SAU Community

R34 Gtr Mfd Info

I posted this as a reply to a post on gtr.co.uk. I thought it might be useful info here too.

If someone could make this a “sticky” here, possibly even make an electronics section that would be appreciated. I didn’t think it suited the “audio and alarms” section so I have posted it here.

I have also nearly finished a write up on what needs to be done to install a R34 GTR gauge cluster and will post that up when finished. (eg. What wires need to be swapped where)

You don’t need the Nismo MFD V2 kit to get the intake and exhaust sensors showing, also you can get the TV function working without the TV button.

To get the extra sensors working first you need to buy them and hook them up then enter “Diagnostic mode” what is being called service mode.

The exhaust temp sensor part number is 22630LA.

To enter Diagnostic mode:

1: Turn ignition to off

2: While pressing and holding the MFD joystick in, turn the ignition to on (and start the car)

3: After opening screen (GTR logo) has appeared on the screen for more than 1 second release the joystick.

4: Within 3 seconds after the GTR logo has appeared on the screen press the joystick 5 times

Then you should see the list of all 15 sensors.

6: Turn the car off after all sensors have been registered to exit this mode (important: if you exit this mode before all sensors have been verified they will not work in the normal mode) The car needs to be on a fairly level surface for this to work or the G-sensors might not be registered.

This info is taken from page EL-32 of the R34 GTR service manual supplement.

If you are trying to get the exhaust sensor reading working you will need to warm up the car first as it states on the next page of the service manual the exhaust temp sensor must be at 400C or more / 4.9V reading.

To get to the TV mode you need to add a momentary switch between the wires 5 and 7 behind the screen. To remove the screen from the main unit unscrew the four 4 screws that hold it on ( 2 either side) Don’t take it off too fast or you could disconnect the white connector strips, it doesn’t matter if you disconnect them but iff you accidentally yank them out you may damage something.

Below the two whit connector strips there are 13 wires for memory, the first one is white and the rest are blue count from the white to the 5th ant the 7th and join cables to them to a switch wherever you want.

Pressing the button once will enter TV mode, Pressing it again will exit it

You need to connect a NTSC video signal (yellow RCA cable, no different to red or white) to the White connector at the back of the main unit. The number positions are as follows:

1 2 3 4 5 - - 6 7 8 9 10 11

12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Connect the outer part of the cable (signal ground) to 16 and the signal wire to 17.

I’m not sure if you will have to if you car came with the MFD stock, but in order for me to get this working as I add the MFD to my car I had to ground wires 6 and 24 with the main ground wires 13 and 14.

If anyone wants to hook up an MFD but doesn’t have to original wiring with connectors I believe the part number is: 24036AA301 should be about $200 trade price. Don’t quote me on this as this part number brings up a description of “audio harness” on nissans systems, but they showed me the pictures of where it sits in the dash and I believe it is the right part, I will let you guys know as soon as I receive it.

Nissan make harnesses to order so they said I could be waiting a while for this.

I will do a proper write up with pics when I get around to it, but for now the word document includes pages from the service manual on howk to enter the diagnostic mode and how to enter the mode to adjust the throttle position calibration on the MFD and pics of sensor positions and harness.

Hope this helps, Aaron

R34_GTR_MFD_info.doc

R34_GTR_MFD_info___pics.doc

• Like 1

Forgot i had a PDF that someone else write up that includes most of this info with pics, so am posting it up now. The guy says to solder a link inside the MFD. If you do that you will not have to ground one of the wires (6 OR 24) dont know which one, i havent checked yet.

His document includes a part number for a clarion adapter harness so you dont have to join your own rca cable or socket onto the MFD.

The only thing it does not include is how to add a TV switch for the models that didnt come with it, so just follow my directions for how to do that.

I cant remember where i got this form but thanks to mike, the author.

R34_GTR_MFD_MIKE.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody here have an english version of installing the MFD upgrade?

I've got a '99 Skyline GTR V-spec, I've changed the print boards, but when I turn it on there's japanese signs on the screen...

Is there some sequence of buttons I need to enter to activate it?

And where is the boost pressure sensor that I have to change located? A picture would be nice...

Appreciate all the help I can get.

And also, I have the version with an TV button, but where is the cable connection for input signal? Is it possible to use this as a screen for DVD player?

KennyJ:

Please excuse everything in the bottom part of this post i couldnt remember what you asked and thought it was how to remove the MFD but you have obviously done it, well maby what ive said will make someone elses life easier, anyway i dont know how to to set the nismo V2 up but i remember seing it on gtr.co.uk so maby do a search on there, also i think after you get it working you might need to enter the service menu [ i explained this in my first post] to get all the sensors working, though this is most likely only needed when you add sensors rather than just changing them.

Kenneth would you mind letting me know how much you paid for the nismo V2 and from who, i know you can get it from nengun, i would like to buy it one day.

Taleb Tyres: yes i presume nissan would be the only one you could buy the sensors from

Also i say on a post by a guy that set the MFD up in his GTT that the intake sensor is about $173 iff i remembre correctly.

It would probably be better just to buy the nismo V2 MFD kit because i think its only about 150 extra hand has the 2 sensors.

THE TV CONNECTION

Yes you can use this to hook up a dvd player, just make sure it puts out a NTSC signal (on my pioneer home theatre one i need to hold the play button while turning it on, it should say in the users manual if it does put out an NTSC and how to change the setting if you can). The connection: if you read the middle part of my first post where i list numbers it explains how to hook up the rca cable or alternatively buy the clarion adapter harness. If you take off the moulded plastic cover from the top of your display you should see the white and brown connectors im talking about on the back of the unit. Refer (Pic4) (cant upload pic 4, camera batterys dead)

You cant quite see them but i went to Jaycar and got DIL (dual in line) computer chip connectors and cut then to the desired width to go in the sockets (there similar to the connectors that get put in your ECU to hold ROMs if you get the stock ECU retuned) if you get these make sure you get the sealed back ones, just ask to see both types and you will see what i mean, because i bought both because thy didnt have enough of the good ones and after i cut them to length and soldered the wires on the end pins kept comming out when i pushed them in the the sockets. By the way they are a b***h to solder decent wires to seing as the ends are only about 0.8mm by 4mm.

REMOVING THE MFD

My stuff was already appart when i got it so i will try to explain how i think it would be easiest to take it appart with some pics aswell.

1) The the aircon vent/hazzard button unit looks like it has to come out first (my dash came without the MFD so i just grabed it by the top n bottom and pulled it forward but you wont be able to do that) so the only thing i can think off is to get 4 flat head screwdrivers and lay bits of material over the tips wedge two in the top and two in the bottom and get someone to help you lever it out at the same time (mine looks like it was only leverd from the middle top as it has a slight impression in the plastic... :(

Refer (Pic1)

2) next it looks like there is 2 screws holding the MFD cover in from the front, you will also see where these screw in, in (Pic1)

3) then it looks like the MFD cover has 2 clips halfway dow on the sides, so i think you need to grab it from the front and tilt just the front up (Pic 2) shows where the clips sit.

4) the reason i say you tilt the front up is because in (Pic2) you can also see two slots in the front (closest to the window) of the the dash i believe also hold the cover in. so it looks like after you tilt it up you slide the cover towards you and then it should come off.

5) then i think there are 4 screws holding the MFD down and after taking those out and unplugging the 2 connectors you should be able to take it out.

THE MAP SENSOR

im not shure but i think it is the sensor at the top right hand side (drivers) of the firewall with one thin (6mm or so) tube and one three wire plug going into it, refer (Pic3)

Pic5&6: look a MFD without the TV button but im watching a DVD

Pic7: what it will look like if you connect up a PAL signal instead of an NTSC (black and white and blured)

Pic10: just a pic of all my stuff n the MFD on the table while i was checking that all this worked properly

I might take the screen off the MFD tommoro to show you guys which wires you join a switch to to get the TV function if your unit didnt come with a switch, like mine :P .

Im having trouble uploading thie pics. i will upload them tommorro,

Also i havent posted on here much before so could someone please tell me how people upload the pics in the middle of a post where you can see the without downloading then. (do they have to be on a web server?) Please excuse my stupidity.

I found this info on gtr.co.uk so thanks to the users on there: BurtGTR & StretchGSK vbmenu_register("postmenu_899305", true);

address: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/97499-ni...etup-probs.html

or here it is: (i think your problem is answered in the last post)

Nismo MFD Setup probs. Hey, ive been searching the forums for the last half hour but with no luck.

The workshop installed my MFD however couldnt set anything up as the instructions are in jap obviously and they couldnt find anything online.

I was trying to follow these instructions..

Quote:Don't touch the accelerator........Switch the ignition on..........the screen will display some japanese writing on the left of the screen the only english bit says off............press the joystick in once.............the writing will move to the right of the screen............switch off ignition.

Switch the ignition on whilst holding the joystick in. Release the joystick 1 second after you see the GTR logo, then straight after that press the joystick 5 times in 3 seconds whilst the GTR logo is still displayed.

This should display an accelerator setup box, at this point just push the accelerator back and forth to make sure it's registering properly.

Once that's done, turn off the ignition again.

This time start the car, again holding down the joystick and again pressing it 5 times in 3 seconds. This time you should get a display of all of the functions supported..........eg exhaust temp, oil temp, yaw rate, steering etc.

Some of them will be black and some will be green. The green ones are ones that the MFD is registering an input from. At this point you'll need to go for a drive to get oil temp, water temp etc etc to register. That's why it's important to start the car for this stage.

If you switch the ignition off before they're all green, they simply won't appear on the MFD once it's up and running. it's just blank.

This procedure works for the factory MFD too, I've tried it.

The first time I put in my MFD 2 I didn't let them all go green and turned off the ignition and the MFD only showed oil pressure and intake temp and boost, all the others were missing !!!

Once you've been out for a drive and they all show green. Stop the car, turn off the ignition. Restart the car and you're all done. Ive done the first step... but the very next one which is

Quote:Switch the ignition on whilst holding the joystick in. Release the joystick 1 second after you see the GTR logo, then straight after that press the joystick 5 times in 3 seconds whilst the GTR logo is still displayed. what I cant get to work. I hold the joystick in and switch the ignition on but the screen stays blank while I hold the joystick in, when I eventually let it out it just comes back to the original screen with the jap writing on the left, doesnt matter hold long i hold it in no logo.

Ive found comments were other guys have said these instructions were missing bits but they never said anything more, so I havnt had any luck yet.

If anyone could enlighten me id appreciate it biggrin.gif***

MFD setup and calibration info: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/94390-mf...l?highlight=mfd (this is a very good writeup includes every thing i wrote in my first post plus lots more including nismo v2 info) (one important thing he does state on this page is nismo reccomend that you only go through this setup prcedure with your stock ecu not an aftermarket one!!!)

Thanks to Canman

I also struggled to access this setup page but just had to keep trying untill I got it right***

Ok finally figured out what was going on.

The screen with the japanese writing and the "off" in there is actually the throttle adjustment screen, with the nismo mfd v2 its the first screen that comes up without even holding in the joystick or anything.

Take your foot off the accelerator and press the joystick to the writing goes to the right, then hold your foot flat on the acc and press the joystick again, then it will go to a 3rd screen where you can test the throttle works fine.

From there you can follow the instructions. Turn the car off, hold the joystick in and start the car, press the joystick 5 times etc once the logo comes up and then it'll take you to the sensor check, go for a drive for 5min till they all go green then turn the car off.

Magic your done. Hopes this saves someone else the stress I went through trying to find it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been brought up or if there is information on this somewhere, I've tried searching everywhere...

How do you remove the dash piece that surrounds the screen on the GTR?

Is it just clips? Do I lift up or something?

• 3 weeks later...

Re: how to remove cover on MFD:

1) first you have to remove the air-con vent

( i did this by getting a flat screwdriver and putting a piece if electrical or duct tape over the end and then pushed it in between the vent and the aircon controler and levering the vent forward, once on the left half and then once on the right half, once you have the bottom of it partially out you should be able to pull it out with your hands.)

when i removed mine the vent face on the bottom partially clicked off the vent box yours will most likely do the same, dont worry the five or so clips allong the bottom will just push back together.

i read in this section i think by viet boi that he put the screwdriver in between the the left vent and the dash. up to you which you think is the best way to do it.

2) then there are two screws on the front of the cover, remove them

3) for menory there are two clips at the middle of each side and two hooks ate the back of the cover,

so you need to lift it from the front only then pull it forward slightly to unhook the back

Hope this helps

Re: where to get an MFD

I bought mine off a user of this forum, you could allways try www.slidewizeimports.com or www.importmonster.com.au i havent bought anything off these sites before so i cant tell you how good they are but importmonsters system does look a lot better.

go on importmonster (you have to sign up, doesnt take long) click on the brouse button on the top of the page, interior equipment on the left, nissan and then search for mfd

Now Iwill get to what i really came to my post for.

I just picked up the harness i ordered for the MFD a few weeks ago, im so exited, its the right thing, 24036 AA301 as i said befor is the part number

will post up a pic later.

• 1 year later...

I've got an R34 GTR non-vspec so I don't have the intake and exhaust temp gauges on the MFD. You've mentioned the part number for the exhaust temp sensor. Do I need to purchase a sensor for the intake temp or is there already one there??? If I do would you happen to know what the part number is???

• 8 months later...

For anyone interested here's a copy of a PM i sent someone reguarding adding a TV button to a non v-spec MFD.

Sorry i havent found the time to do a detailed write up yet.

AND Can someone please give me a good reason why we cannot upload excel files??? WTF... as all my write ups i have done in excel, including a detailed one of where to get all the sensor inputs for installing the MFD, eg. what wires you need to get from the comp, attessa comp, guage cluster, new sensors, etc.

I dont have the time right now to a*se about copying excel sheets into paint just to upload them here, i'm sure people would appreciate the countless hours i've spent looking at wiring diagrams to work out how to wire these thing up, and appreciate being able to download them from here rather than having to email me.

Furthermore, i have just got a new computer and havent loaded office on it yet, so i cant even access the excell doccuments to to copy them into paint or something to change them into another format.

Ive tried changing the name to .doc, and zipping them for memory. That doesnt work either.

WHY make it sutch a pain in the a@@ to upload stuff.

Just thought you would like to know there is only difference between a v-spec mfd and a normal one is the face plate and the tv switch.

For memory you can get the face plate with the joystick circuit board with the tv switch comes with it for about $200.

The extra sensors will register on the older MFD's, all you need to do is get the sensors, wire them up and put the MFD in service mode (with the car on flat level groung so the g-sensors register correctly), then drive around untill all the sensors register (they need to get up to their minimum temp.) (The boxes will go green) Then after you shut it down with all the sensors registered they will now come up every time you start the car.

And reguarding the switch you could do what i did and put in your own for the 98 cents i paid for the switch fron jaycar.

I'll attach some pictures.

Some of the modifications i've done and am going to do i have made some write ups and put in the modifications section i think, including a detailed write up of my own plus other peoples info on the MFD (how to turn on the v-spec sensors, etc), but i havent added to it yet of how i put the switch in.

MFD

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...fo-t223920.html

Guage cluster conversion

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...lu-t241719.html

When you look at the attached pictures you will understand the following:

The switch is a momentary switch that when pushed 2 legs are connected to the other 2.

The 2 bent legs are straightened as these are the ones i used due the location of them.

The other 2 legs are cut off.

The piece of clear plastic that transmits the light to the TV button was cut off (type of switch i used diddn't allow this to fit so was removed) I had another switch that had a light in it but decided on the one i used as it fitted the hole much better (the one with the light was slightly smaller.

The face plate was lightly centre punched, pilot drilled and drilled out with about a 10mm drill bit.

The switch i had was found to sit too low, so i added another piece of linned PCB inbetween the switch and the MFD board.

This involved cutting the switch legs off so the didnt pertrude past the front of the board(non copper side).

Hooked shaped legs were bent up and soldered to the PCB board, with the leggs poking out of the front of the board. (were hooked so that when the other end of the leg is soldered to the MFD board they dont drop out from both).

Switch was soldered to the back side of board (need to put the soldering iron in from the side of the switch, between the swich and the board)(this is so the front side of the board, the non copper lined side sits firmly on the MFD board).

Now that you have the switch ready on the small square board it can be soldered to the MFD board.

Then put everything back together.

BTW the lined PCB board i used was a 1cm x 1cm offcut from a 20cm x 10cm Proto type board from jaycar, cost about $12.

If you want i can draw some lines in the pics of locations of the holes i put the switch in, legs etc. Or I could just make you up a switch on a piece of board and post it to you.

Thats if you buy a MFD that doesnt originnally come with the swich.

If you look im my MFD post you will see the TV function working before i put in the switch.

Edited by Project-GT4-TT

TriniGT

I will download open office right now so i can have a look through my old writeups and send you everything i have via email. If i dont do it by 2moro night send me a pm or email as i will probably forget by the time i load office.

Sorry i would send it all to you right now but barely any of them are named, just all called book1, book2 etc, dont know whats car stuff and what is other stuff.