SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

G'day Snowy! I had a quick look at some results from the weekend.... rather strong competition was there by the look of it?

Yeah mate there's a lot of good local steerers in Perth and a lot of fast cars - and they all know their backyards pretty well. Plus a few of the regular front running guys had car issues (us included - blown front diff on day 1), the weather was also a factor (cars 31+ definitely had the better of it) so it made for an interesting yet ultimately predictable finish.

But 43 events - or 86 if you include driver + co-driver was PUNISHING on the cars and drivers as we felt we never got a chance to rest and the cars sure got hot.

But it sure was some fun! It was the best fun Dutton I've had so far - mostly because it was the 1st one I didn't care about the result in. I was just there to have some fun and do some skids. :(

There is no navigator - Duttons is 2 drivers not driver / navigator :)

Hence why you can have double the fun!

PS - Dutton NSW is on Nov 21-23 this year

Oh way too early i think.. will have to be 2009 if anything was to happen.

he will be the one who breaks the car. haha cant let him drive!

$1987 per person for the NSW one - i cant find a listing of the actual events/destinations though, maybe im just not looking in the right section?!?!

Steve - I understand it that Dutton NSW will be based for 2 days at Goulburn and the final day at Oran Park this year. As for the actual events to be run you never find out until the day before the event starts (aka - so you can't practise).

Stuart - I usually budget $6K to do each event - or $3K each if you do it as a team (as you should). That includes, entry, tyres, brakes, car prep and accommodation.

Everyone says its heaps of fun so keen to have a crack.

Is there heaps of km's done driving around the country side? ie would a proper race car be a painful thing to do it in, or would say a warmed up GTR road car a better choice?

There's plenty of propper racecars that do it and there is quite a serious pointy end at times with cars almost built specifically for the event - but there is also a range of stock cars as well. Someone once even did it in their mums Vectra! lol. In Perth this year some bloke got a 3 day pass to run a Porsche Cup Car - even still had 1500lb springs in it!! Was funny and really quite useless (they ended up taking it home and coming back at the end with the spare 997 GT3 RS - tough for some)

I guess the biggest "transport" stage you'll find is probably 2.5hrs in any state (and you can't tow a car between stages once the event has started) but generally you are at each location for at least half a day where you can do as many as 12 events each (and usually each day you'll not have to travel more than 1hr during each day - the long trips are either 1st thing in the morning or last thing at night).

In my opionion what you want is the best thing you have for going straight over a distance of say 50-100m and to be able to turn around and come back over that distance again if that makes sense. Sometimes a racecar isnt as good as a nicely sorted street car for doing that.

LOL, if anyone needs a co-driver then i am your man if you like a bloke that likes the good things in life. I love Duttons, but have to say paying for all the prep work and wear and tear means that for now i would much rather be a co-driver then driver/owner. :P

LOL, do it Snowie! But i cant see you being happy being one of the also rans in a rwd car. :happy: And getting all excited about a top 10 finish at the circuit...provided you have banked enough sleep the night before ;)

Mate you didnt see me in Perth. Times were no where near as important as style was. I think I might be turning into the next Pete. :happy:

But if we wanted to win we'd just get an EMO and put cf doors etc on it and stroke it - but the fun factor is just not there. The good news is we've won one so it's no longer important.

The guys who came 2nd in Perth (and won the drivers) have an 800HP Supra on its way from Japan for next year so the RX7 is to go up against that for shits and giggles. (Will be Blaises car)