SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

hI Stuart

what is the ruling on wheels, can the r35 GTR enter with SMALLER than standard wheels eg: instead of the standard 20 inch wheels, can it run 18 inch wheels?

purely hypothetical of course :D lol

and if you could please tell me what is the ruling on the exhaust mods on a GTR.

Edited by giant
  • Like 1

Russ - You can apply to run whatever size you like inplace of 19 (TRD Aurion did it this year) and 20" (the C7 Vetts did this year) rims (ends up with me so all cool), but suitable R's for the 35 are coming onto the market now.

Steve was considering downsizing with the DK 35 this year, but he ended up getting those 400mm rotors so had to stick with 20s.

Woo - $80k for the 34... would he swaps a '97 3 series, a half arsed half finished RX7 SP knock off, a 33 GTSt and a couple of entries to TT?!

Edited by t01-100

Russ - Sorry missed the exhaust bit. Rule used to be standard pipe size and no bigger, now its standard pipe size + 15%.

Eg that Mines stuff would be OK like DK 35.

Russ - Sorry missed the exhaust bit. Rule used to be standard pipe size and no bigger, now its standard pipe size + 15%.

Eg that Mines stuff would be OK like DK 35.

Open pipe? Or must run cat and atleast one muffler?

Woo - $80k for the 34... would he swaps a '97 3 series, a half arsed half finished RX7 SP knock off, a 33 GTSt and a couple of entries to TT?!

Never know! lol

Although, I've already hit him with trading my bike, two cars, a boat, and 7000 Boomerangs! lol

7000 boomerangs... not sure if it's just me, but how much fun would it be throwing them off somewhere like Sydney Tower!!

What all 7000 of them? Hell Yeh!

on the weight front Benny you will be glad to know I have lost 1 Kg!

Yeah all 7000... Not all at once obviously, launch them like ten at a time from an orange cannon!

Shame the pilgrims have gone......... could have interesting to see the theories as to why God was throwing Boomerangs as gifts :thumbsup:

Re the weight, from memory it was minus 5% plus 47kg for cage, emergency stuff, but Stu was talking about aboloshing the plus 47 rule. No doubt he can shed some light. Geddit? Light. arrrrh, I crack meself up.

Yeah the +43kg rule for spares and tools will be flicked under the '09 rules.

For a GTR (or any other S1 and S2 classified car) its standard weight with no tolerance for further reduction. Ben gets to drop some weight (5%) with the GTSt in the interest of parity and cause he's put on plenty since last year!

Slightly off topic here but I was having a good look at Steve Jones R35 GTR which will be ready for Targa West in a few weeks (looks good too - he has some new Dunlop tyres that might be ok until the R comps are available to that should be good to see and the boy sure can steer).

But I was interested to hear from him that any apparent R35 V Spec will be banned from Targa for being too fast. Apparently there is a 0-100 in 3.5s rule which will unquestionably be broken since the current car is already 3.6s. So it doesn't look like we'll ever get to see a lighter R35 targa car. So I wonder if we'll consequently ever see one do that well given it's kgs.

21072008(002).jpg

G'day Snowy! I had a quick look at some results from the weekend.... rather strong competition was there by the look of it?

Will be interesting to hear Stu chime in here and give us some info on the M1 targa ruling, ie, is there a chance the 0-100 time might be altered to allow for the new breed of crazy-fast cars.

The DK 35 ran Dunlop SP Super Sport Race at Targa this year, the 20" size is an OEM fitment to the some of the bigger AMGs. They are best described as a semi R type tyre... I've done some laps in Targa Tasmania front runner Greg Garwood's GT3 with these fitted and they were pretty good. They look like a performance road tyre, but deal with the heat much better than a roadie and are awesome in the wet.

The sub-3.5sec issue is correct, under the CAMS M1 rules as they sit the R35 V-Spec will not be eligible. Targa Tasmania though chooses to see common sense and does not maintain that rule, accordingly the R35 V-Spec WILL be eligible and encouraged to compete in... The Worlds Largest Tarmac Rally!

Edited by t01-100