SAU Community

Exhaust Cam Gear

Hi guys,

I looked up an old adjustable cam gear thread but couldnt find any information about the compatabilitys with the standard ECU.

Going by the post everyone got the best results on the RB25 with about 3 degrees advance?

Is this ok, and will I see any benefit on a Standard ECU? is it safe etc?

Thanks guys,

Bill

Hi guys,

I looked up an old adjustable cam gear thread but couldnt find any information about the compatabilitys with the standard ECU.

Going by the post everyone got the best results on the RB25 with about 3 degrees advance?

Is this ok, and will I see any benefit on a Standard ECU? is it safe etc?

Thanks guys,

Bill

Bill,

thats 4 degrees retarded on an R33 exhaust cam.

The standard ecu is ok, there is gain to be had.

Is it ok just to enhance the cam gear for the exhaust half of the engine as its often the most restrictive? I dont want to bother mucking around installing a intake cam gear, Ive heard custom works need to be done most of the time to fit new gears??

I doing the timing belt before I wack on the turbos and shit so thought it would be worth while??

I've read 10-15kw max power increase. I'd only do it after the main restrictions are removed (intake/exhaust/boost) or when doing the timing belt.

Let us know if you end up doing it :blush:

Ive also heard that there is no increase for a r34 NEO ENGINE but I doubt that can be correct, its obvious fact cars are made to beand quiet and prevent detonation with the stock exhaust for regular users. We all change this with big exhausts and so on, so I doubt this can be true. To make it quiet there has to be some restriction and cam gears are an obvious choice.

I for some reason remember DAN666 coming up with this result, I also remember him trying to figure out why his car was not pushing to his target powermark i.e restricted.

Ill give it a go with a cheepy JJR cam gear and she how she fairs, cant give no result, at least it will look hot lol

Ive also heard that there is no increase for a r34 NEO ENGINE but I doubt that can be correct, its obvious fact cars are made to beand quiet and prevent detonation with the stock exhaust for regular users. We all change this with big exhausts and so on, so I doubt this can be true. To make it quiet there has to be some restriction and cam gears are an obvious choice.

I for some reason remember DAN666 coming up with this result, I also remember him trying to figure out why his car was not pushing to his target powermark i.e restricted.

Ill give it a go with a cheepy JJR cam gear and she how she fairs, cant give no result, at least it will look hot lol

hi decimate

my R33 certainly made some gains mid and top end at or around 4deg retarded. (seems worthwhile changing to an adjustable exh. cam gear if you are replacing the timing belt since you are already in there)

the neo powered stagea only lost power up top. if you are trying to move the curve around they will do something but if you are looking to make more top end i suspect you will spend money better saved towards cams.

Edited by wolverine

The thread you found was probably the 1 I posted up a couple of years ago from my old '95 R33 GTS-t.

Here is the dyno sheet I posted in that thread:

post-1296-1209289434_thumb.jpg

It cost me about $250 supplied and fitted (back when the yen was about 70) and was the best money I ever spent on the car (altho it was basically stock haha). The extra midrange was noticable as soon as I drove out of the workshop and it felt so much different to drive.

Edited by benm

I've read 10-15kw max power increase. I'd only do it after the main restrictions are removed (intake/exhaust/boost) or when doing the timing belt.

Let us know if you end up doing it :thumbsup:

CRD manage to squeeze an extra 8kw out of mine with just exhaust cam + new belt :D

Yeah I'm thinking something cam related with my car, not sure if I should go the route of poncams or just try frigging around with and adjustable gear.

• 6 months later...

im thinking of getting an adjustable cam gear (exhaust) ive got all stage one mods done (full 3" xhaust, pod + CAI, front mount, heavy duty clutch, boost controller @ 10psi)

gonna get a safc soon, will a cam gear be worthwhile?

whats the average cost to get one fitted?

cheers