SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Just perusing the results after stage 4 complete, and wih all due respect (very easy to say this from my office chair!), it really doesn't look very competetive up the front?

I see a few names mixed in up the front that, well, you wouldn't "expect" to see there in other rallies.

It would be interesting to know how so much money can be spent on an old Porker with it still being legal, with a comparable year Z car it would be well under $100K no expense spared. The best placed Z car is a budget build, under $50K there.

I guess the consolation is if you hit a tree at speed your life prospects would be a lot better in a later model car.

That age classic is allowed a LOT of mods. It'd be easier if they just let then run re-bodied Gt3's with 4 litte stroker engines.

How many 70's Porsches have ABS from factory?

Traction control?

Carbon bits?

The Porsches are on a completely different league performance wise to the early Datsuns, as the times reflect.

You can only run abs if it was a factory option now. Most of the classic cars run with it 'turned off'.

No Datto has come close to the vw ever since classic stopped using handicap for outright. And unless someone unloads 250000+ on one they won't. The Torana of coopers is the closest thing to them at the moment, and it's pretty much a v8 super car, but with more carbon fibre

Sounds like someone needs to build a S30 Z car using the Sports Option (NISMO predecessor) goodies, including 10" wide rear wheels. I can't really see the point in allowing old cars to have modern non factory mods then allow them to pretend to be Classic cars.

They key is getting the old suspension geomitys up to standard. the front running classics would have suspention setups far surperior to 90% of the modern cars. Thats where all the money goes, paying boffins to calculate pickup points, roll centers....etc.

only the 911's run huge wheels, and a lot of them struggle with aquiplaing in the wet.

I'd love to see some more z's though, siddens is the only one having a real crack in one

Any sites/forums around that go into the detail of Classic car targa preparation and upgrades? Interesting point about suspension savman, problem with all the Z punters I know including Jon Siddens is they do not do much with their suspension other than bolt ons. There is also some subtle aero stuff they could do which I'm sure would help.

I've had a good look over (and under) Coopers Torana. I can see why they keep the changes under wraps, as they pay a fortune to get it designed, they arn't keen to hand it over for free.

Basicly the suspension has to keep it's type (live axel, semi trailing, strut, double wishbone...etc), and then you go crazy. Most live axel rears are copies of V8 supercar rear ends, with quick roll centre adjusters, pickup points moved well forward and up, watts linkage..etc. You can imagine what they do to wishpone front ends to fix bump steer and dynamic camber.

I'd hate to think what the Porsche guys do to their semi trailing arms.

Without visiting a suspention guru, I doubt you'll find much help from other compeditors.

Was chatting to Stuart about suspension mods, and he did mention a guy down there in Tassie that is a bit of a guru at reengineering a car, but it also comes at a pretty significant cost. But I guess you get what you pay for.

The classics are some pretty serious cars. I reckon my EMO was reasonably sorted and reasonably quick and I was having a reasonable crack and its AWD....(and an emo so any muppet can be fast in one..) . Then you look at the times compared to the leading classics in 2WD 1970's porshes and fook me, they are flying. Definate wolves in sheeps clothing. Although there is almost no limit to what you can do to them. There was some motorsport official guy in SA in something I read who didnt think it was such a good idea these older cars being able to be made to go so fast within the rules and that drivers will catch themselves out, and that classics should remain as classics and not be ablke to be updated.Back in his day you could only go as fast as you could afford, blah, blah , blah.. I think he was missing the point completely. Thankfully god invented turbos and made power relatively affordable. :)

Edited by Darkside

Agree with both of you.... For the record I was referring to how I enjoy seeing them squirm when quizzed what they've changed ........ and in turn how it relates to the original car.

I know it's all within the rules, but its still faintly ridiculous in my opinion. As is the cost of building a competitive classic car.

I revel in replying to their same question, and tell the truth when saying it's got 2nd hand shocks and a total of four bushes. Lol

That's why I think you'd be mad to begin an rx7 build without preparing to spend mega mega crazy dollars.

Was chatting to Stuart about suspension mods, and he did mention a guy down there in Tassie that is a bit of a guru at reengineering a car, but it also comes at a pretty significant cost. But I guess you get what you pay for.

The classics are some pretty serious cars. I reckon my EMO was reasonably sorted and reasonably quick and I was having a reasonable crack and its AWD....(and an emo so any muppet can be fast in one..) . Then you look at the times compared to the leading classics in 2WD 1970's porshes and fook me, they are flying. Definate wolves in sheeps clothing. Although there is almost no limit to what you can do to them. There was some motorsport official guy in SA in something I read who didnt think it was such a good idea these older cars being able to be made to go so fast within the rules and that drivers will catch themselves out, and that classics should remain as classics and not be ablke to be updated.Back in his day you could only go as fast as you could afford, blah, blah , blah.. I think he was missing the point completely. Thankfully god invented turbos and made power relatively affordable. :)

Brad Sherriff did the work on Coopers Torana, I don't know if that was who Benson was talking about.

I'm still toying with how to make a good DR30, but the rear end will cost too much to be as good as my R32. The rest of the car could be cobled together from newer nissans.

The R32 is still a cheap classic car...if they didn't get kicked out. I wasn't quick in mine, but I still would have finished in 4th Classic

Edited by sav man

My DR30 money went into the Sierra. If I flog the Sierra then the DR30 build could be back on. Only problem is I think I want to build a car more then actually enter tarmac rallies. LOL, no navigator, no crew, no talent means I doubt I would end up doing too many rallies...but would love to build one all the same