SAU Community

Beer Baron's Epic R32 Gtr Restoration And Build Up - Japanese Style!

Nice.

Hey Barron, how's that SCW car wash? It's near my house and I've been trying to decide whether its worth bothering with lol

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The perfect way to build a gtr. Very impressive. Did you have any bonnet clearence issues with the trust suction kit ?

Hi mate, no clearance issues as far as I can tell. it may take a little adjusting to get right if you have had some problems. :D

Nice.

Hey Barron, how's that SCW car wash? It's near my house and I've been trying to decide whether its worth bothering with lol

yeah they are pretty good mate. I take a lot of cars there so they usually look after me pretty well. they are the only car wash place I will go to now.

swaps for a lil gtst perhaps :P

Looking good!! Extremely jealous!! Congrats to all involved, you are the only person I know to pull down a completley new crate motor :D

p.s Sif epic.... thread is only a day old!! hehehe :) Thought I'd beat steveo to that!!

Richard - nice work.

I'd really like to hear more about the reasons behind rebuilding a brand new crate motor - rather than rebuilding a good condition second hand one or even the original tired one. It just seems to be me a shame to rebuild a motor that doesn't need rebuilding.

Obviously with the crate motor - you are getting everything new, so less risky - but if you are changing most things anyway....

It's an interesting way of doing it - and something I had never thought of -- I guess if the crate motor is not much more moolah than a second hand one - then yeah, makes sense.

I also guess there would be a lot of time (labour) spend on getting the old motor to exactly new spec.

Richard - this project would have been a ball to do - congrats & well done.

Modifying cars is sooooo much fun - and soooo rewarding (when things go right... ha ha)

Wow, fantastic set up BB!!

Congrats!

One little question though: you dont appear to have changed any of the bottom end. Are you using standard pistons and rods?

Or did i just miss something.

Hope she goes to a deserving home! Deserves nothing less.

I'd really like to hear more about the reasons behind rebuilding a brand new crate motor - rather than rebuilding a good condition second hand one or even the original tired one.

My mate has a 32 GTR that's seen its second rebuild. Apparently it's impossible to get the clearances spot on at that stage. So a crate motor is really ideal for a build-up because the clearances are exact.

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's great to see so many people who appreciate it as much as I do. :(

to answer some of the questions, originally this was going to be my friend Marks personal car that he would keep in australia. It was chosen as it had a great body and interior, but sub-par engine which made it a good candidate for a rebuild and upgrade. He was planning to move to aus and asked if he could ship the car to me as it was and then get me to orchestrate it's rebuild over here then take care of it for him till he got here. For some reason he trusts my GTR knowledge and likes my taste in mods, so basically i would have free reign over the mods keeping in mind his goal of a fast, reliable, weekend use street GTR. Then he inquired about buying a 33 GTR crate motor in japan just out of interest and decided that the price was worth it. The plan at that stage was to just install the brand new crate motor and do all the interior and suspension bush restoration work and basically have a brand new but near stock R32 GTR with just mild mods (bearing in mind it was just destined for weekend street use). The reason the crate motor option was so attractive is that absolutely everything in it is brand new from the rocker covers to the sump and every part in between. When you add up all the parts in a RB26 from top to bottom it would cost a bomb to replace then all which is why in most rebuild just basic things are replaced (pistons, rings, bearings, seals and a few other bits and pieces).

So the crate motor was ordered and Prime Garage was enlisted to carry out the work of fitting it. But then we thought with a brand new motor it would be a shame to fit up tired old turbos. So I chose some new HKS GT-SS turbos for it, then after how impressed I was with the Tomei Manifolds and dump pipes I had for my other GTR we decided to get those too. Tets then suggested that some of the crate motors he had used before had pretty average clearances and finishing etc. So we got him to pull it all down and blueprint and weight balance the whole lot. While it was apart we thought it would be worthwhile to make use of his renowned skills as a head work master. To make the most of the porting work I decided to get some small-ish cams which would match the turbo choice nicely and to keep things reliable we bought valve springs to go with it. With more boost and power in mind we bought the metal head gasket kit and fitted that too. You can see how things just spiraled from there. Eventually mark decided he couldn't keep this car as he already had a mint 32 GTR tucked away and his move back to australia was not set in stone, so I took it over. With all the new gear and the power potential now significantly upped I upgraded all the other bits too (injectors, AFMs, piping, intercooler, oil cooler, fuel pump, ecu, clutch, exhaust, brakes, wheels the whole lot basically). The original budget for the rebuild was $10K but it's tripled that fairly easily now. I really can't keep it. When I took it on I already had ordered a big motor for my other GTR and have lots of gear on that too. So as much as I would love to keep this one too I can't afford to :(

Dirtgarage is right, japanese business men pay me well for my 'converstation' :blink: and I'm touched you think I'm cute :(

tbag: yes, it sure does sound beautiful when running. Cams really give the GTR a nice note. :) It sounds so good that even though it still has the original factory stereo in it I haven't needed to upgrade it.

B-man, I think I answered most of your questions in the mammoth post above! :)

Kranker: it's still using factory pistons and rods as considering they were brand new, blueprinted, weight balanced and hand finished plus with the 1.2mm headgasket they were considered more than strong enough for the potential of the turbos. If tuned properly they will more than handle the boost and power of the set-up and considering it's target was street use we didn't want any of the negatives that can come with some forgies (noisy running when cold etc).

godzilla32: thanks for the kind words mate, I've read your restoration thread and your car will be awesome. you will love it even more having done it all yourself. it is great to see the lengths you have gone to just like this build. I really think 32 GTRs are well worth restoring to their former glory!

to all those who asked about price I haven't settled on a final figure yet but it will be in the 30s which for those that know GTRs and can appreciate what they are getting is a steal. The new owner will get over 300 photos from all stages of the build, and all the receipts from it, plus a car that has only done a few hundred kms since it was run in and tuned on the dyno! I have the original owners manual and log book too. It's pretty rare and special to be able to buy a car like this with such comprehensive build history in japan and all the receipts and pics to back that up. The parts cost alone on this car would stretch to the 30s if you were having that work done here let alone the labour and the car cost. For anyone interested please send me a pm and we can discuss. It will be officially on the market in the next week.