SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

We are out unfortunately with engine trouble. Played it pretty safe all day but the car has been feeling down on go. Something popped near the top of the hill - hopefully not too serious. Also need to do a bit of work getting the suspension set up - not quite confidence inspiring in the faster stuff yet. One day Thc, one day....

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

No good mate. But it took me 3 rallies to iron out the bugs and get the set-up right when I built the white one. Track laps just don't replicate rally conditions.

Also - you changed the shocks right? I reckon Chris sets them up too soft for Rally as he sets them up how HE likes them for a track/DECA. I had to take Tim Hendy's for a drive and tell Chris what needed changing on his one when it was built as he had the same no confidence issues - it was a little loose on high speed lift off's for example which was no good for fast rally times. Tim's car is pretty sweet now - not sure what happened on Day 1 but he was ticking the boxes on Sunday that's for sure.

Let me know if you want me to have a look at it with you.

No good mate. But it took me 3 rallies to iron out the bugs and get the set-up right when I built the white one. Track laps just don't replicate rally conditions.

Also - you changed the shocks right? I reckon Chris sets them up too soft for Rally as he sets them up how HE likes them for a track/DECA. I had to take Tim Hendy's for a drive and tell Chris what needed changing on his one when it was built as he had the same no confidence issues - it was a little loose on high speed lift off's for example which was no good for fast rally times. Tim's car is pretty sweet now - not sure what happened on Day 1 but he was ticking the boxes on Sunday that's for sure.

Mate yeah that would be awesome - you're right I think it's a bit too soft. Rebuilt the MCA's and just need to replicate those settings from the white car it just worked so well. Corner speed is way down and at higher speeds there is a lot of body roll. We were 1:15 slower up buller this time round and I can only manage a 25 at sandown where I was in the 21s before! Vbox confirms the lower corner speeds. Feels like if I put any more boot in the tyres will start letting go and won't be able to catch it.

Guessing you are at sau nats next weekend so maybe catch up after that when you're free. Is the 35 good to go or you need a car for nats?

I had to cancel the Nats. Too busy at work (both for me and Chris so he still hasn't looked at my car).

I am going to try and make it up to DECA though so that might be a great place to have a look. We can go out the back in the afternoon whilst people play battles on the skidpan.

Yeh we passed Tim Hendy on Tolmie? i think and it wasn't sounding healthy, he got it to the lunch service and wasn't really looking to hard at it so must have just been a cooler pipe or something?

We had a reasonably good run on Saturday, I don't think we could have gone much quicker. I got Wooster-itus Saturday night and proceeded to be very sick on Sunday till about lunch time. We had a few electrical issues in the morning too, causing us to miss a few stages. We were happy with the times after lunch and glad to finish the event.

Oh and it was good to meet Paul and Ekaterina finally too!

I am going to try and make it up to DECA though so that might be a great place to have a look. We can go out the back in the afternoon whilst people play battles on the skidpan.

Yeah mate that sounds great.

Oh and it was good to meet Paul and Ekaterina finally too!

Likewise mate pleasure to finally meet you and a few others in person. One terrible hangover on Monday that was for sure!

Seems our engine is ok and maybe I was just being a bit paranoid about a new car / engine. I drove it most of the way back on Monday and it was all good. I think just a bit of oil had made its way to the intake via breather causing the blue smoke - need to investigate, few other oddities but the basics are holding together! Also picked up one mother of a chunk of rubber/tar near the top was getting god awful vibrations that made me think something else was wrong.

I got Wooster-itus Saturday night and proceeded to be very sick on Sunday till about lunch time.

Wooster-itus

adj

1. intoxicated with alcohol to the extent of losing control over normal physical and mental functions

Just thought I'd clear that up!

A little disappointing to have to withdraw from Mirimbah on Sunday morning, but we had a miss that developed early on Saturday morning and got progressively worse throughout the day and became unbearable on Sunday morning. Better to pull out than throw rods etc... Changed the coil packs before comp on Sunday to no avail.

We have since found a few small things that would suggest why we had the problem (wrong spark plugs, tune that may not have compensated for altitude) but the most amazing thing is that we made it through Targa Tas on the same plugs/setup, came third and won a championship...talk about lucky!

So the Evo is back in the workshop getting some attention prior to the trip back down to Vic for Lake Mountain next weekend. The good thing is that we should have a little moar powah and torque to compliment the suspension setup we have nailed. Oh, and the new brake package...Sammy out braked herself on numerous occasions last weekend and had to accellerate INTO 5s and 6s cos the things are so effective.

ps...Mansfield was a blast :cheers:

Mixed bag of news there mate, hope it all goes well with the Evo.

God I love hearing this "Sammy out braked herself on numerous occasions last weekend and had to accellerate INTO 5s and 6s cos the things are so effective."

I love brakes :)

Cheers, it should be a good thing in the end. The compression test came up sweet so no damage that we can tell at this stage. After Lake Mountain we will decide on a second tune for either Elf 102 or a return to E85. The past experience with E85 was not a positive one so will be last resort. (blew two engines on the shit)

We've just upgraded to 6pot/4pot Stoptech from the US (thank you sponsors!) with forged calipers and 355/320mm two piece rotors...retardation is, well, retarded! :rolleyes:

I saw the pics on FB, very sexy brakes.

Do you have the option of running a content sensor like some of the GT-R boys are doing now?

Thats the first Ive heard of a content sensor....that would make things all kinds of easy when switching between fuels.

I was under the impression the Powertune R34 is using one, as is GTR Sean or whatever his name is on these forums. I've been keeping tabs in the build threads.

Your ECU needs to support it though, as for what they are running I can't remember but you can definitely have a sensor that detects ethanol percent and allows the tune to be adjusted on the fly. Very cool stuff.

That's a rudimentary run down but the guys on here will be all over it and can fill you in on all the details.

Edited by ActionDan

If you are losing engines "because" of E85 your are either using a dodgy brand of fuel (but from memory you were on powerplus which is very good), or your tuner needs to be replaced.

On E85 my car can take so much timing it starts losing power (granted it's a RB20).

If you are losing engines "because" of E85 your are either using a dodgy brand of fuel (but from memory you were on powerplus which is very good), or your tuner needs to be replaced.

On E85 my car can take so much timing it starts losing power (granted it's a RB20).

Ben, It was definitely the tuner, but funnily enough, none of his other tunes on other cars had an issue...You're right in remembering that it was powerplus so all we need to do is find a decent tuner to play with this time. We have one doing doing his magic with 98 this Monday and he is a BIG advocate of 85 with results that speak for themselves as we know of at least one car he has tuned that is making near on 300 atw with no issues for 3 years. Fingers crossed. (plus, have you seen the price of 102 lately.... :yucky: )