SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

i'd suggest searching for a seller of Repsol oils, especially the full synthetic. I've found over the last 4 years this to be the very best oil I have used.(currently have 500hp 351 cleveland and 1UZFE equipped Landcruiser using it)

I used to be a Penrite fan, but have changed my tune. If you ever get the chance, look at 50 bottles of oil from Penrite, note the differing colour of the oil inside, then look at 50 bottle of Repsol, same colour, always. REason for change from Penrite was the number of manufacturers that specify Repsol as standard oil. Mercedes trucks, Volvo, Audi. Also the high detergent factor and how clean the oil comes out looking even after 5000klms. The synthetic Repsol isnt cheap, about $55 for five litres but doesnt break down and go the horrible black colour. I noticed that when you you sniffed the Penrite it had a very strong burnt smell to it.

Next step on all 3 cars will be an oil analysis from the Castrol labs to look at metal contents etc etc.

• 1 month later...

Yes i agree with you on that!!

Turbolite not being a full synthetic.....Bad news!! , it just means your paying an extra $20.00 per four litres just for the name, its crazy!

The only oils we should be paying the $ for are full synthetics!

Anyone using Royal purple oils??

Turbolite not being a full synthetic.....Bad news!! , it just means your paying an extra $20.00 per four litres just for the name, its crazy!  

The only oils we should be paying the $ for are full synthetics!

I've found Motul to be generally underpriced for what it is when compaerd to more famous brands. It seems to be the biggest brand oil where you're not paying for the name. Turbolite may not be the best oil for a car with a turbo because it's a semi-synth, but I've used it in my bike (11k redline) and found it to be better than other brand full synthetics. I would agree that a full synthetic would be better with a turbo due to higher running temps, but I have never used a bad or even average Motul oil. You can do far worse than turbolite, even if you stick to 100% synthetics. I use 8100 on my car and have not found anything better for the price.

I'm thinking of using Motul Turbolight Semi Syn. in my fully rebuilt RB25Det with forged pistons/GTR rods etc.. Will this be suitable? I'm not concerned about price, just want to find & use one of the best possible oils to run it in. What oils have you guys used to run motors in with good results?

I found that Pennzoil Synthetic had a wider viscousity range that I thought would be suitable for my car as it has quite a few km on it. Quick flow at cold startup & a bit thicker when hot for an older motor.

5B676B5C-8C73-30E6-D467A00562CBA274ProductLarge.jpg

SAE 5W-50 for about $55. No complaint as yet, but I haven't compared it to the more expensive, harder to get oils. I've been using it for about a year.

I'm thinking of using Motul Turbolight Semi Syn. in my fully rebuilt RB25Det with forged pistons/GTR rods etc.. Will this be suitable?  I'm not concerned about price, just want to find & use one of the best possible oils to run it in.  What oils have you guys used to run motors in with good results?

Motul 8100 X-Cess is a better choice because it's 100% synthetic. Not the best, but good for the price. If money is no object then maybe consider the 300V oils, which are the next "rank" up.

I'm thinking of using Motul Turbolight Semi Syn. in my fully rebuilt RB25Det with forged pistons/GTR rods etc.. Will this be suitable?  I'm not concerned about price, just want to find & use one of the best possible oils to run it in.  What oils have you guys used to run motors in with good results?

do not use synthetic or even semi synth to run in your motor, or the rings wont bed in and it will use a huge amount of oil

use mineral oil to start with and change frequently, then move up to semi synth and after a few thousand kms use fully synthetic.

load up the engine but not for long periods and dont use high revs, dont drive it softly or the rings wont bed in.

do not use synthetic or even semi synth to run in your motor, or the rings wont bed in and it will use a huge amount of oil

use mineral oil to start with and change frequently, then move up to semi synth and after a few thousand kms use fully synthetic.

load up the engine but not for long periods and dont use high revs, dont drive it softly or the rings wont bed in.

Royal Purple, Lucas, Fuschs, and Red Line Synthetic oils, all of which are an esther based full synthetics all of which you can get a 10-40w in ideal for rb's. These are all oils myself and my old man have experience with and in my opinion nothing comes close, for a high end oil.

I believe they are the best oils on the market except Repsol could be in there but i cant get that anywhere to give it a trial.

i have used it a few times, feels same as any other synthetic, seems to run a touch smoother after a change, but usually does with any fresh oil.

nissan at hornsby use it..

I went with Motul 5w40.

It definitely holds better oil pressure when hot in peak hour traffic.

I found the std mineral crap to be dropping oil pressure in that circumstance.

Valvoline is fairly good, head over to bobistheoilguy.com and read the oil & filter reports.

I'm using a Purulator Premium oil filter as it flows really well and filters really well. In the tests it is on par if not ever so slightly better than the K&N Oil filter which is 4x the price.

Purulator PureOne oil filters are one of the very best in filtration however they do restrict flow somewhat.

I used the Pureone filters for run in (when there's a bit of crap running around the oil from bed in) and now on to the premiums that flow better.

I'm happy with the Motul 8100 5w40. Doesn't drop oil pressure when idling in peak hour traffic on a hot day with the a/c on.

I've had Mobil 1 (not in this motor though) which did appear to thin out and drop oil pressure when idling, hot day, a/c on. :rofl:

• 10 months later...