SAU Community

Rx7 Fd As Daily Driver?

The RX7 FDS3 is NOT a daily driver.

It doesn't appericate too be treated as a common car, which it obviously isn't.

If you do not have a daily driver or a second car, forget the RX7.

Issues...

No more then a GTSt (Yes - I have owned both for +2 years each)

Maintance, no more then any other turbo car. This assumes your capable of popping a bonnet, doing some reading and checking/fixing things

Engine blowing up... Lets see, we have about 10 FD's in a group who meet up Friday nights (skyline hunting :blush:) I can't recall any of those blowing up in the last year.

They are a maintance intensive car... You really should be checking the fluid levels twice as much as you would in a piston car.

Still, any negatives are far out weighed by the postives of ownership. But they are not a daily driver....

The RX7 FDS3 is NOT a daily driver.

It doesn't appericate too be treated as a common car, which it obviously isn't.

If you do not have a daily driver or a second car, forget the RX7.

Issues...

No more then a GTSt (Yes - I have owned both for +2 years each)

Maintance, no more then any other turbo car. This assumes your capable of popping a bonnet, doing some reading and checking/fixing things

Engine blowing up... Lets see, we have about 10 FD's in a group who meet up Friday nights (skyline hunting :) ) I can't recall any of those blowing up in the last year.

They are a maintance intensive car... You really should be checking the fluid levels twice as much as you would in a piston car.

Still, any negatives are far out weighed by the postives of ownership. But they are not a daily driver....

AndyMac, can you please elaborate as to why you think the FD is not a good daily driver? Apart from fuel costs and it going through more oil than your average piston engined car.

Thanks!!

Reasons NOT to drive an FD as a daily...

1. Height of the car. Whilst she'll clear most speed hump, they take their toll.

2. Width of doors... Car make parking cumbersome...

3. Fuel, fact of life that a rotor likes drinks, not as bad as some make out thou.

4. Coming back too your car to notice randoms have put their hands all over the windows too have a look

5. The A/C is a common "failure" in the FD... Spend one day in traffic with no A/C in a FD and you won't need the rest of these points. The dump pipe is probably about 30cm away from the brake pedal.

6. I've never had a dramas with temp's, but you can see the water heat up very rapidly sitting in traffic... (if your monitoring it... ie. PFC)

7. THE MORE YOU USE IT AS A SHOPPING CAR, THE MORE ITS GOING TO BECOME LIKE A SHOPPING CAR. People will bang their doors into it, run trolleys up it, parked in the same place all the time-provides theives with a target.

Mate, their just not a daily driver. How many people do you think use their GTR's as dailys ? A few of course, but not many.

They are purely a car to be enjoyed driving, not something you like to see sitting in a carpark.