SAU Community

90 Skyline Gtst Injectors

HKS Intake, Full Hks exhuast From Turbo Back, Gtr Front Mount intercooler, HKS SSQ Blow off valve.

I was looking into new injectors because My cars doing what every other skyline seems to do. seems like its choking out and spitting and sputtering after like 4k rpms. ive replaced the MAF, spark plugs, tested coil packs, new coil pack harness, new fuel filter, new air filter, cant find the problem. so i was going to try injectors next. cause i had a different intake on it before and it did it really bad then it doesnt do it as bad with this one on it. and i was talking to one of the local japanese machanics here and he said something about the air fuel ratio. like it was getting too much air he said. so instead of putting my stock air box back on and restricting the air. id rather put more fuel in.

Might be hitting the excess air flow protection.

Only if you change the turbo and computer should you think of changing injectors or Air flow meter.

Standard injectors should handle up to 1 bar on stock turbo. But you will need your computer chipped or new ECU/SAFC to do this otherwise you will get huge cuts in the power.

on my 32 with a 33 turbo pushing 14psi on stock injectors i was only gettin to 90% duty cycle (approx) so i doubt if your runnig a stock turbo you will be maxing out the injectors. and like has been said, if you put bigger injectors in you need some sort of ecu to tune them.

have you looked at you fuel pump, 32s are of the age when stuff like can start failing. what is your fuel pressure, and is it holding pressure thought the rpm range?

also check out your cas

HKS Intake, Full Hks exhuast From Turbo Back, Gtr Front Mount intercooler, HKS SSQ Blow off valve.

I was looking into new injectors because My cars doing what every other skyline seems to do. seems like its choking out and spitting and sputtering after like 4k rpms. ive replaced the MAF, spark plugs, tested coil packs, new coil pack harness, new fuel filter, new air filter, cant find the problem. so i was going to try injectors next. cause i had a different intake on it before and it did it really bad then it doesnt do it as bad with this one on it. and i was talking to one of the local japanese machanics here and he said something about the air fuel ratio. like it was getting too much air he said. so instead of putting my stock air box back on and restricting the air. id rather put more fuel in.

oh jebus...

what he means is that "he" thinks that the tune is a little lean. as in too much air compared to fuel that is mixed.

puting your air box on instead of pod has nothing to do with this.

surely where you are in Japan, you can find a dyno to have a run.

this will give you a printout of what your A:F mixture is.

also, how much boost are you running?

DO we have a fuel pressure gauge? is it the top right one? i thought that that was oil pressure. hmmm im not sure.

that IS an oil pressure guage.

no stock Fuel pressure gauge on skylines.

You make no mention of changing your 1990 model Fuel pump.

before changing injectors which will require a tune afterwards, perhaps replace the 18 year old fuel pump with a new item from one of MANY brands to choose from depending on your budget.

and how exactly did you "test" the coil packs?

as in, you tried a set from a car that is working fine?

and what gap is on the spark plugs?

what kind of spark plugs did you use?

No i havent changed the fuel pump yet. it has about 90,000 klicks on it. i have new NGK spark plugs. not the iridium but like the Ngk-r i think it is. and i believe they came pre-gapped. but i could check real easy. what should they be gapped at? Boost is stock. No i tested them by taking one out with a spark plug in it. touching the head of the spark plug to the block and turning the car over to see if each one sparked. and all did.

No i havent changed the fuel pump yet. it has about 90,000 klicks on it. i have new NGK spark plugs. not the iridium but like the Ngk-r i think it is. and i believe they came pre-gapped. but i could check real easy. what should they be gapped at? Boost is stock. No i tested them by taking one out with a spark plug in it. touching the head of the spark plug to the block and turning the car over to see if each one sparked. and all did.

Use some NGK copper plugs, BCPR6ES

They come gapped at 0.8mm which is fine for an Rb20 running 10psi+

Make sure you check the gaps before you put them in, just to ensure they are all evenly set to 0.8mm

did your skyline come with Nissan Service books with each service interval up to 90,000kms stamped when it was serviced?

My guess is No.

the logical assumption is that your car does not have 90,000kms.

that would be

5000kms per year.

416kms per month

104kms per week.

do you think that this could be true?

seriously?

testing the coil packs at idle or while cranking will give you nothing.

it's a totally different environment in there when 10psi of air is blowing through there and things are moving at 6000rpm.

I would suggest the following things first, and I must have posted this a hundred times.

1.) take out those spark plugs and gap them to 0.8mm (if they aren't already - at least take them out and check that theu are, even if the pack they came in said they were)

2.) Take out the coil packs and tape them up... below is instructions I gave another guy on here about 2 days ago..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/mr_f*k/PLUGGGGF.jpg (replace the "*" in the image name with "u") - it's an image someone else used and SAU blocks that word.

tape between very bottom black line and the very top red line.

Start at the bottom Black.. go up, then down, then up and finish up top

I taped going upwards (each loop of the tape going over half the last loop).

I went all the way to the very top (the red line in the image), then back downwards in the same fashion (half over the last loop of tape).

then back up again and finished up the top.

I did it slowly and tight

Use good quality Electrical tape.

these 2 things will cost you next to nothing.

the next step is new Fuel pump.

definitely before injectors.

it will be cheaper and the more likely cause over injectors.

Have you been to japan? Yes i believe it has 90,000 k. for one it was very very clean when i got it. i purchased it Bone stock. completely. stock exhaust and radio and everything. people dont drive long distances in japan. especially arounf the tokyo area where i am. simply because you can get there alot faster and cheaper by the bullet train. and yet traffic still seems to be horrible. mostly big trucks on tiny roads. it takes me about an hour to go 25k. seriously.

ok ill try that later this week or next week.

No I haven't been to Japan.

Traffic sounds like fun.

do the log books show that the car was ALWAYS in Tokyo?

if you believe it to be legit 90,000kms, then that's up to you.

Let us know how you get along with the problem

Edited by GTST