SAU Community

Mark And Duncans R32 Build

Duncan

Duncan's too scared to tell everyone, but the cars going to have, at least in the beginning, chinese turbos. Yes you heard the lunacy here first, but instead of the 2530's I've ordered a pair of chinese turbos and an external 50mm wastegate. I'm pretty confident that the setup will provide a pretty good balance of low down torque and not peter out as happens with internal wastegate turbos.

A/R is .63, which may be a bit laggy, but I'm hoping that they will come on full at about 3800 and boost solidly right through to 7500. I'm a big fan of smaller turbos, but if this doesn't work, I'm going to have a tough time holding Duncan back from the 3L conversion.

I intend to get the turbos properly balanced before going ahead just to make sure, but if they come in alright, then they are going on!

Let the flameing begin!

Mark

we shall see how the yum cha turbos go. personally i'm hoping they will be a winner but the 2530s are going to be hard to beat for this application.

unique1, can't remember exact figure but it was under $5k. its unregisterable, I think it was rejected for sevs compliance so worth nothing except parts....or as a cheap race car :ermm:

we shall see how the yum cha turbos go. personally i'm hoping they will be a winner but the 2530s are going to be hard to beat for this application.

unique1, can't remember exact figure but it was under $5k. its unregisterable, I think it was rejected for sevs compliance so worth nothing except parts....or as a cheap race car :ermm:

lol nice turbo choice :geek: 5k for the car complete thats crazy cheap, any ideas where to find similiar bargains? ive searches my105.com etc and nothing :huh: im looking for a race only one as well, im still deciding between gtr and gtst though, its a tough decision.

yeah mate, cheap unregisterable cars come up pretty often, I posted a $9k R33 GTR up about 6 weeks ago. Just keep an eye out, its a buyers market so you can get some real bargains if you aren't in a rush :wacko:

Even cheaper still is to buy someone else's already prepared car - as far as GTRs go the place to look is old Targa cars. There are at least 20 targa gtrs in aus and only about 5-8 are still racing. The big cost in building a race car is not the shell, its the cage, suspension, wheels and tyres, motor, fabrication to suit, recoing driveshafts/tailshafts/diffs/gearboxes/xfer cases you get the idea

Yes I do need that light.

Even better bring us the whole bloody car and we can get it back out on the circuit this year sometime.

Id try the china turbos if your happy to do so, why not!!

2530's would be a good option.

I wouldnt rule out GTRS' either but it does make the thing a bit harder to drive on tighter circuits.

Edited by Risking

Mark, you know very well his addiction to breaking perfectly good motors :banana:

Yeah, I've witnessed, been involved in the event, caused at least 1, and helped him take the motor in and out more times than I can count. We've done it so often that a bunch of plebs like he and I can take the motor out in under 2 hours and put it back in in around 3. He's even got to the stage where he can do the contorted starter motor bolt dance and only need about 3 skin grafts for his hands. :banana:

hi

we did a flywheel and clutch change in the gtr at the IPRA nationals last year in 32mins (at the track on the ground)

engine change at last round 6hrs drive in drive out, thats changing everything onto another short motor as well.

dave

BSM Motorsports

Damn it, now you've set me a challenge Dave! Have to wait til Duncan breaks another motor to try again. Should be sometime next week :P

Do you guys drill out some holes in the back of the sump so that you can get to the 2 10mm bolts in the rear main seal girdle? I've often though of making a couple of holes in the 2 winglet areas so that I can get a 1/4 drive socket in and remove the bolts without having to remove the gbox. In theory, you should be able to drop the sump in car and change a spun bearing, blown diff, or in my case swap my sumps between standard and extended.

Yes I do need that light.

Even better bring us the whole bloody car and we can get it back out on the circuit this year sometime.

Id try the china turbos if your happy to do so, why not!!

2530's would be a good option.

I wouldnt rule out GTRS' either but it does make the thing a bit harder to drive on tighter circuits.

Haha dont worry it will be coming around for sure :P still waiting on the motor...

I think you would destroy the spray gun nozzle in a matter of seconds, most sandblasting kits are only $30.

Wouldn't destroy it, wouldn't do anything at all except maybe clog it permanently. Spray gun is far too small to allow anything as big as sand through it. As ben said, sandblasting kits are cheap. You need a decent compressor, but the kit is really just a container and a gun. The booths can be costly, but if you are not doing it much, then you can just wear a mask and forget about collecting the used sand.