SAU Community

Gtr Rb26dett Or Supra 2jz

RB26DETT or 2JZ  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys,

I am currently in the market for a weekend toy. Being a Nissan enthusiest, I began searching around for an R32 GTR Skyline. The other day I got the chance to drive a lightly modified 2JZ Supra and all I can say is OH MY GOD! It was quicker than any GTR i have driven and the torque was amazing. I have read up a few "GTR Vs Supra" articles however I cant seem to make up my mind.

Basically which ever I buy, I'd spend approx $10,000 on performance with stock internals.

So far this what I have gathered:

GTR (RB26DETT)

- Higher reving engine

- More responsive than Stock 2JZ

- Stock Internals are good for approx 500HP

- Very strong running gear

- 4WD = Better traction

- Expensive to modify and maintian

Supra (2JZ)

- 3L engine = more torque

- Stock internals are good for approx 800HP

- RWD = poor traction

- Gains much more power than RB26 with less money

So please feel free to share your knowledge and oppinions. Which woud you go for and why?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it was just a weekend street car, I would definitely go for the JZA80 supra. I've always loved the supra's looks and engine's power potential. Only thing is that they're not the lightest of cars so they won't be the best in the hills, but the GTR isn't all that light either.

Supras are also less of a 'hoon' car to the police from what I've heard, so that must be a good thing.

Edit: On your search, don't forget to try and buy one with the larger 4 pot brakes. :P

Edited by adam-__-

As it will be a toy i will say get the Supra.Nothing better than getting the tail out every now and again.

Strong motor,good gains to be had with little mods. Get the Supra Sarkis :P

I was looking into getting an Aristo about 2-3 months ago.I could get one landed for 13k,Grade 4 with 70,000 on the clock.The thing was imaculate. 2J Aristo ultimate street sleeper.

But then blew the cash on the rebuild lol

Ive been meaning to know One of my friends wants me to race this guy who apparently has a 1000 HP Supra , Ive only Got 320 Kw's At 4's On 18PSI on my R34 GTR , Do i stand any chance on the street ,Someone please tell me ill be dumping of on 4WD Tracktion while his still trying to control it ??

Edited by MRGTR911

500hp on stock internals of a rb26??? what drugs are u on buddy lol

sure the supra does hold more power on stock internals.. but 500hp for an rb26? u could make 500hp @ wheels on a stock rb20 :P

Supra...if they are both stock.

I have a GTR and I bought some what stock....

After doing 3 main seals(realizing in the end it was the oil pump)...engine partly out

1 water leak behind the motor(dumb place to put a plastic hose)..remove and refit gear box.

3 clutches...first organic..did not last long with a few mods....second heavy duty...

3rd finally bitting the bullet with a Jim Berry

1 harmonic balancer

Not to mention the mods I installed during this time.... :P

GTR.....if they have both been modified.

A GTR owner would have spent a bucket load on it compared to a Supra owner,

not to mention all the things that let a GTR down have been replaced already.

Fuel/Oil/Water pumps......Turbos...computer...clutch...afms..etc etc

All the hard work has already been done for you :P

Their should be two answers to this vote.

Ive been meaning to know One of my friends wants me to race this guy who apparently has a 1000 HP Supra , Ive only Got 320 Kw's At 4's On 18PSI on my R34 GTR , Do i stand any chance on the street ,Someone please tell me ill be dumping of on 4WD Tracktion while his still trying to control it ??

If it is a street driven car with street tyres he has no chance.....

A correct launch with the power you have will get you low 11's in a quarter mile race. :P

If he shows up with drag slicks and a roll cage...then you need to worry :P

After all he may be able to deliver 1000 horses to the ground after lighting up his tyres.

Finally if your talking about racing on a track he has no chance.

hope I have answered your question.

supra ftw. you say the skyline has a strong driveline, well the supras is stronger. everything is tougher and more reliable, and you will make more power, easier

but it seems you've already found the car for you, if you found the supra to be so amazing to drive, then thats what you buy, what makes you happy to drive, not what everyone else will tell you is faster because of this or that.

if its a datto 120Y that you truly enjoy driving, then buy that over the 911 turbo. simple huh?

Supra's are a fun car, which for a weekend toy can serve many purposes. U can go spoke up a track, run some decent 1/4 mile times or even just cruise around with the top off. Problem with them atm is they are expensive. FYI most girls ive spoken to prefer the look of a supra to skyline.. but thats not all girls.. Buy a V8 for a weekend car... pleanty of fun to be had with them

If it is a street driven car with street tyres he has no chance.....

A correct launch with the power you have will get you low 11's in a quarter mile race. :bunny:

If he shows up with drag slicks and a roll cage...then you need to worry :laugh:

After all he may be able to deliver 1000 horses to the ground after lighting up his tyres.

Finally if your talking about racing on a track he has no chance.

hope I have answered your question.

Hey man yeah exactly what you said is what i figured , now dont get me wrong i think A supra withthat much power would be a obsolute animal , But i dont think it would be much on the streets, thats all im worried about .

Secondly i would Drive a GTR Over a Supra Anyday....

Thanks for your input guys...

Im not saying i didnt enjoy driving the GTR, i loved it however on the straight line the supra had more balls... on the corners the GTR stuck like glue!

Looks wise, the supra is alot more modern in shape and its interior is more eye appealing compared to the R32 GTR.

I might just take a couple more for a drive before i make up my mind.

But out of the two which one is cheaper to modify and gain same power?

Edited by QRI05E

Thanks for your input guys...

Im not saying i didnt enjoy driving the GTR, i loved it however on the straight line the supra had more balls... on the corners the GTR stuck like glue!

Looks wise, the supra is alot more modern in shape and its interior is more eye appealing compared to the R32 GTR.

I might just take a couple more for a drive before i make up my mind.

But out of the two which one is cheaper to modify and gain same power?

Im gonna take a stab n say the Supra simply because of engine rebuilds. R32 GTR's go thru engines and gear boxes like no tomorrow, where Supra's dont. I think parts for skylines are more readaly available but Supra's arent too hard to come accross either.

Supra would be my choice, 2jz is a great motor... if your going in a straight line as they are pretty heavy, being the only really big disadvantage

Just bolt a GT35/manifold to it, injectors and management and i don't think there is much more too it for 500hp. RB26's cant get there that cheap.

Tracked RB26's all die with 500hp, there hasn't been one stock motor last yet, so 500hp is a limit without a doubt, the failure rates are too high to even try deny it ;)

we talkin 500hp @ wheels or motor.. because if its motor.. then neither engine needs any mods other than exhaust and some boost to easily crack 500hp @ motor.. if its @ wheels then both cars with both same mods will do it just the same..

gt35 + manifold will cost the same on both motors

management will cost the same on both motors as will injectors and fuel pumps

both cars will be able to max out the turbo u have chosen on stock internals.. only difference is the 2jz will do it for longer and quicker.. and as for stock blocks not lastin the race.. they do and with ease

the 2jz just does it alot easier and for alot longer hahah but prep both blocks and u will see the the rb26 is better suited to racing as that is why it was built in the first place.. the 2jz IS THE BEST DRAG RACING 6 CYL U CAN EVER BUY

I now await to be burnt :P

EDIT: forgot to add that the 2jz im speakin of its still stock hahah id love to see a stock rb26 make well over 1200hp

Edited by Bumblebee