SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

I believe my friends, THAT is a Datsun doing a text book "under steer of fail"

Bahahahaha. Most definitely. Seems you could easily get caught out. It was getting away from him for quite a while and just didn't seem to find any more grip. The TTRS with softs would have been putting on a good show.

We pulled out on Monday after working our rs off.

We are upgrading to the latest spec DSG TTRS and that involved the latest ecu. (it been a massive job!)

We had the car running but struck an ecu issue that needed some programming gear from OS. (Audi trying to stop us messing with the tune....) We couldn't get it in time.

But yes Blaise, we would be licking our lips in those conditions. We could have under steered of failed our way around those hills.

We pulled out on Monday after working our rs off.

You've been saving that one for a while hey! :)

And I understand your frustration. My car is in the sad shed currently because the ECU is over-riding what we are telling it to do simply because the heart rattles a bit.

I must get it sorted one day though if only to take up your PI challenge!

Yeah I was curious about this too.

I know how significant injectors are in these things. Capacity increases are less likely to be an issue though IMO as the gains just aren't big enough to warrant doing it.

Hmmm. Interesting. CAMS and TQ dont have the most friendly past........

Allegedly Rullo was having a close look at Jim Richards GT2RS at Targa West as apparently its for sale. I think he left a similar trail of gearbox destruction over here.

You shouldnt feel so bad now Snowy. At least you are shitting multipple boxes in a weekend. :)

Evos I think are OK as they are LMS?? so can run the required fuel system to run E85?

35GTR is SS so I think the mods required to make E85 work (injectors) arent allowed,.

Edited by Darkside

Just refereshed myself on the rules.

53. Fuel Injection (except Showroom and Modern SS)

Fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulators are free for vehicles originally fitted with fuel injection.

Hadnt looked at early/moderns LMS for a while as I had been a bit focussed on another class.....fook me they have made some significant changes....

Ported heads...custom intake manifolds....oversize valves....1mm oversize pistons among others....... Ei carumba. Could make yourself a fairly mental 32/33/34 GTR or evo with those relaxations of the rules...even a TTRS for that matter :)

Edited by Darkside

Evo's and GT-R's arn't allowed to run MS, so they are only allowed forgies...and 1mm over is usually within factory tolorences. only little gtst's are allowed the extra stuff.

^^^^^^ epic oversight Ben. You are spot on. Emo and gtr are lms. Just managed to flick over the page and not notice I had moved on to MS specs. Thought it was too good to be true. I wanted to believe it cause someone had mentioned they had loosened trikes a bit, but they may have made the same mistake, as it really doesn't seem to have changed at all.

As you were...ignore my ramblings...

R35's can't run E85 regardless of the injector rules.

But even on 98RON there is a significant performance advantage potential available with running bigger injectors. The standard ones run out pretty early compared to what you can make with these things with everything else being ok with-in the rules.

And I don't get how Rullo could have broken 2 boxes and finished 3rd? When they break the cars don't drive at all. The ECU just says limp mode and only 1 set of gears available. Max speed is like 40km/hr.

And Blaise - I've only done about 40kms since rebuilding the box. Plenty of time yet to blow another one once we fix the engine!

No doubt the injectors don't flow enough for what the engines CAN make, even on 98 fuel, but you can still get a lot more power out of them than standard on the OE injectors, you just have to be smart about it.

It clearly states in the rules that ECU and PCM can be replaced and have wiring changes and sensors added. Rullo is running (development) Motec M1 plug in ECU's for the engine and trans. This firstly allows the engine to ignore any limp home requests from other units in the car, and secondly the TCM allows the trans to struggle on as best possible, with whatever mechanical breakage has occurred. Replace these two control units and no kind of 'limp home mode' can stop the car!

One of Rullo's breakages was the front drive shaft in the trans on prologue, and RWD only is reflected in the prologue times. The other breakage was a chipped tooth on a gear which happened to be a gear that a speed sensor reads. This cause an occasional miss shift but otherwise the TCM carried on. That trans was the one that did TT as well, so it has seen some work for an OE trans.

That's how you break gearboxes and finish 3rd, they are just 'minor' breakages and smart control.

I think the rule for not allowing gear set changes in the R35 is a bit unfair, especially when the gear box internals are not available from Nissan and you have to buy complete gearboxes... Having those rules in place for other cars stops them fitting the likes of dog engaged gear sets, but the DSG in the R35 is better than that anyway. As long as the gearset is the same ratios, it makes no difference to the speed of the car, it's just much cheaper and far more reliable to run an aftermarket gear set, of which plenty are available with OE gear ratios.

Edited by twinvl

• 2 weeks later...