SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

See, there ya go, my experiences with A050's is different, we've found them faster at 32 hot, the Japanese Yoki guy suggested the same.

BUT, road rallying is completely different to circuit, and additionally, what works on a 1600kg GTR may well be diiferent to a 1400kg GTR.

Pretty sure Blaise found that same results as me in his 900kgs EMO.

(ok so maybe it was 1200kgs)

^^^^ Hahaha, beat me to it. My 2.8 litre 900kg Evo loved the A050's. ;) (ok...maybe a 2.0 litre 1260kg one) I found the max pressure in the dry to run was 34. Woo, also got the tip from the TA guys on the 32psi setting but mine seemed to go better and give more even temps across the tyre face at 34 hot. You definately start to hurt them over that. Although only exception being the wet. I found they offer more grip slightly harder in the wet.

Chris, you are spot on re Barbagallo. The surface in general is very abrasive on tyres, and particular hard on the front left due to the layout. You can never have enough front camber on the front left there. Re the tyre wear, if you are wearing the middle out, that may be an indicator they are too hard and crowning in the middle. Teh edge wear is more about alignment.

^^^^ Hahaha, beat me to it. My 2.8 litre 900kg Evo loved the A050's. ;) (ok...maybe a 2.0 litre 1260kg one) I found the max pressure in the dry to run was 34. Woo, also got the tip from the TA guys on the 32psi setting but mine seemed to go better and give more even temps across the tyre face at 34 hot. You definately start to hurt them over that. Although only exception being the wet. I found they offer more grip slightly harder in the wet.

Chris, you are spot on re Barbagallo. The surface in general is very abrasive on tyres, and particular hard on the front left due to the layout. You can never have enough front camber on the front left there. Re the tyre wear, if you are wearing the middle out, that may be an indicator they are too hard and crowning in the middle. Teh edge wear is more about alignment.

Surely though more weight requires more tyre pressure? A 1600kg (Full fat with driver & fuel) R32 would want/need a higher run pressure than an Emo.

^^^^ I'm not sure on the science Richard. Certainly heavier, more powerful cars (GTR's) hurt tyres more than lighter less powerful ones, but the pressure seems to be more dependent on the characteristics of the tyre and its carcass as opposed to the car its on. The tyre itself seems to have a sweet spot pressure wise.

^^^^ I'm not sure on the science Richard. Certainly heavier, more powerful cars (GTR's) hurt tyres more than lighter less powerful ones, but the pressure seems to be more dependent on the characteristics of the tyre and its carcass as opposed to the car its on. The tyre itself seems to have a sweet spot pressure wise.

If the RE55 is no more then it looks like I will need something different. Either Yokies or Dunlops. May not have a choice anymore if Bridgestone dont get their sht together & offer something decent. I had always stayed away from the Yokies because of the A048s reputation & the Dunlops because I'm not a squillionaire. Toyos are hopeless on a heavy car.

No idea where to source Dunlops from at a reasonable price in WA, however. From memory Wheels World does the Yokies (They sponser the SES & I cant remember the blokes name - how bad is that?)

Wish my tub of lard weighed 900kg!

^^^^ Speak to John at Wheels World. I was the same on the yokies initially. Was a dyed in the cloth Bridgestone user and took some convincing to come across to yokie, also based on the fact the A048 were so crap!! But they are an excellent tyre. The M compound is the "hard" (they do an S softer one) and is the way forward. Better price than the dunlops generally as well.

Nitto NT01's are a decent semi for those of us who are prepared to compramise in the grip -v- life equation just a bit. Bugger the local rip offs, import them.

AFAIK Nitto = Toyo.

Also Tyre rack do not offer R compounds in anything you would not be ashamed of.

AFAIK Nitto = Toyo.

So people say. Certainly they have a business connexion but I've yet to see anything fairly definate that indicates they use the same compound. As well the NT01's have a good rep in the US, the post RA1 Toyos do not.

the 'business relationship' is that Nitto is a brand division of Toyo in the USA (& Canada), with the marketing advantage of being 'made in the USA'.

http://www.toyojapan.com/cgi-bin/column/data/release/1119852599.html

Did Nitto North America's 25 staff develop an entirely new semi slick construction and compound and sell it cheaper than the parent company's R888, or is it built with Toyo technology and differentiated by a new look for the North American market? I'd be looking for any evidence that it is different...

Edited by hrd-hr30

So people say. Certainly they have a business connexion but I've yet to see anything fairly definate that indicates they use the same compound. As well the NT01's have a good rep in the US, the post RA1 Toyos do not.

They have the same tread wear rating - 100 UTQG. Also the same construction.

And yes, Toyo are the parent company for Nitto.