SAU Community

Gtr Rb26dett Or Supra 2jz

RB26DETT or 2JZ  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting read...

My main aim for the car is 90% road and 10% Drag strip (no drift or circut)

I have spoken to a few tuners and they all said "Nissan build the best 4cyl and Toyota build the best 6cyl"

Whether I get a GTR or a Supra im just going to do all the bolt on mods to geting going fast. I have seen some 2JZ's with the HKS T04Z and they are pumping 500+ rw/hp on stock internals! Now i have yet to hear of a stock RB26 with a T04Z even coming close to that... Have any of you?

That black Supra THNKB4 was tuned by Adam at J.E.M and i have seen this thing on the dyno and it is an animal

http://justenginemanagement.com/Michaels_supra.html

Yet another animal Supra:

http://justenginemanagement.com/finkb4.html

Then again... this looks like sex on wheels too!

http://justenginemanagement.com/wild_gtr.html

So damn hard to choose... i think the best way is to take my time... not to rush.. when I find that Supra/GTR that wins me over... ill just buy it!

Edited by QRI05E

ive said this a million times...

Both engines cost the same to get 500hp ffs

they both handle more than 500hp with stock internals so easily

never seen a T04z equipped gtr makin 500rwhp?? not even close?? dude.. im makin 410hp with a pair of hi flowed twins... no big deal. a T04z will make a shit load more then that.. even a GT35R equipped GTR makes more then that

In sayin that, so will a 2JZ. The 2JZ will also spool the turbo up quicker makin more torque sooner than the GTR, but it doesnt rev as high meanin once it comes into stride u havent got all that much time to play with it. 7000rpm limit compared to 8500 for a GTR or if ur game.. add another 500rpm to each.

To top it off the 2jz is also more reliable @ higher hp outputs. That is probably due to the 2jz being built slightly stronger, but it also doesnt rev as high or hard so it will naturally be more reliable.

Now the problem with a Rwd car that has massive midrange torque as well as a strong top end is that it only has 2 wheels to transfer all that extra torque and power = excessive wheel spin. Of course tyre selection can reduce this, But a GTR which will produce less torque down low doesnt have this problem.

Having a higher RPM limit also makes the power more usable in the sense that instead of having 500nm @ 2000rpm which isnt as comfy as u think, it makes the same 500nm but @ 4000rpm. Torque isnt delivered as brutal because 4000rpm might be 40km/h instead of 20km/h. To add to that is its 4wd system allowing the brutal transaction to be delivered just as brutally to 4 wheels using the same tyre selection.

BUT!!!!!!!!!! a 2JZ in a GTR using a 4WD system would be optimal.

Tell the oodles of people that have had their RB26's die in a nice fashion @ 500hp (or less) that you think its fine.

Im sure they will all believe you and it will make them feel 10 times better about thier rebuild

Reality is though, they dont last. The sooner you understand this the better off your posts will be for this forum.

So many people have lunched them for many varying reasons, stock part failures and so on where the 2JZ has far far less documented problems (read:basically none) at that level.

When he said close/t04z etc, he means in terms of not shitting itself at some point down the line, which just about every RB26 would making 500hp.

ive said this a million times...

Both engines cost the same to get 500hp ffs

they both handle more than 500hp with stock internals so easily

never seen a T04z equipped gtr makin 500rwhp?? not even close?? dude.. im makin 410hp with a pair of hi flowed twins... no big deal. a T04z will make a shit load more then that.. even a GT35R equipped GTR makes more then that

In sayin that, so will a 2JZ. The 2JZ will also spool the turbo up quicker makin more torque sooner than the GTR, but it doesnt rev as high meanin once it comes into stride u havent got all that much time to play with it. 7000rpm limit compared to 8500 for a GTR or if ur game.. add another 500rpm to each.

To top it off the 2jz is also more reliable @ higher hp outputs. That is probably due to the 2jz being built slightly stronger, but it also doesnt rev as high or hard so it will naturally be more reliable.

Now the problem with a Rwd car that has massive midrange torque as well as a strong top end is that it only has 2 wheels to transfer all that extra torque and power = excessive wheel spin. Of course tyre selection can reduce this, But a GTR which will produce less torque down low doesnt have this problem.

Having a higher RPM limit also makes the power more usable in the sense that instead of having 500nm @ 2000rpm which isnt as comfy as u think, it makes the same 500nm but @ 4000rpm. Torque isnt delivered as brutal because 4000rpm might be 40km/h instead of 20km/h. To add to that is its 4wd system allowing the brutal transaction to be delivered just as brutally to 4 wheels using the same tyre selection.

BUT!!!!!!!!!! a 2JZ in a GTR using a 4WD system would be optimal.

ummmmmmmm... ooookkkkkaayyyy :P .

have a look on supra forums mate. im sure they could shed some light on this issue

most supras are built over here for dyno comps, they can be set up to go quick on the quater easy, just need to look to the US for how to do it. that purple supra from millenium ran 10.0 with a 2.2 60ft, when that gets sorta its easily gonna run mid 9's, and i think hes on radials aswell, not slicks, could be wrong on that htough

Don't know how easy it is? Seems like it's not as easy as a gtr to run 11's at least?

The standard supra gearbox seems to have less strength than the gtr gearbox too.

Alot more to a car than just it's engine is the moral of the story I think.

i think i disagree with the box as well.. ive always known the 6 speeder to be as bullet proof as its engine.. '

If th engine was the decider on what was a better car, then the supra would win hands down. But like Rev210 said, theres alot more to a car than an engine..

because of this, the GTR always wins hands down.. just look @ its track record around the entire world :P

yeah only issues with supra gearboxes are the W58's (non turbo) when people turbo there car. the supra box is tougher than any skyline box (exclusing R35 obviouslym as its an unknown) bar the 34 GTR, because its the same box.

never heard of the GTR being king of the streets but yes brakes are better and 4wd obviously. supras are better value for money because they maintained the same design while the skyline spanned 3. that said a 2001-2002 manual RZ would be getting up there with cheap GTRs in terms of price, since GTRs have come down so much