SAU Community

Trust TD06-20g stage one

Since buying the turbo I have found out it uses a 16cm exhaust housing, which is quite large. We will fit it as is but if it is laggy I'll look into a smaller exhaust housing and depending on how much it is I might go down that path. Here is a picture of the turbo and wastegate together, as you can see the wastegate has been attached to the exhaust housing. It will be fitted tomorrow and my dump+front pipe remade to suit the external wastegate on wednesday all going well should be at the dyno wednesday night. I'll post the graph once its done and some installed pics as well.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I thought I got it for a bargain but then we pulled the exhaust housing off and found the engine it'd be on before (mazda rx3) let an apex seal go and it went through the exhaust housing and shattered the exhaust wheel. I cant go into it a great deal as I am going through ACCC with the shop that sold it but to repair it completely will cost and arm and a leg as trust dont sell spare wheels. So we've tried a compromise and we will see how it goes, if it works great and makes max boost before 3500rpm I'll be happy. But as I said it came off a rotary and they flow a lot more gas hence the bigger exhaust housing, so it could be a lag monster yet. btw: I bought it without the wastegate, the wastegate I bought new and was another $650 or so.

Guest 570CK

Just eerrrr errrr about how they mounted the wastegate..

As for lag. My turbo Kicks in just before 5,000 in 4th. hehe

Grant at per4manz machined the exhaust wheel, I dont know who he uses to balance the turbines. I can find out. The wastegate being mounted like that works very well, this isnt the first time he's done it like this :D

Guest 570CK
Originally posted by rob77

Grant at per4manz machined the exhaust wheel, I dont know who he uses to balance the turbines. I can find out. The wastegate being mounted like that works very well, this isnt the first time he's done it like this :D

errrrr again :)

Guest 570CK

Its easier / cheaper to do it that way.

"it's good for controlling boost"

No better control then having the wastegate coming off the manifold. Plus it disrupts the flow of air thats suppost to flow into a smaller chamber to blow onto the turbine.

Anyway, external wastegates control boost better. So I'm confused why slapping a wastegate there would make any difference to boost control.

:D

Rob it will work, just changes the characteristics of the exhaust housing.

TD06-20G has a bigger compressor wheel than the TD06-19c - and the exhaust housing that Rob77 has would be considerably larger than what is normally specc'd for an RB series engine. Then again it will probably make alot more power due to that fact.

jms used this turbo on their drift 1via.. made 250rwkw on 1.5 bar i belive.. (rb20).. cept wastegate was put on custom steel block welded on to the existing manifold.. if it has good response for drifting on a rb20 i would say it would be alright on rb25. they also had a rotary style zoorst housing.

I am not sure if putting the external wastegate on the exhaust housing would be such a good idea. I'm no expert, but wouldn't that setup increase the amount of heat as the exhaust housing is gonna be damn hot, and so is the wastegate? I think the real problem with that setup is that you will need a good manifold to suit. Will the manifold be nice flowing and one that is matched?

Anyway, would be interesting to see the results. The turbo does seem pretty big, hopefully not too laggy on the RB25. What happens if you want to change to a smaller exhaust housing? You'll have to weld off the wastegate too right? Another thing, is the manifold a high mount? If so, won't you have problems shutting the bonnet of the car with the wastegate sticking out? Or is it a low mount manifold? Room in the engine bay could be a problem. I guess you could always cut a hole in the bonnet and let the wastegate stick out ;)

Update: turbo's installed car is at the exhaust workshop today getting a new dump+front pipe made up to suit the external wastegate. I'll be going with one that plumbs back into the exhaust gases pipe so that its a bit quieter than a screamer pipe... last thing I need is a yellow sticker :) Fingers crossed it should be ready tonight and we can roll it onto the dyno tonight.