SAU Community

Din 3 Gauge Set

messanic

i've got a torque split guage, it doesn't do much and i think it would only be useful if your going up gravel or snow for a bit and were interested to know how much grip the back doesn't have

sometimes it moves when you accelerate hard in the wet but as soon as you get grip it drops down again

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i got a gts-4 R32... i really wanted to do the same thing ( buying a r32gtr gauge cluster) and puting it in as i already have the front torque split insted of boost in my normal cluster.... now the problem is the gauge pigtail has noware to plug into ? whats the proper way of doing this? i recon the best thing to do would be use the face of the cluster and put in some great gauges :rant: i think its the only way unless u wanna spend money on gtr looms n senders... sounds like the person to do this will create an abomination of a car...

george. :rant:

i agree . the gauge is pretty useless . the most it was ever on was when i put the space saver on . till i got f**ked off with it and unpluged the wire under the dash so i could drive home without 10% torque to the front for no reason .

its also stupid in the was that 0-10% takes up half of its sweep the 20-50% has to share the other half . was kinda interesting when driving up a road that had patches of snow on it so it was on off on off heaps . in the 18 months ive owned it i could count the number of times its moved on one hand .

i agree . the gauge is pretty useless . the most it was ever on was when i put the space saver on . till i got f**ked off with it and unpluged the wire under the dash so i could drive home without 10% torque to the front for no reason .

its also stupid in the was that 0-10% takes up half of its sweep the 20-50% has to share the other half . was kinda interesting when driving up a road that had patches of snow on it so it was on off on off heaps . in the 18 months ive owned it i could count the number of times its moved on one hand .

its not % its kg-m = 10 times more than 1 N-m (1kg = 9.81N)

so 10 kgm = ~100Nm = 1/3 of all your torque

its a % . thats why full is 50 % is full . 50% front and 50% rear eg locked . read on up on atessa .

so if the gauge goes to 50 is it sending 500 nm to the front wheels ? atessa doesnt work on torque so why would the gauge?

f**ked if i know why it has kg-m on the gauge

Edited by lachlanw

here is a picture of the back of my rs four s factory gauges . it has boost front torque and volts . the lime green with red stripe is "ets +" . 2nd picture is of the attesa ecu where the same coloured wire goes into it .

3rd picture is the factory oil temp sender i was talking about earlier

Thanks for those awesome pics :) . Your crazy pulling it apart like that, but greatly appreciated.

Yeah the R33 GTR cluster I have looks the same as that (from the rear anyway).

What colour is the other ETS wire? If you could tell me the colours for each of those 8 wires that would be great (save me from metering them out).

Yeah torque split gauge doesn't sound to interesting, but I have it now so might as well try to get it working.

lachlanw I like how your car came with a cluster. I think its a bit stupid turbo cars coming without a boost gauge.

I was starting to think i'll never get this sorted.

Just for curiosity does your Attessa connector look like this:

Stagea_RS4_S2_Attessa.jpg

heres a pic of my attesa plug/socket . also better pictures of the "ets+" wire lime green with red stripe . 2nd in on the bottom row from the 4 big fat red blue yellow black . it looks quite light coloured on the back of the gauge photo but its lime green like photo of ecu harness

"ets+" wire also has silver "Trace"? (dots of silver paint along it )

post-50817-1262988575_thumb.jpg

post-50817-1262988600_thumb.jpg

post-50817-1262988625_thumb.jpg

Edited by lachlanw

rs four s factory centre gauge wiring colours

name ------ primary colour------- stripe colour ------- trace

ill-------------- black ---------------2x red ----------------

ill +------------- red -------------- 2x black -------- silver dot

gnd ----------- black ------------ red ---------------silver dot

ets +-------- lime green ---------- red ------------- silver dot

ets----------- black -------------------------------------------

ign---------- purple------------- 2x white-------------------

boost+------ white-------------- 2x green---------------------

back of gauges also has "OTM" but it doesnt have a screw in it and no wire for it . oil temp maybe ? might have to look into swapping useless volt gauge for an oil temp .........

Edited by lachlanw

Thanks mate your a legend.

Yeah the R33 GTR cluster I have has a oil temp meter instead of the volt meter. I got my cluster on Ebay for $99.

I wonder if the GTR torque split gauge is different to stagea. Sounds like ETS wire on the Stagea goes to ground being black. The GTR has kg-m, I thought you said your one has percentage.

I will give it a go anyway once I get the brakes sorted.

my one says kg-m on it too but attesa doesnt work on torque or any torque meters or knowing how much torque the engine makes does it ? it works on vectoring the available torque between the front and back wheels up to 50% front . think about it ?

my one says kg-m on it too but attesa doesnt work on torque or any torque meters or knowing how much torque the engine makes does it ? it works on vectoring the available torque between the front and back wheels up to 50% front . think about it ?

Sounds good to me, means i don't need to find any more wires :(

• 4 months later...

I've pretty much given up on installing these gauges. :P

I thought I had oil temp and boost wired up right but nothing worked. I also tried some other likely outputs from the ecu but no luck.

Probably would have been a good idea to test the gauges first.

i just bought the 3 din gauge for my S2 stagea from action japan, the gauge is from stagea too, but when i pull out all dash or radio and i couldn't find any wire plug for the gauge set, i thought all the stagea has the build in plug wire for gauge, untill i saw this topic here...well i guess i will put my gauge for sale.

its not a %, but it's not actually measuring torque either. best to think of it as an indication of how much torque it would be trying to send to the front in an umodified factory setup.

theres a lot of variables in that statement . could you re word it please ?

or are you trying to say it is what the out put of the attesa computer thinks it should/is sending to the front?

i just bought the 3 din gauge for my S2 stagea from action japan, the gauge is from stagea too, but when i pull out all dash or radio and i couldn't find any wire plug for the gauge set, i thought all the stagea has the build in plug wire for gauge, untill i saw this topic here...well i guess i will put my gauge for sale.

My recommendation is sell the cluster.

I spent about 3-4days on it.

I used the R34 GTT ECU connector wiring diagram (which looks the same as a S2 ECU) connected all the likely outputs.

And managed to get all of nothing working. very frustrating.

I might have another go at it, later on.

If there is a next time I will probably workout what signals each gauge requires, and test each gauge. Then meter the ECU and ensure the correct outputs are there.

But if someone else works it out that would be cool.

• 3 months later...

I've been fitting GTR triple gauges to my series 2. The oil temp guage was easy,I just run new wiring in, and there are already spare ignition and illumination wires behind the centre dash.

I've found the multi plug where the ETS+ wire comes from the rear of the vehicle under the passenger kick panel and run the wiring in, but with the ETS wire connected to ground the guage needle just goes to full deflection and without anything connected to ETS the guage doesn't work.

I suspect that the black ETS wire isn't just a ground, but returns to the Atessa ECU, but I can't find any details.

The only Atessa wiring diagram I can find is the R32 GTR Atessa wiring diagram shows pins 45 and 44 used for the front torque meter and I haven't been able to work out if this can be related to our Atessa ECU.

Any ideas ?

Update. A friend of mine has checked his R34 wiring diagram and found that ETS+ is pin 33 and ETS is pin 44 on the Attessa ECU. I have found a drawing done by another friend on the GTROC site, but I'm not entirely sure it's accurate. It certainly doesn't tie in with the location I've used for the green/red wire already mentioned. Now I need to find a definitive pin reference drawing and confirm that an R34 Attessa ECU is the same as a Stag one.