SAU Community

R34 Tiptronic Transmission Problems

Guest TR34GT

Oh man, this just started happening to me about a month ago. After reading everything I'm kinda scared this will cost me an arm and a leg. I don't know if its a coincidence but it only happens when the weather is really cold? I also haven't got my 100,000km service and I'm at 106,000km, could getting it serviced maybe fix it?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

I have two vehicles here with the same issue.

Ive tried, new and used solonoids, new valve body, ECU, Wiring loom and double checked it, Shift control unit (drivers kickpanel)

• 2 months later...

happened to me tonight. was having some fun in the wet and it didnt wana get out of 3rd. turned car off, turned it back on A/T started flashing, turned off again, turned it back on and it was gone. about an hour later after some spirited driving happened again.

is my box on its way out?

anyone got some solid answers?

happened to me tonight. was having some fun in the wet and it didnt wana get out of 3rd. turned car off, turned it back on A/T started flashing, turned off again, turned it back on and it was gone. about an hour later after some spirited driving happened again.

is my box on its way out?

anyone got some solid answers?

what does a/t light mean sorry for noob question

Well hopefully you all get a solution before you need a new box like I did :-(

And the worst part is the new box was speed limited again doh! Not that u can do it often, but occasionally it was nice to get her up to 220-230 now it just bangs against it at 185, sucks but probably for my own good lol.

how often did it happen?

mine only does it when i do slides in the wet, like holding in 2nd...

though ive noticed that it only happens when, i come to a corner with it in 2nd and it drops into 1st itself and i dont realise and i smash limiter in 1st a few times before changing into 2nd.

thats when the light usually comes on.

Read back through the thread, I think most peoples happened after going around corners, mine seemed to happen when I would pull up going downhill, then when taking off again it would be in limp mode (locked in 3rd)

how often did it happen?

mine only does it when i do slides in the wet, like holding in 2nd...

though ive noticed that it only happens when, i come to a corner with it in 2nd and it drops into 1st itself and i dont realise and i smash limiter in 1st a few times before changing into 2nd.

thats when the light usually comes on.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys....

just last nightgoing back to wollongong to sydney i've lost my 1 2 4 gear, i was so stunned.from every traffic light i had to wait until it get to 40 so i can move lol....TO ALL YOU GUYS in HERE what is the best option?etc..Change Gearbox or get a shift kit solenoid? Thanks for your help in advance...JAy-R :blush:

OK just to highlight there are two types of issue you can run into.

1. Excessive sideways action (normally a stpuid amount) will get the gearbox to lock into 3rd, it's a safety feature. I've experienced that only at skidpan days and still only managed it twice in the whole day.

2. Most common is the solenoids shitting themselves.

There is a diagnostic procedure in the workshop manual that involves a sequence of braking and gearshifitng that will run the transmission diagnostic, this is a good start to really delve into the problem as it is very specific and will highlight 100% if it's the solenoids or other components.

never did any sideways action yet lol....my friend tells me just to leave it on drive when im driving instead of using the tiptronic is he right about his theory?i was thin king to my self that they put the tip control so u we can use it lol.....so yeah might be the solenoid!....

never did any sideways action yet lol....my friend tells me just to leave it on drive when im driving instead of using the tiptronic is he right about his theory?i was thin king to my self that they put the tip control so u we can use it lol.....so yeah might be the solenoid ohh yea r34 25GT non turbo

i have a question now lol. i got a shift kit fitted in my r34 and it got a service and all that as well. now driving it has been fine no dramas at all, i went to the petrol station and filled up then went to start my car up ( i turned it to the point before the engine starts cranking over) and the A/T light started to flash and it got me worried, but i started it up it went away and drives fine so i drove for a bit and tried it again to see if it flashes and it did. then i tried again and it stopped flashing. i drove home turned it off and tried again and it was fine. should i be worried or just watch it closely.

i have a question now lol. i got a shift kit fitted in my r34 and it got a service and all that as well. now driving it has been fine no dramas at all, i went to the petrol station and filled up then went to start my car up ( i turned it to the point before the engine starts cranking over) and the A/T light started to flash and it got me worried, but i started it up it went away and drives fine so i drove for a bit and tried it again to see if it flashes and it did. then i tried again and it stopped flashing. i drove home turned it off and tried again and it was fine. should i be worried or just watch it closely.

Well it doesn't flash for no reason :banana: I'd try pulling the codes off the transmission ECU to see the cause.

ok so i did the diagnostic check but im still confused it did 2 delayed flashes at the beginnning then 13 close together flashes what does that mean?

edit: ok i think i get it correct me if im wrong but if the first 2 flashes are delayed then they are the problem ones. which means they are the speed sensors so what does that mean? and what do they do?

OK you should have a big delay, that indicates you need to start counting. Then 13 flashes, whatever flash is slightly longer is the problem. So i'm guessing you're seeing flash number one as more delayed (ie big delay, then flash one delayed?)

Which is Vehicle Speed Sensor 1 (Output shaft speed sensor) it's the sensor on the gearbox visible from underneath on the drivers side, orange/brown plug I think.

May be something as simple as needing the contacts cleaned, seeing as it's random (and something they may have touched fitting the shift kit)

I'd unplug, clean and clip back on.

Edited by 666DAN

OK you should have a big delay, that indicates you need to start counting. Then 13 flashes, whatever flash is slightly longer is the problem. So i'm guessing you're seeing flash number one as more delayed (ie big delay, then flash one delayed?)

Which is Vehicle Speed Sensor 1 (Output shaft speed sensor) it's the sensor on the gearbox visible from underneath on the drivers side, orange/brown plug I think.

May be something as simple as needing the contacts cleaned, seeing as it's random (and something they may have touched fitting the shift kit)

I'd unplug, clean and clip back on.

thank you very much you are a champ. ill check it out and go for a drive later on to see if i get the flashing again.