Looking Cold Air Intake/cai!

WYTSKY

just to add with the pod filter sitting infront of the bar it can be done and you will not have to change you filter almost every week if you get the right pod

it will be a bit of a pain making a pipe to keep the afm safe in the engine bay (you really dont wanna get this wet) then run the pipe to the front of the bar and use a pod filter thats been coated with oil (k&n filters are coated in a thin oil film) which will help water bead of it if it gets wet. just dont drive through a puddle

Its a nice thought, however, as alot of people will say, and as I have learnt(I have since changed my pod a long time ago from the pics), oil based air filters can cause issues with the afm and most generally recommend to stay away from it, thats why if you use a non oil one, cleaning it will be a weekly or atleast monthly chore.

BTW evil_weevil looks very shmick, definetly the way I would have gone if I didnt go perspex. I didnt know if the funnel would make a difference either but it is there just for good measure.

Adam

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just a warning when washing your car.

i used the car wash last night in my car, went for a long drive plenty of bugs so i attatcked the front pretty full on.

then just out of curiosity i popped the hood to see if and water got in, YEP water made it way through the hole when my Pod is and all around the area was wet, bottom of the filter was wet, even the bonnet had a decent amount of water on the sound proofing material.

oh yeah this was without a hose or pipe guiding air directly to the air filter. after that little insight last night, planning of going high flow panel filter now, keep things legal and alive

but can be avoiding if you take care around the area, but there is always puddles

good luck

Yeah, just looking at it, as I have HKS piping kit also it looks to be near impossible, there is not much space.

I want to put a box around the pods to hide them from cops but am concerned as the pods will then get no air to them at all.

Looks like I wont be able to box the pods

Did similar on my 33, except i used 4'' TPR high temp ducting and a 45 deg pvc fitting and a 4" pvc flange in the old intercooler pipe hole. Works fantasticaly, going to fit an aluminium diverter plate to stop so much water getting in the engine bay in winter though.

Yeah, just looking at it, as I have HKS piping kit also it looks to be near impossible, there is not much space.

I want to put a box around the pods to hide them from cops but am concerned as the pods will then get no air to them at all.

Looks like I wont be able to box the pods

I did this near 5 years ago (oddly enough with a VN inlet + the nice bellmouth into my CAI box :blush: ) on my R32 GTR, so I can't see why this can't be done on your R34 GTR. just ensure the resonator box is removed.

RBPOWA: you got that much water in??? I had a little sollution to this... the pipe I used to feed air into the pod, I aimed slightly down, so that if any water would get up that way it drip straight out, which has been fine and I have checked the heatsheild and cai quite a few times and it has been fine. the only thing I have to avoid is spraying water up there at the car wash :cheers:

i rigged one up last week, didnt even see this thread until just now..

my R32

22kuft.jpg

nnmob6.jpg

33otc2v.jpg

yeah front bar is gettin a bit rooted.. used to sit about 2" lower than in those pics.

Edited by Char

• 2 months later...

Nice one, i did the same thing but did a bush mechanic style and used a plastic potplant and put it round the poddy so the air catches, nice diy post : ))

• 3 weeks later...

i have 70mm black flexi pipe i got from clark rubber just cable tied in place.

im looking for something different though as i dont really like this one too much it is quite small, but it was my first diy so i liked it at the time.

getting a carbon airbox this week from just jap that i ordered on wednesday.

• 2 months later...

what I want to know is how you were able to cut through the apron with a set of downlight hole saws :) Aren't they for timber/giprock? Mild steel hole saws are like $50 and then you need the bit to fit it... All up $100 bucks for a tool I will probably never use again.

But from the looks of things it worked a treat, nice neat job mate :P

what I want to know is how you were able to cut through the apron with a set of downlight hole saws :blink: Aren't they for timber/giprock? Mild steel hole saws are like $50 and then you need the bit to fit it... All up $100 bucks for a tool I will probably never use again.

But from the looks of things it worked a treat, nice neat job mate :P

Thanks mate,

i am the same as u, was never really going to use it again... so just wanted to try something cheap and effective that i didnt care if i killed, after a min or so the metal got hot and weaker and then after a couple of mins i had a perfect hole and still a very usable cheap hole saw set if i ever needed.

Adam

• 4 months later...

I did my gtr34 last month but used the std airbox as it has a plugged up funnel(from factory) leading into a hole in the inner left guard. I unplugged it when I first got the car and the induction noise was a lot louder and in the high rpm range it would pick up a little quicker. Later I removed the std funnel and made the hole a little bigger as it lead down to the left side intercooler hose air vent. I shoved a adjustable pvc hose in the airbox rooting that towards the vent next to the intercooler hose. I put a drift panel filter in the std airbox and took off the std intake which locates at the top of the airbox which made more induction noise and now it has 2 hole to breathe from. I'm glad nissan made it a bit easier with the r34 by setting up a funnel to a hole in the engine bay but plugged it to restrict the car for the owner to unplug it if they wanted. With a inverted carbon bonnet which lets hot air out like on the z tune, this would make taking off the top air intake on the std airbox a lot more benificial. But I'm not sure if the z tune roots a pipe from the side panel i down to the lower bumper side vent.

• 7 months later...
i rigged one up last week, didnt even see this thread until just now..

my R32

22kuft.jpg

nnmob6.jpg

33otc2v.jpg

yeah front bar is gettin a bit rooted.. used to sit about 2" lower than in those pics.

uhh old thread lol

where do u buy intake piping like that?

found one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-MULTI-FLE...sQ5fAccessories

but i'd rather walk into a shop and buy one D: not a fan of waiting to get stuff shipped over here.