SAU Community

R34 Gt-t Or V35 350gt - Coupe Or Sedan

Hi - I am hoping to buy a Skyline soon. I am having trouble deciding between a R34GT-T and a 350GT (manuals).

Are they about the same performance-wise? Can they both be modified as easily?

I do like the look of the 350GT (especially if I decide to go with the sedan for practical reasons).

Also, is the R34 GT-T sedan and coupe the same performance wise?

If anyone has recently gone through the same decision, their opinion would be greatly appreciated!

My current ride is an 03 AWD Magna Sports - nice, but I think I need something faster :)

Both are very nice cars, but it will come down to personal preference and what you want to do with the car

If you can't decide, list some pro's and con's. Eg. R34 has more aftermarket support, V35 is a newer car etc. Personally, I went for the R34 as I like it better and its more in line with what I want to use the car for. Also, having more aftermarket support was a big plus.

Both are quite different cars.

The r34GTT is older, not as comfy nor as high tec as the 350gt.

but imo, its more raw, like a blank canvas to work with.

The 350gt is a good car but i think its more domesticated, more luxurious.

Even though i like both cars i never saw the V35 as part of the 'official' skyline family such as the r32,r33,r34 etc. (dont flame me lol)

If you wanna mod and have fun buy the r34 and use the money left over to make it killer.

If you just want something cool to drive around in every day then i would go the 350gt, not to say you cant mod it...but its quite nice stock, unlike the the r34 wher you will likely have to spend more time fixing things up. But thats all part of the fun! :P

I'd probably have to drive the 35 to form a real opinion on it.

But the pros of a 34gtt.

1. Has a 206kw RB25DET NEO. Great platform to get decent power out of without spending squillions.

2. Good range of suspension options which are within budget of most owners. e.g. SK's group buy, off the shelf teins etc.

3. Looks great with the East Bear GTS-R body kit :P GTS-R kitted ER34's probably are the best looking non-GTR skylines bar none.

Just my 2 bobs.

I've got both...love em both! Was looking at selling the GTT after I got the V35 but have held off on that for now as I still can't bear to lose it. Powerwise, both have similar ratings...although the VQ35DE definately has a lot more torque (same powerplant as the 350z). Parts wise they share a lot of similarities with the Z (suspension, GB, Engine etc...)

The R34 is more a sports car by definition...the V35 is a very comfy sports/luxo combination, which is directly competing with the likes of the Lexus IS, 3 series Beemers and C Class Mercs...for a fraction of the cost. If you can afford it, go test drive a 350GT and see for yourself (be warned, there may be no turning back after :thumbsup:

Im not a fan of the v35 design. Personally id go the r34. If it was me and i was looking for a skyline in that price range i'd have to say

i'd buy and r32 GT-R.

Edited by charlie15

its simple..

do you want a sports car? with the ability to be modified and scream "look at me"?

then the R34 is for you...

or do you want a luxury sports car? that you're happy to leave as mostly standard and want something with a bit more class?

then the V35 is for you...

These questions may be best answered by N15m0 :D

1) How do the two compare off the line?

2) What does the handling compare?

3) How does the fuel consumption compare?

Thanks again - I am impressed by how quickly everyone answers!

These questions may be best answered by N15m0 :woot:

1) How do the two compare off the line? The V35 is definately quicker off the line due to no lag and more torque

2) What does the handling compare? stock handling the R34 would have been a tad better. I have since fitted a set of 350z suspension into the V35 (straight fit) and this lowered the car by 1" also put wider wheels and rubber on and handling has been greatly improved. Not forgetting the V35 also has an almost 50/50 weight distribution setup compared to the 34.

3) How does the fuel consumption compare? I did 800kms in one tank driving from Brisbane to NSW, when I filled up had 10L left (mainly highway driving). Normal city driving averaging around 600-700kms. This is with an 80L tank. I would say for a 3.5L V6 it is one of the more fuel efficient cars. The R34 avraged around 400-500kms per tank from a 65L tank.

Thanks again - I am impressed by how quickly everyone answers!

I see the R34 as the sports car.. for the less mature pplz

and the V35 as the luxury family car.. for the (more) mature wise pplz lol

depends on your preference.. either way they both good..

...looks like im less mature then. :geek: hahaha

another way to look at it, is why not get the r34 first for fun if your a youngin and then later change to the v35 etc.

i told my friend, go get a evo6/7 have some fun as a kid and then get a luxury car when u hit 28 or something.

Edited by JI34GT

I am leaning towards a GT-T - mainly because it is a bit smaller (9cm less wide and 15.5cm less long) - my garage struggles to accomodate the magna and the V35 is in fact wider (4cm).

Also I like the look of the 4door R34 compared to the 4door V35.

I am planning to get something around the $20 - $25k mark. I like AWD cars - but hopefully the GT-T's HICAS will keep me out of some trouble...without the fuel consumption of AWD and a twin turbo...

Now to decide between a GT-T or Wrx - the only down side to the GT-T I can see is that the car will be at least 7 years old - probably rusting a bit and perhaps with some faulty electrics - whereas I can get a 2005 WRX for about $25 000.

Has anyone here got the luck of being able to compare a GT-T to a WRX?

I am leaning towards a GT-T - mainly because it is a bit smaller (9cm less wide and 15.5cm less long) - my garage struggles to accomodate the magna and the V35 is in fact wider (4cm).

Also I like the look of the 4door R34 compared to the 4door V35.

I am planning to get something around the $20 - $25k mark. I like AWD cars - but hopefully the GT-T's HICAS will keep me out of some trouble...without the fuel consumption of AWD and a twin turbo...

Now to decide between a GT-T or Wrx - the only down side to the GT-T I can see is that the car will be at least 7 years old - probably rusting a bit and perhaps with some faulty electrics - whereas I can get a 2005 WRX for about $25 000.

Has anyone here got the luck of being able to compare a GT-T to a WRX?

Yeah good choice with the GT-T. As far as sedans go i prefer them to a V35 sedan. Even though i own a V35 coupe :-)

As for the WRX, nah stick with Skylines - but most here would say that. WRX's are a great car, however I really don't like the AWD system in them as it's full time and can take away from fun driving at times.

If you go for a R34 sedan, look into a NISMO bodykit. It's very subtle but gives it a nice look.

Best thing to do is go and drive them all, then decide.

hmm what a predicament r34 or v35, i've always loved 34's they don't really age the're a great platform to modify and the're pretty cheap, now the v35, the more i look at e'm the more i like e'm, with the right kit they look hot (coupe), i think they look like a 350z big brother, and as far as extrcacting a few more ponies out of it there are a few goodies out there, if you got enough fun tickets to throw around how about a nice shiny twin turbo kit :) yeh that would put a smile on my dial.

• 1 year later...