SAU Community

HICAS Diagnostic

Lozza150

Put in laymans terms HICAS makes the car easier to drive on the limit but not faster. So if you think you are good enough, lock it and you might gain a bit of lap time. It doesn't start working till you are aggressive with the car, so it won't help you park the car or get around the supermarket easier.

• 1 month later...

OK i have a R33 with Hicas.I cahnges the steering to an after market wheel now the hicas light comes on. I thought it may of been the boss kit but where i bought it from assures me it correct.My fluids are topped up but the hicas light still comes on after about 20 minutes of driving and normally once i reach over 80km-100km per hour approx. If you have a soulution to my promlem it would be great if you can email me at

[email protected]

thanks

My Hicas light comes on now and then. Standard steering wheel. When my car is goingstraight ahead the wheel is rotated a few degrees...is this a possible reason. Or is it more serious. IId just like to get the annoying orange light off the dash. If I pull the fuse when the light is off will this keep the light off or will it just stay on??

Thanks

My Hicas light comes on now and then.  Standard steering wheel.   When my car is goingstraight ahead the wheel is rotated a few degrees...is this a possible reason.  Or is it more serious.  IId just like to get the annoying orange light off the dash.  If I pull the fuse when the light is off will this keep the light off or will it just stay on??

Thanks

From what I know pulling the fuse will cause the light to come on aswell.

My wheel is also not centered when the car is going straight. I assume its just a dodgey install of an aftermarket wheel though (I didnt do it!).

The light coming on shows that there is a problem with the sensors. HICAS kicks in after 80kph. so if the light is coming on that means that the sensors either in the steering wheel or the sensors on the wheels dont line up. My advice is to get the steering wheel re done and get someone to check the angle and camber of your rear wheels. If the light is constantly on then there is a real problem, usually the car has had a aftermarket steering wheel on and had it removed before selling. So if you can, remove the steering wheel and check the sensors, or take it to someone that can do it.

Check your fluid levels too.

Cheers

Loz

• 1 year later...
the hicas light on my car pretty much stays on all the time but occasionally turns off, i have an r32 i was wondering if the diagnostic procedure is the same .

They are different , R32 = Mechanical - R33 = Electronic - id say it saves weight being electronic. Not sure about later R32 GTR models like the 94, maybe have electronic.

No, hicas light does not come on when becomes active.. I noticed some people dont realize their hicas is working, obivously havnt driven enough in other cars. to know the difference.

• 5 months later...

Vehicle: R32 GTR

Problem: After a minute or two the steering becomes heavy, soon followed by the HICAS light illuminating on the dash cluster.

My Solution: HICAS ECU is kaput! This can be located in the boot on the drivers side under the parcel shelf.

How to test yours: Under the parcel shelf three 10mm head bolts hold in the ECU, undo these then unclip the ECU, replace with one from a car with working HICAS. For my test I used the HICAS ECU from a R32 GTSt, worked excellently, only took 5 mins to d the swap and back, and probably about 10 minutes driving it. Hopefully this will make it easier to test the ECU before you buy and fit a lock bar and rip out all the HICAS system.

My problem, which I've had no luck in getting anyone to know what I'm on about:

Sometimes when I turn on my car (not all the time, it didn't do it for around 3 weeks but now it's about every third time I turn it on), the HICAS light stays on. Solid. The whole time it's on, it feels like I have no power steering, eg. the wheel is sluggish and hard to turn.

I've checked fluids. That's all fine there.

I've got a MOMO steering wheel, but the HKB boss kit (HKB = HICAS compliant), so there's no problems there. If there was a problem there, it'd be permanent, not just every now and then.

Anyone got any ideas? I'll be performing a diagnostic this weekend, so I guess I'll post up the results of that then rip the car apart till I can find it. Then lock the damn thing down anyway.

My problem, which I've had no luck in getting anyone to know what I'm on about:

Sometimes when I turn on my car (not all the time, it didn't do it for around 3 weeks but now it's about every third time I turn it on), the HICAS light stays on. Solid. The whole time it's on, it feels like I have no power steering, eg. the wheel is sluggish and hard to turn.

I've checked fluids. That's all fine there.

I've got a MOMO steering wheel, but the HKB boss kit (HKB = HICAS compliant), so there's no problems there. If there was a problem there, it'd be permanent, not just every now and then.

Anyone got any ideas? I'll be performing a diagnostic this weekend, so I guess I'll post up the results of that then rip the car apart till I can find it. Then lock the damn thing down anyway.

consult that bad boy, or try swap ecu with a friends?

i have a small question.... if i start my car (R32) abd just let it idle for about 5 min the light will light up and stay on!!!!! what is this?

And the steering goes real stiff!!!

But when i turn it off and on again, as long as i move or start driving it will be sweet!

just wondering is that a normal thing?

cheers

kezza

Hi Kezza,

Seems that you and CPD are experiencing similar problems, just different signs. My guess is that both computers in each case are dying or are close to it.

Check with some wreckers for a HICAS unit (SSS /Just Jap/ ebay perhaps)

Simple plug and play computer located in the boot on the upper inside of the boot line near the battery.

Try that guys see how you go.

Better yet, get a mate's car and play swapsies and see what happens.....

Cheers

Loz

Thanks lozza, im not sure if i should just leave it till it does die... or get in now and do it b4 it does!!! it only seems to do it sometimes, and its only when your not using the steering... just idling for over 5 min!!! hard to say hey!!! maybe the subs are killing the computer, seeing its so damm close to the subs!!! but thanks for your help :D

kezza

What I'm going to do is rip out the HICAS computer (I'm assuming it's the shiny silver box attached to the underside of the parcel shelf?) and check to see if there's any loose connections in it or the cable going to it. Because it's only every now and then, it might be due to a loose connection, so here's hoping.

Lozza, my problem isn't so much when it sits there idle, it's just randomly (around 30% of the time) when I turn the car on, HICAS light will be on and steering sluggish, and it'll stay that way until I turn it off and wander off, say to the shops. Even then, sometimes it'll be on again when I come back, but all in all, say 30% of the time. But yeah, checking the computer time, methinks.

What I'm going to do is rip out the HICAS computer (I'm assuming it's the shiny silver box attached to the underside of the parcel shelf?) and check to see if there's any loose connections in it or the cable going to it. Because it's only every now and then, it might be due to a loose connection, so here's hoping.

Lozza, my problem isn't so much when it sits there idle, it's just randomly (around 30% of the time) when I turn the car on, HICAS light will be on and steering sluggish, and it'll stay that way until I turn it off and wander off, say to the shops. Even then, sometimes it'll be on again when I come back, but all in all, say 30% of the time. But yeah, checking the computer time, methinks.

maybe this is two problems, but linked to the speed sensor in the dash?

my hicas was fine when the dash fuse blew, worked fine and powersteering didnt go heavy, now it has the dash running again the same old problem is occuring

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem as you, would be good to know if we can find out what it is

• 2 weeks later...

where is the speed sensor? it is now causing me grief, is it a different assembly to the cluster or is it built into the cluster itself? can it be repaired