SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

• 3 weeks later...

So as far as oil goes I have a few questions with Oil Pressure?

I live in AZ where the summer weather is 110-120 degrees F.

I drove my car in California where the Oil pressure was FINE. but as soon as I came back to AZ (where I actually live) the oil pressure started to drop. Drop meaning almost to 0. then only getting up to maybe 20-30psi driving. Does Crazy hot weather have an effect on that?

Because in California like i said the oil pressure was fine because the weather is significantly cooler there 60-80 degrees F.

I'm running 20w50 (switched it on 7/6/2015 when I came back to his pit of fire called AZ)

from 10w30

I thought since it's too hot here the viscosity is thinning out too much with 10w30 but even with 20w50 it's still dropping...

Is that a ambient heat issue? I'm going to try and replace the sending unit and if that fails too then I'm almost sure that I'm going to need a new oil pump which is going to cost me quite the bit of money because of Labor. (I don't have the time to be doing my own engine work ATM)

Thanks for your input guys!

1989 HCR32

RB20DET

Only engine mods done are FMIC/Intake/ Turbo Back.

It happens after normal and hard driving.

I do not have an Oil Cooler installed :( I was hoping if it was a temp issue then I can just get a Oil Cooler and call it a day.

I'm replacing the sending unit this week.

I'm just hoping that it's not my oil pump and worst case scenario gap in my bearings :(

Edited by HanBear

I am currently running the stock guage. But I took a mechanical guage to it and it was reading the same. So I've crossed out that issue. I'm thinking I should get a After Market Guage anyway so that I can have a more reliable one anyway.

I don't have an oil temp gauge and I really do not know oil temps too much

My back ground on skyline experience is little to none. I've only had the car for about 3 weeks. I have a water temp guage and it usually sits around 70-80 according the guage. If that means anything. :(

I replaced the sending unit. The z32 sending unit was indeed a perfect fit and now my pressures are fine. You guys were right. And I was lucky that's all it was. For now.... I haven't driven too much on it yet so I'll see how it goes. Thanks for all your inputs.

This thread is sort of useless.

Some people drove to the shops, some track their cars.

Without full information you can't make a call on the reccomendations.

Spot on Ben, if anything it shows that it kinda doesn't matter as long as it's within a reasonable weight range and changed at reasonable intervals

When you've got a track GTR running magnatec and road cars running the most expensive off the shelf oils you can buy, it really comes down to personal preference

I feel the same way about the tyre thread. Particularly since I've had several sets of tyres that felt great when new (and hence get good reviews) but when half worn felt like you were wrestling an angry and well-lubricated pig. Truly good tyres maintain their grip level right to the canvas (but obviously not the water-clearing ability).

• Like 1

The tyre thread is as useful as a toothbrush made entirely from ants.....

You get people who have used one tyre ever giving it 8/10. How on earth can they rate if if they haven't used other tyres on the same car ins the same conditions as others? Useless thread.

The tyre thread is as useful as a toothbrush made entirely from ants.....

You get people who have used one tyre ever giving it 8/10. How on earth can they rate if if they haven't used other tyres on the same car ins the same conditions as others? Useless thread.

At least with the tyre thread you can get some who compare two different tyres (but may be comparing old to new), and there can be some use in that. In this thread people use engine sound or oil colour or no evidence at all to say an oil is good/bad. So its pretty much just a mix of stuff they heard from somewhere, confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.

Also, its way more important to make sure that you don't empty the sump than to choose oil X or Y, because even the cheapest oil lubricates way better than air.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...