SAU Community

Gtr Rb26dett Or Supra 2jz

RB26DETT or 2JZ  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So therefore a Supra TT would be on par with an R34 GTR?

This means the Supra TT is better value for money... $25,000 Vs $45,000

Is this right?

Supra's have there mechanical faults to when pushed over 500hp....chat to your mechanics..they will tell you.

As far as better value...yes...if you are comparing apples with apples...but I am afraid you are not.

A Supra should be compared to a Monaro.

Lots oif power to compensate for the bad road and track handling abilities.

Why are comparing a GTR34..built from 98 to 01 with a car built from 93 to 97....

If you are going to evaluate value for money...I would be looking at comparing it to a GTR33

Thus making your value for money concept a little more sane.

A Supra had no room inside for a 6 foot bloke like myself...

I should know I jumped into one before I bought the GTR.

Plus I have two kids which easily fit and are comfortable in the back seats.

You really need to compare a GTR with a 911...and not a Supra

After all it was built to beat it on the track

Don't get me wrong..I love the look of a Supra..it is ashame though..its large power and good looks don't

make me comfortable nor keep me on the road safely.

GTR rules on the drag strip..on the track...and..on the road.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Supra's have there mechanical faults to when pushed over 500hp....chat to your mechanics..they will tell you.

As far as better value...yes...if you are comparing apples with apples...but I am afraid you are not.

Why are comparing a GTR34..built from 98 to 01 with a car built from 93 to 97....

If you are going to evaluate value for money...I would be looking at comparing it to a GTR33

Don't get me wrong..I love the look of a Supra..it is ashame though..its large power and good looks don't

I totally understand where your coming from however i am comparing Straight 6 TT Vs Straight 6 TT

From all that i have read up, it seems the 2JZ are far more stronger than the RB26 (Stock Vs Stock) However when you compared Modified Vs Modified it seems the RB26 is superior but also costs a hell of a lot more too.

My dream car is most certainly an R34 GTR and if I had the cash i'd have one in my garage now however value for money as in $$$ = Power, Looks and Package the Supra seems to be more favorable.

Hey Sarkis,i was at Adams on Friday.That "THNKB4" dyno sheet looks insane.Though the power band is fairly narrow.

He had a few very high 300rwkw 2J dyno sheets there.

(We are thinking of using both the PFC and the E11v2 on my car) :3some:

engines for engines

2jz is better than rb26. and when it comes to going just to say 500rwkw it will cost more in the rb26 to get there because you need pistons/rods etc

BUT when ur building both motors with forgies and rods.. they end up costing the same

same no. of pistons same no. of rods both balanced 2 cams each

valves are same and collets and springs...

they end up costing the same.. but thats if your building the 2jz for some strange reason.

supras were built till 02 dude ^

Sorry...I stand corrected....

So....$ for $...a 2001 Supra TT in the same condition as a 2001 GTR34

would fetch around the same price....Supra Approx $39K...GTR $45K

So no real value for money idea...this is what I was pointing out.

As far as comparing the two engines....this is just stupid.

Most GTR owners want the displacement to be over 3000cc...thus the 26/30,25/30 conversion threads

I wonder if we would ever have this topic discussed if a GTR came out with a 3.1L.

If you really want to compare...a 2JZ should be compared with a 3L Turbo VL motor...these can be

made quite reliable...at jack all costs.

This topic is totally useless, I would prefer a Porsche 3.2 flat six TT than a Toyota hilux motor in my car. :3some:

Care to name them or are you just jibber jabbering?

Bad handling? What is your idea of bad handling? Just because something might not handle as well as a GTR does not mean it has bad handling. A Supra will outhandle a monaro any day of the week.

As has already been stated the Supra was built until 02, the same as the 34 GTR.

I'm 6'1 and I have no problems sitting in my Supra, I have a friend who is 6'4 and has no problems sitting in a Supra, so unless you are strangely proportioned, you should fit fine in a Supra.

A GTR is a good car, but don't blow your load over it, there are plenty of better cars out there.

engines for engines

2jz is better than rb26. and when it comes to going just to say 500rwkw it will cost more in the rb26 to get there because you need pistons/rods etc

BUT when ur building both motors with forgies and rods.. they end up costing the same

same no. of pistons same no. of rods both balanced 2 cams each

valves are same and collets and springs...

they end up costing the same.. but thats if your building the 2jz for some strange reason.

I have a funny incline to thinking it could well be cheaper potentially...

The US has parts amore, and their dollar doesn't look as flash these days when we are getting 93 cents IMO.

Would be interesting to price a full build actually

anything can be done potentially cheaper.. my build isnt costin very much even thou im using HKS parts..

being in the trade gettin parts @ f**k all isnt hard.

ur average price for pistons on a GTR is 1300 for Arias. Eagle rods are around 750. so thats 2050. bearings add another 500 for mains and conrods. 2500 has ur 1000hp+ engine (without labour of course)

extras including boring (nothing to do with type of engine) balancing (same thing) putting it back together (same thing)

hks step 2 cams are 490 each for me, whether its a rb20/25/26 or 2jz. they cost the same. The gears cost the same @ 200 each (off the top of my head)

springs and collets to suit are 465. valves are usually around 40-50 each brand dependant and material.

just as an example my engine is costing me $6605. the engine itself will hold well over 1000hp, but it will never make it.

after all, i am just building a street car hahah but there u go. 6.6k for massive potential. Supra isnt gonna be any cheaper, if it is at all

both built motors = supra still cheaper. 3.4 stroker kit is like 8 grand as opposed to 30+ for the OS giken kit. yes i know we have access to RB30's etc but just pointing out that supras are still cheaper to mod because of the massive amount of development from the US, who dont charge ludicrious amounts of money for there parts

in my opinion, you seem to have swayed to the supra already. i think it depends on what you want to use it for, personally i believe a gtr is a more streetable item in terms of handling traction etc, but to be honest i do miss a bit of sideays action from the rwd clubbies ive driven many of times. If your chasing power it can be debated forever, are you really going to see this thing to 500hp? do you really know what its going to cost (id suggest to ask some supra guys what its cost them). if your chasing a half RELIABLE 500hp, id say prepare to flop out 10-15k. i think everyone would agree that more power = less reliability and vis a vis.

looks cant be debated, its a matter of personal opinion and its going to vary depending on the person. (i mean some people think ceffiro's are good looking *vomits*)

i think before you blow your load on a supra jump in a gtr with some work and see how you find it, i cant say ive driven anything that handles as well before, but then again im a bit bias to these cars as i own one.

and whoever said 500hp is achievable with a zorst and some boost, pull off the crackie, ive got both and more and arnt making anywhere near that.

good luck

Edited by depalma-bcnr33

in my opinion, you seem to have swayed to the supra already. i think it depends on what you want to use it for, personally i believe a gtr is a more streetable item in terms of handling traction etc, but to be honest i do miss a bit of sideays action from the rwd clubbies ive driven many of times. If your chasing power it can be debated forever, are you really going to see this thing to 500hp? do you really know what its going to cost (id suggest to ask some supra guys what its cost them). if your chasing a half RELIABLE 500hp, id say prepare to flop out 10-15k. i think everyone would agree that more power = less reliability and vis a vis.

looks cant be debated, its a matter of personal opinion and its going to vary depending on the person. (i mean some people think ceffiro's are good looking *vomits*)

i think before you blow your load on a supra jump in a gtr with some work and see how you find it, i cant say ive driven anything that handles as well before, but then again im a bit bias to these cars as i own one.

and whoever said 500hp is achievable with a zorst and some boost, pull off the crackie, ive got both and more and arnt making anywhere near that.

good luck

Your reply would have to be the most honest so far. I am going to talk to a few supra owners as well as some tuning shops to see what they cost to reach the 500HP mark. I will also test drive a couple of worked GTR's for comparison.

If a stock '01 Supra is going to cost me near $40G's whats another 8 - 10G's for an R34 GTR? I have yet to see a supra own a GTR off the lights :thumbsup:

Thanks

Hmmm see a supra own a gtr off the lights? can happen depends on alot of factors, but it can. Remember that no matter what you do to ur car chances are there is gonna be something faster out there. if you want a car to get you accross a set of lights faster then something else why not look at a rexy? pick a MY99 up for 15-20g n then spend 15 more in it and i rekon it would probably do better then a gtr across a set of lights. I think you should just test drive a couple and see how you like them.

Also im 6foot and i fit into a supra no problems at all... so i want whatever he is on.

Looks, i agree cant be debated, matter for you.

If your going to the occasional drag i would suggest the supra simply because they have a stronger motor and a stronger gear box, so if all goes well you will end up spending less over the period of time. Also if its a weekend car then a bit of tyre burning will be fun wont it? Remembering that it can be fixed.

If you are only concerned with a street machine id call you a moron because with the laws the way they are today, you will loose you license, car, may see a couple nights in a cell (depending on age and attitude) and build up a nice debt due to all the fines and what not that you will have to pay for, and thats if your lucky, what if you kill someone? Leave the racing for the track not the street.

Again its your choice not ours, go to www.supraforums.com.au and have a chat to some of them about their cars, they have a wealth of knowledge and test drive. Take your time in buying and buy what you really want.

i personally love the 2j...its awesome..

but in real life i have a little example for u. basically comparing a rb25det to a 1jz 2.5ltr single turbo.

with exhaust and 10psi i got 256hp, and a mate with the equilivant toyota engine with exhaust and 16psi got 230hp.

now when comparing nissan to toyota, nissan definitely got it right.

but u gotta love those 2j's :)

Edited by r33cruiser

for me (after driving both) the GTR - as mentioned it has usable back seats + nicer driving position, nicely balanced cars.

BTW - my 1989 GTR is making in excess of 500hp (has been for ages) and it is fine? yes - it's internally stock, bolt on's only. I'd be interested to see what RIPS has to say about all the comments of RB's not withstanding more than 499.99hp stock before letting go of their lunches LOL

i personally love the 2j...its awesome..

but in real life i have a little example for u. basically comparing a rb25det to a 1jz 2.5ltr single turbo.

with exhaust and 10psi i got 256hp, and a mate with the equilivant toyota engine with exhaust and 16psi got 230hp.

now when comparing nissan to toyota, nissan definitely got it right.

but u gotta love those 2j's :)

Dont get too cocky. I would take a VVTi 1J any day

Edited by Granthem