SAU Community

Changing Leds In R34 Dash

I bought some leds and wana get them on (speedo, fuel gauge, oil etc including Air Conditioning leds), does anyone have an install guide they can show me, I found install guides for 33's and 32's but none for R34's. Is it hard to do? How long would it take? Any help would be great!

Edited by MellowYellow

About an hour...

Firstly unscrew screws holding the plastic cover on around the shaft of your steering wheel. Remove these. Then lower the tilt of the wheel to its lowest possible. There are two screws (from memory) holding the cluster plastic cover to the top of the dash, remove these.

Then the plastic front facia should pull out (might need a flat headed screw driver to lever it out)

Then your basically into the dash, so the screw from there are visible. There are 3 clips holding the wires in the dash at the rear, these are a bitch, and will take the most time stuffing around. For advice, once the LEDs are in, DONT fully clip all of these back in, push them enough so the dash has power, but not so they are clipped. This is because if you have the polarity wrong on the LED and some one turn on, your back to square one with getting the clips undone.

The cluster itself is very tight to remove. Work around a couple of ways, angles tilts etc til you get it. From then its time to put it all back together. CHeck the LEDS are working first.

As for the Triple gauges, well the air con vent below simple pops out (Flat head screw driver again). Then there are i think 3 screws, and the triple gauge cluster is out.

As for Air con, i dont know cause i didnt do these.

Hope this helps!

About an hour...

Firstly unscrew screws holding the plastic cover on around the shaft of your steering wheel. Remove these. Then lower the tilt of the wheel to its lowest possible. There are two screws (from memory) holding the cluster plastic cover to the top of the dash, remove these.

Then the plastic front facia should pull out (might need a flat headed screw driver to lever it out)

Then your basically into the dash, so the screw from there are visible. There are 3 clips holding the wires in the dash at the rear, these are a bitch, and will take the most time stuffing around. For advice, once the LEDs are in, DONT fully clip all of these back in, push them enough so the dash has power, but not so they are clipped. This is because if you have the polarity wrong on the LED and some one turn on, your back to square one with getting the clips undone.

The cluster itself is very tight to remove. Work around a couple of ways, angles tilts etc til you get it. From then its time to put it all back together. CHeck the LEDS are working first.

As for the Triple gauges, well the air con vent below simple pops out (Flat head screw driver again). Then there are i think 3 screws, and the triple gauge cluster is out.

As for Air con, i dont know cause i didnt do these.

Hope this helps!

Cheers that should help a lot thanks!, about inserting the leds.. is it pretty straight forward? or is there wiring to do?

ok hopefully u guys are still around to help cos im kinda doin this now... lol.

ive got the first cover off, although i cant take it completely off because theres a black tube and a white connector holding the cover any idea what it is? is it ok to unplug?

now im gona unscrew the screws holding the cluster and look for that pain in the ass u mentioned.. bbs! haha

p.s i like ur lights!

Edited by MellowYellow

lol ok i did it, and unscrewed the 3 screws, now do i have to yank the whole box out, i see 2 black clip things at the top/back part of the cluster do i unclip then pull the whole lot out?

basically theres the front casing which is black and the back casing which is white do i separate them or do i pull both out while there stuck together?

Edited by MellowYellow

hahaha lol now i see the clips and yeh there a bitch. once i get the clips off i dont even know if theres room to get the frikin thing out and my steering wheel is all the way down. haha should be ok

Ok, got all clips off obviously that dash wont come all the way out right? so im doin in while its in there, just tilt it back and i can reach and see everything ok.

Now my question is which ones do i replace? i removed on and it looked like my new leds are too thin for the socket..? bbs see if i can try it..

Once you unclipped the three connectors from behind, try pulling the steering wheel towards your body and taking it out "slowly" to the left... eventually it'll come out, it's tight but you can do it without taking your steering wheel out.

Once out you'll see pretty clearly where the led's are meant to go.. there's two to the left two to the right (grey ones), and one for the odo lcd display (black one).

Hello boys,

Taking my break at work now and checking what's with the LED thingy :banana:

Shouldn't you guys be at work now??

~~Teo

haha Teo brother! Im a personal trainer remember, i work in the morning and night mostly, so i go to the beach and sleep in the afternoon lol.

Once you unclipped the three connectors from behind, try pulling the steering wheel towards your body and taking it out "slowly" to the left... eventually it'll come out, it's tight but you can do it without taking your steering wheel out.

Once out you'll see pretty clearly where the led's are meant to go.. there's two to the left two to the right (grey ones), and one for the odo lcd display (black one).

Ok ill try swapping globes and the 180 degree swap thingy, because only one half of each gauge seems to work (speedo and rpm) cant get the temperature going either. Fuel is spot on. nice n bright tho so far haha.

haha Teo brother! Im a personal trainer remember, i work in the morning and night mostly, so i go to the beach and sleep in the afternoon lol.

Lucky bugger. I still have 4 hrs to go

Did the LEDs come out nice? I've been told that the dash LED looks crap on series 2

Edited by hotchoc

Lucky bugger. I still have 4 hrs to go

Did the LEDs come out nice? I've been told that the dash LED looks crap on series 2

haha i love it till i have to go back for the evening. Yeh it looks nice i just have to get the temperature light working, im on the case. I'll send you pics when its done mate. I havent heard or seen examples about the series 2's.. why so different?

lol. yeh i got it done. It looks good it took me so long because in the end i found out it wasnt the globes or the upside down positioning of the sockets, it was actually 2 sockets were blown or not working (tested a working globe in a working position and still didnt work). to fix that problem i took the soscket from the little fuel light, put the led in that, then put it on my temperature gauge then presto all my dash is now green. i bought blues aswell incase i get bored of green.

Thankyou very much Granthem and Howie! Cheers boys I appreciate your help a lot!

Edited by MellowYellow