SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

That 10-40 everyday Shiite has been out for a while. Used it a couple of times in an sr20, seemed OK. I ended up changing to castrol edge 10-60 to try and stop my flogged sr from making its ugly sr noises. I don't have an sr anymore. I'm now an rb fan. I've got about 15 litres of 10-60 stockpiled in my shed. I'm wondering if it will be OK to run in the rb25?

that penrite extra10 shite confuses the crap outta me. is it a 10w30 or a 10w40?? package says may be used where 10w-30 is recommended.

everyday 10w-40 made the v35 sump seal weep oil, was all wet. switched to nulon 10w40, dry as... so does that mean penrite everyday is really a 10w30 with some extra "protection'?

Yep diesel engine oils usually contain higher levels of dispersants to prevent the soot particles from agglomerating.

Historically they have always contained higher zinc which has significant anti-wear properties. They got rid of zinc in the 80s because of catalytic converter contamination fears but recently started to reintroduce it into petrol engine oils.

I have used it since 2007 in my LS2 and for 5 years in my RB.

When I blew my turbo couple of years ago I pulled the sump off and it was amazing. No deposits at all.

This is a link to the post with picture of my bottom end after 30000 km of abuse.

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/index.php?/topic/22458-The-Goods-On-Oils#entry7381708

Edited by XGTRX

that penrite extra10 shite confuses the crap outta me. is it a 10w30 or a 10w40?? package says may be used where 10w-30 is recommended.

everyday 10w-40 made the v35 sump seal weep oil, was all wet. switched to nulon 10w40, dry as... so does that mean penrite everyday is really a 10w30 with some extra "protection'?

Technically, yes. It acts like a 30 weight oil.

10w40 and 20w50 full syn oils should have everyone's bases covered,

I have no idea why anyone would want to use heavier oils in a high revving motor like an RB?

unless I had no oil cooler and I was bashing through a Dakar rally then maybe I would use a 60 weight

I use the the Penrite Racing 5 (5W-30) when I can find it on special, but most of the time I'll use the HPR Diesel 5 (5W-40) I have the Racing 5 in there now and it seems spin up a little quicker than the Diesel 5 that it replaced.

Will be interesting to see how the thinner stuff hold up during this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Repco has nulon 1040 in 6ltrs for 50 bucks absolute bargain,been using this for hundreds of thousand ks fantastic stuff,no lifter noise on start up and lasts for 10000 ks my ol 33 loves it.:-) :-)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Great sticky, did a bit of research and just bought royal purple 10w40 high performance Street for 92 bucks for 5 litres and nissan oem filter for 20. Will hit 5k service on the weekend. Car currently runs smoothly but would like to see the difference at the high end of things after the change.

Great sticky, did a bit of research and just bought royal purple 10w40 high performance Street for 92 bucks for 5 litres and nissan oem filter for 20. Will hit 5k service on the weekend. Car currently runs smoothly but would like to see the difference at the high end of things after the change.

I'm Betting none.

• 3 weeks later...