SAU Community

Air Rifle

Mick

Forget all that stuff about guns and crap. Do what I did, Go Find an Archery Store, U can pick up a good hunting bow for around 600 bucKs including 6-12 arrows, Deadly accurate up to 50 metres, Best of all, No Licence Required!!!. and To go Hunting all U require is a permit :laugh:

slightly on topic, theres a guy in my course that constructed a trebuchet. threw bowling balls bout 300m. oh and he has a scorpion made out of ute springs in his shed. sends broomsticks thru wheelie bins

hey you can't assume he's going to shoot ppl in the butt with it, caus thats like assuming everyone that buys a skyline is going to be a hoon

but he does want to shoot it in his garage which is not being responsible

akeenan i specificaly stated the reson i wanted one, keep your own asumptions to your self ..

seeing as how I own one and many other different types of rifles I can assure you its people like yourself and reasons like yours that make it difficult for the real and responsible enthusiasts !!!!!!

hehehe The fact that you stated that you are after it just to shoot in your garage will never secure you a shooters license , as it is illegal too discharge any firearm in a designated built up area (assuming you are)....

The only way you are able to get a shooters license these days is to prove that you hunt (or intent to hunt) by written consent by a farm owner . Otherwise prove that you are (or intend) to shoot on a range i.e. by being a member an approved shooting range or being a member of SSAA (sporting shooters association of Australia) .

exactly !

Whats not responsible about wanting to shoot at a target setup in the garage ?

There is nothing iresponisble about it andits narrow minded condasending pricks like yourself akeenan that give a bad name to the so called "real and responsible enthusiasts"

You think that just cos u have a license that no one without one is responsible enough, what makes u so special and responsible, cos u payed a few bucks and sat a basic writen test that makes u more responsible than me ..

Anyways after checking out more info about obtainin a license i think i'll hold off till i look more into joining a club, its only target shooting i was interested in realy, just a bummer it has to be a proper target venue .. not like the old days ..

Thanks to everyone for the info ..

Edited by Mick

Hey does anyone know more info about joining a club ?

If i join a club in order to get an air rifle, how aften do i need to attend the club in order to keep the license?

for instance am i required by law to attend once a week or at least once a month, or is there no minimum and just having club membership enough?

Sorry for all the questions, and yeah i know i gota ring round some clubs to find out for sure ..

its only target shooting i was interested in realy, just a bummer it has to be a proper target venue

as i said being responsible . . . ive been shot with an air rifle and it doesnt tickle, ive also been shot with and air rifle pellet ricochet and that too doesnt tickle... imagine another person being hit with a ricochet pellet, or shrapnel or anything cause of you shooting in your garage! . .

however as for your last question. If you do decide to apply for a category A and B longarm license. You have to join a club. As that is the reason for you wanting to apply to have a rifle license... to shoot targets. Now, you dont have to attend the range so often. I dont live in Australia and I am still able to hold my license.... when I was living in Australia I would go to the range maybe once every 2 months, maybe 3... maybe 6. Once you have the license there isnt really any rule how often you go.

If you want to obtain a pistol license and join a pistol club though... you have to attend meetings every so often and go shooting more regulary...... that is the reason why our air pistol was sold.

Also if your going to go to a range and have decided to do the right thing and not shoot targets in your garage, dont be a pussy! Buy a real gun 222, 308 or something there no point buying a pissy air rifle when you can get something a lot more poweful with the same license.

Edited by akeenan

im pretty sure there are a minimum No. of range visits required for useing the target shooting reason fo ra license.

also there are pretty strict storage rules too, with random inspections highly likely.

AND even if you get an air rifle from a mate or cousin etc... you need a license to purchas ammo, so when you run out... you gotta got buy more somehow eh!

My ate had his A&B lic in Tassie, and it was un-transferrable to another state too... so once he ran out of pellets he couldnt get more as the shops wouldnt sell em to him. (plus he looked like a 'yobbo')

ANd a .177 is NO TOY... they can have more power than a .22 rimfire....

(also a .22 with ultra low velocity 'Zimmer' ammo and a 'flash supressor' made by berocca is 5x quieter than any air rifle...)

OK thought I'ld jump on in here.

I'm ex president of a then decent Target rifle club affiliated with TRV (target rifle victoria) and VRA (victorian rifle ass)

first thing you need to do is find yourself a local club:

http://www.trv.org.au/clubs.htm?

go and talk to these people and they will give you all your answers.

Shooting targets in a shed will be illegal anywhere in melbourne, so

A don;t do it

B don;t tell them your even thinking of doing it.

You will need to join a club first, then once this is done go to the Cops and apply for your shooters License.

you will need to sit a safety course and answer a quiz, (all the answers to the quiz are told to you in the course.

then you need to apply for a permit to purchase a firearm, stating why you want it and how it will be stored.

they will come and visit you and confirm how it is stored. (and they can and do appear at random to check it is there)

once this is done you may go buy your gun.

Alternatively if you know a primary producer you can get a letter from them stating they give you permission to shoot vermin on their property and then you can use this and not the gun club as your reason for getting license, (all the rest in the same)

All this will cost you around 300-400 b4 you even get around to purchasing a gun.

(that's License, club membership storage safe etc.)

now if you are caught not storing the gun correctly, (and ammo for that matter) or doing somehting illegal eg shooting in a bilt up area, you will loose gun, license, and a big wad of cash, not to mention a criminal record.

now if you just want to have a bit of fun and do a bit of shooting. Most clubs will ahve their own guns, join, get a license and use theirs, It will be better than anything you will want to pay for, and you can learn a true sport.

So I guess what I am saying is, unless you own a farm or have ready access to one join a club use their gear.

like all activities we hate idiots who buy a gun illegally use it in a stupid way and ruin the image of all of us.. (same as we don;t tolerate hoons ruining our image here)

To get any class of firearm licence you have to be a member of a club, take a safety course, have ligetimate reasons for holding the licence and propper seperate storage area's for the firearm and the ammunition. Oh yeah you will get a background check done along with any referees that you supply which I cant remember but I'm pretty sure it was 2 people that have known you for longer than 18 months, if you still keen your best bet is to get a JP and hopefully you dont have any major convictions. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nimmo

Hey thankyou to all for the wealth of information on this subject, its realy apreciated.

I read on the license that i can apply for Registration of Interest in hunting pest animals on Crown Land from the Department of Sustainability and Environment.

So if i went this way about it where and what kinda areas would that let me hunt in ?

I know crown land but what exactly is that ?

does that mean like i can legaly go bush and hunt ?

Cos joining a club would be good, my sister in laws dad virtualy lives at a club that i should be able to get membership cheap, but hunting every now and then sounds fun also.

And if i state on the license that the reason is for hunting on crown land am i still able to shoot at a rifle range?

Does anyone know more about this crown land permit and about what kind of places are actualy crown land ..

Thankyou..

Edited by Mick