SAU Community

Mark And Duncans R32 Build

Duncan

The cage will add weight, but not as much as you think. All except the A pillar bars are chromoly and relatively thin walled, so about 40% lighter than CDS.

Getting the main hoop done in chromoly was a mistake. The bar was expensive, and getting it bent cost $180 for the four bends. Not to mention you need to give the exact dimensions and hope that you have it exactly right because there's no take backs.

Next time I'll do the A pillars and main hoop in CDS and chromoly for all the straight bits. Also, now that it has been done once and all the measurements checked, we'll be able to get the bars to fit much closer to the body.

From memory, the tar amounted to 18kgs. At this stage not doing the under body and not acid dipping. Under body worth some weight savings, but would have to be re-coated with something so I'm not sure that the savings would amount to much after this was done.

Everything under the dash is gone. We'll put the top of the dash back, but that doesn't weigh much.

Still not sure what do to with the rear hubs. Would like to do something about HICAS better than a lock bar. New hubs would be nice, but not sure what that will cost and what's involved. Drive shafts are also quite heavy, but again, not sure what a replacement would cost.

russ might be able to give some insight with the rear hubs as his 34 hubs have been modified to remove the hicas bits and eliminate toe change under bump by adding another member to the LCA I think.

it's certainly a good idea if you can get rid of it as even with the lock bar you still have the crappy little hicas tie rods and the tie rod ends which are bullshit expensive to replace and always seem to have some play in them. and toe change under brakes is not nice. :thumbsup:

Love the build :thumbsup:

Awesome pics on page 1, cheap and dirty looking- my favourite.

THANK GOD someone bought that GTR shell and stripped it! That colour scheme is DAMN UGLY :blush:

Looking forward to seeing where you blokes take it suspension & engine wise.

Cheers

Love the build :thumbsup:

Awesome pics on page 1, cheap and dirty looking- my favourite.

THANK GOD someone bought that GTR shell and stripped it! That colour scheme is DAMN UGLY :blush:

Looking forward to seeing where you blokes take it suspension & engine wise.

Cheers

The colour scheme is a rip off of the one Nissan ran in 1991.

i was thinking more replica than rip off. and i like it far more than the winfield livery that all the real ones ended up with :blush:

richard - i need pics of rear hub options - and also indicative price for premade windows! tell me or your boot trim gets it....

angus yeah we have to run headlights, but noone said they have to be factory. small light and intake on one side, small light and fg moulding on the other. looking forward to stealing a copy of someone elses hard development work :thumbsup:

Just in case you DO go for the backyard special, I've heard that perspex is NOT a good material to use, as it scratches very easily and "clouds up" (turns opaque).

Lexan on the other hand is much more durable :banana:

Now I'm certain that Beer Biatch can use his gaijin charms to get better pricing than these, but I have also been looking at Lexan windows, so I thought I'd share my research :banana:

Greenline has TWO sets advertised:

Manufacturer: Stout

Product: Acrylic Windows

Part No.: (GL)OTWNSTOR3201

Price: ¥166,898 (~AUD$1700 plus shipping)

Notes: Comes as a set. Doors, quarters and rear windows. All are 3mm thick.

Manufacturer: CUSCO

Product Acrylic Windows

Part No.: 231 ACRYL A

Price: ¥138,600 (~AUD$1400 plus shipping)

Notes: Door (5mm), rear quarter (4mm) and rear (4mm) windows.

Next up, the guys on GTROC have been tossing this around for aaaaaages. They were chatting about different materials - Normal Lexan or Super Strong "3M Margard Lexan... both thermoformed acrylics, and possible manufacturers. They finally hooked up with a company called "Plastics 4 Performance" who made up a template for the R32 GTR (along with other models) and although it took a while, a few guys have their product now, installed and comments posted in the thread.

I still fail to understand what the GTROC'ers mean by the difference between window "sliders" and "winders", so if you can figure it out, let me know :devil:

Manufacturer: Plastics 4 Performance

Product: Lexan Windows

Price: Approx £600 (~AUD$1300 plus shipping)

Notes: Different thicknesses of lexan or margard available. All replacement parts available. Detailed pricing in the thread on page 3 of the thread.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/36188-r3...ex-windows.html

You guys want to save another 4KGs???

I've got a one piece tailshaft, chromemolly that I had in my car for a while. Bit more drivetrain noise than a stock shaft but hey, race cars are noisy. It was balanced to 300km/h and originally purchased from uas.

I'll donate it for your racer if you guys are interested.

sean, sold at that price :D pm sent

andrew - at those prices it will be local perpex for sure. yes we may have to redo them every couple of years, but meh.

sliders v winders will be about how you can open them. sliders normally are 2 peices with 2 channels and you can slide one ot the others to open them. there are some that use a little sliding window in the perspex so you dont need the channel. as for winders no idea where they got them, i thought all 32 coupes had power windows. unless they made their own up.

I believe the perspex is about $400/sheet (place on Newbridge Rd in Moorebank does it) and you will need 2 sheets if you leave the standard front window.

Okay I'll shove my nose in here,,,only because I'm gunna have to help work on that great looking paint schemed car. You gotta love the original.

I'm with Duncan somewhat on retaining the brake booster plan. I'm thinking a remote booster on the passenger floor area. The Gibson GTR's didn't run a booster on the brakes or on the clutch.

But I see the merit of it. I'll have a talk to our new found friend at

http://www.racebrakessydney.com.au

My sports sedan uses perspex on all the side windows and rear screen,,,so i don't see that as a problem,,,but my thinking is a factory front screen only because CAMS from memory want a 5mm thick screen if it's made from non glass material,,,please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Besides persex scratches very easily and think about Eastern Creek in the arvo with the sun in your eyes,,,you two won't be able to see bloody a thing.

The car really needs the same white wheels as the original but obviously not centre locks,,,and after saying that pricing has to come into it,,,,so does anybody know where the boys could get a close to flat dish wheel at a reasonable price?.

I like the idea of a side pipe out the left hand side and a great way of doing it is to cut part the floor out following the pipe and welding a box section in. It would need to be insulated. I hillclimb with a Mini powered by a Suzuki gti engine which runs this idea and will take pics on the weekend. But that would mean no passengers,,,so thats proberly out.

Enough for now,,,need more beer

Neil.

no mate. beer is fine and passengers are handy but not essential. pics would be great :D

and you are right, centre lock wheels are out of the question. as you know i can't get my head around clockwise to undo something.....

also would love the white wheels but we need something in 18x10 or 18x11 - and if its not cheap it wot happen. unfortnately trends changed and wheels dont look like that anymore