SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

Guest RedLineGTR
Originally posted by red17

I am told that only the 0W40 and 10W30 tri synthetics are the only 2 TRUE synthetic oils that Mobil make.  

Someone told me recently their brocky ad campaign was pulled because someone got shirty with them in regards to their so called synthetic 5W50 you buy off the shelf at autobarn, NOT being fully synthetic.

But ive also been told bullshit from this person in the past, so I wouldnt put it past him to shovel a little more.

Red17

Can anyone confirm this???

You can buy Amsoil through Autospeed shop. I have read alot of court cases against oil suppliers and oil additive companies like Slick 50. Amsiol were taken to court because they claim to be first in synthetic oil. All oil manufacturers were asked to comment (agree/disagree) on there claim. Not a single one did and the case was dropped.

I have seen another site which claims Mobil 1 is 200% worse than Amsoil.

Elf is a fuel manufacturer; they should know what they're doing. If you go for any sort of synth oil, and you change the oil every 4-5000k's i don't think it is an issue. We should be worried about frequency of change, not so much the oil itself. We can argue till the cows come home about whether mobil/shell/motul/royal purple etc is best, but at the end of the day any of their synths will protect your engine regardless of how hard you drive it.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, i was looking on the Amsoil website and it says that their 10-40 oil is:

In gasoline-fueled passenger vehicles in normal or severe service, change AMSOIL XL-7500 Synthetic Motor Oils at 7,500-mile or six-month intervals, whichever comes first.

Shit - thats a long time. I guess that is pretty good compared to the other oils that have been thrown around in this thread.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/xl7500.html

• 4 months later...

Just for anyone that thinks Motul is the be-all and end-all of engine oils - When my lifter blocked up and started rattling, I was running Motul oil. Now, I'm not specifically blaming this oil for causing the blockage, but people have a tendency to blame whatever oil they're running at the time for whatever engine problems occur, especially with blockage of the galleries etc.

I don't know if the Motul oil caused my problem, but with the last oil change I have also noticed for the first time the lines going to my catch can starting to stain with blow-by, as well as oil stains on my rear bar near the exhaust. This could just be a coincidence, maybe my engine is just naturally starting to wear at this point in time and I just happened to be using Motul oil while it happened. But I am going to change brands to see if it makes any improvement.

I have also had no problems using Motul oil on my motorcycle. I think I will switch back to it because it's cheaper than the Castrol I'm currently using in it. Or I might try Mobil.

I had valvoline 15W-50 synth in my GTR and just changed to mobil 1 5w-50 synth and it feels as though the car revs alot easier....probably because of the thinker oil...I noticed some of u guys don't like Mobil 1...any particular reasons?

today i picked up some valvoline 10w-40, exact name on bottle is:

Valvoline VR1 Racing

Synthetic Enhanced

10w-40

5L is usually 46 bucks but on special at autobarn for 29 :P Also picked up a filter there (Ryco one) for 9.99 - going to change it now :(

• 5 months later...

When I first got oil for my GTR32 I used Penrite, but found that Motul synthetic oil was a bit cheaper and way better. Oil px is good esp on start up and engine seems to be a little quieter esp when cold.

Best to get the viscosity that nissan recommend because the RB engine are built to close tolerances and I wouldn't want to put in something too thin or too thick.

• 6 months later...

i use vegetable oil (crisco) not! hehehe

im still deciding on which oil is best the above responses are excellent in muy oil hunting process.

have tried Mobile 1 synthetic on my old turbor lancer/honda vtec and loves it so much but burnt it so quick.

might try Motul but so expensive?