SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Cars like women have histories. Some times its better you dont know too much about where they ahve been. :)

lol, and just like some women this particular one has been upside down on the roof of a falcon! d'oh! guess the previous owner forgot about it. :ermm:

but yeah it's a race car. big smashes do happen. would have been nice for the seller to disclose that, but if you didn't ask if it had been smashed you can't blame him for not bringing it up. buyer beware and all that. as the guys say if it's been fixed properly and drives ok chances are it is ok. :)

If you're looking for good footage for your sponsors, I can recommend a fence and field to plough through.....

Most accidents these cars are in are merely flesh wounds, and people who race these events rarely skimp on repair quality, like for instance, road car repairs are done.

AArrgghhh Ive seen that footage through the fence and field...on u tube ..assume that was you yeah??

lol, and just like some women this particular one has been upside down on the roof of a falcon! d'oh! guess the previous owner forgot about it. :ermm:

but yeah it's a race car. big smashes do happen. would have been nice for the seller to disclose that, but if you didn't ask if it had been smashed you can't blame him for not bringing it up. buyer beware and all that. as the guys say if it's been fixed properly and drives ok chances are it is ok. :)

I wouldnt worry about it Chris. Car looks a million bucks to me (Its Richard - the white R32 R from the SES). Not often you see Compomotive rims.

Anyway sounds like you wont be at Collie?

Old Zeds are strut suspension all round which you would think would be better than a semi trailing rear but this just goes to show what development aka money can do

All very good, but unfortunately, no matter how cool driving like that would be, at Aussie Tarmac events, tyre use rules don't permit it.

I wouldnt worry about it Chris. Car looks a million bucks to me (Its Richard - the white R32 R from the SES). Not often you see Compomotive rims.

Anyway sounds like you wont be at Collie?

Hey Richard

Yeah, busy in ENZUD and then Thailand for the rest of this year so wont make Collie unfortunately... I was going to gve the keys to the boy for Collie( the circiuit there really suited the car set last year i thought) but he broke has hand a couple of weeks ago so he cant drive at the moment..

Enjoy yourself at Collie

cheers :cheers:

At our age we are allowed to be as the song goes.." Insane in the membrane....INSANE IN THE BRAIN!!

Thanks again for following up and closing out..

cheers

Gosh, I've had that song in my bloody head for an hour now!

I'm going looking for Family Guy and "Bird bird, bird is the word!" to try and get rid of it :)

haha, Crunch is ok mate.

We finally found a new tie rod end yesterday, bashed the panels kind of back into GTR shape, wheel aligned, swapped his tyres off the smashed Enkeis onto my 34 rims, and he's back out at Lakeside now.

I'm planning on heading out once I've done some work that can't be avoided. Supposed to be a full day but QR has stuffed it up and not starting until 12 now.

Radcams are tough. I had it suction cupped to the left quarter panel, it got crunched into the armco, but survived with only a few grazes :)

Edited by Marlin

haha, Crunch is ok mate.

We finally found a new tie rod end yesterday, bashed the panels kind of back into GTR shape, wheel aligned, swapped his tyres off the smashed Enkeis onto my 34 rims, and he's back out at Lakeside now.

I'm planning on heading out once I've done some work that can't be avoided. Supposed to be a full day but QR has stuffed it up and not starting until 12 now.

Radcams are tough. I had it suction cupped to the left quarter panel, it got crunched into the armco, but survived with only a few grazes :)

MR Woo,

I am a bit of an old squabler and dont have much experience with forums etc, but i am looking for advice with R spec skins for the car.

Seeing this is the site where other GTR victims shoot the sh1t, I thought someone here might be able to shed some light for me

I have tried a set RE55's but didnt like them and i did beat them up pretty hard..I then tried a set of dzo3g Mediums for targa west last year and loved them but killed them within about 1300klms..i then tried another set of dzo3g's the next compound up liked them but only got about the same life span maybe a smidge more...

I love the grip and feel they give but i am still learning on how to manage tyres...would you recommend staying with them and continue learning how to manage them or would you suggest going to something else that is a bit more "user friendly"...i really dig the grip and feel they give but the life span is an issue.

Even if i did change to another brand, what type of additional life span could i expect?

onya!

I

Mornin :)

I still feel the O3G is a great tarmac and sprint tyre. The choice at the moment really is only between the Dunlop and Yoki Advan A050 (although, I'd love to do some real testing of the Federal FZ01 is I had a budget!).

THE Dunlop to choose for a GTR is the "R", which sounds like you've used. Not quite sure why you tore them up so badly, maybe someone familiar with the roads in WA can shed some light there? (1,300 Competetive kays is pretty bloody good though!)

With the event (Big Targa) now allowing you use 6 tyres instead of just the 4, the tyre issue is much less now, so, even treated a little harshly, O3G R's will get through no worries.

As you say, managing them is the key, and there's a heap of guys (some are even quick! :P) within this forum section who are willing to share their experiences.

You're welcome to PM me for my ph # if ya want to yap when you're back from getting "massaged" in whatever Asian country it is you're visiting......

Getting the correct tyre pressure, and alignment can have a huge effect on tyre life. The D03's should be run at 30psi hot, when you get to 32+ you will start chewing the centres out of them. M's are too soft for a GT-R, as Woo said, you should run R's.

Were your tyes wearing evenly?

Mornin :)

I still feel the O3G is a great tarmac and sprint tyre. The choice at the moment really is only between the Dunlop and Yoki Advan A050 (although, I'd love to do some real testing of the Federal FZ01 is I had a budget!).

THE Dunlop to choose for a GTR is the "R", which sounds like you've used. Not quite sure why you tore them up so badly, maybe someone familiar with the roads in WA can shed some light there? (1,300 Competetive kays is pretty bloody good though!)

With the event (Big Targa) now allowing you use 6 tyres instead of just the 4, the tyre issue is much less now, so, even treated a little harshly, O3G R's will get through no worries.

As you say, managing them is the key, and there's a heap of guys (some are even quick! :P) within this forum section who are willing to share their experiences.

You're welcome to PM me for my ph # if ya want to yap when you're back from getting "massaged" in whatever Asian country it is you're visiting......

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Woo!!

I am currently floating between Nu Ziland...and Thailand but will take you up on your offer to have a yarn when I'm back in Auz.:thanks:

Having used RE55's, Dunlop M's and R's and the Yoki A050 M's for Tarmac Rallies I can say for a GT-R that the A050's win hands down.

I just wish they made them in bigger sizes :(

FWIW - A050 pressures are best around 34-36 too.

Having used RE55's, Dunlop M's and R's and the Yoki A050 M's for Tarmac Rallies I can say for a GT-R that the A050's win hands down.

I just wish they made them in bigger sizes :(

FWIW - A050 pressures are best around 34-36 too.

See, there ya go, my experiences with A050's is different, we've found them faster at 32 hot, the Japanese Yoki guy suggested the same.

BUT, road rallying is completely different to circuit, and additionally, what works on a 1600kg GTR may well be diiferent to a 1400kg GTR.

Getting the correct tyre pressure, and alignment can have a huge effect on tyre life. The D03's should be run at 30psi hot, when you get to 32+ you will start chewing the centres out of them. M's are too soft for a GT-R, as Woo said, you should run R's.

Were your tyes wearing evenly?

Hey Ben,

Thanks to you as well for sharing your knowledge..

I can confirm that I am currently running the R compound and try to keep them under 32 hot ...although I have clearly gone above that in some intances based on i am still learning a "system to manage my tyres"

I have a mixture of effects depending on what event I run...

1)My last circuit outing at Barbagallo ( bout 2 months ago) the front left started to delaminate all the way around the outside corner of the tyre...about 25mm so i put it back on the trailer.

Barbagallo is real hard on left fronts ive been told.

2)I also did Targa Southwest last May( no delamination issues) but did wear the middle out a little more than the rest.

And the fronts do wear more on the insides based on camber i would assume.

I also think I mighht be to aggressive at times because the fronts generally wear quicker than the rears, so i swap fronts to rear and visa versa after each event

cheers