SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Sav man and I have been running power plus e85 for over 2 years in both of our cars and haven't had any problems with injectors pumps or regulators. Both cars sit for long stints and start no problems first go. I know for a fact that people I compete with have run cheaper e85 and shit multiple fuel pumps and seized injectors. It hasn't been a one off either.

E85 is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture so if it isn't stored right the h2o level can rise. There is a percentage of h2o allowed by law in e85 during manufacture. Some cheaper fuels will add this percentage to the fuel as essentially it's free to them. This moisture in the fuel is what causes stuf to fail.

Then you also have the 15% of normal petroleum that is added as. Different manufactures will uses different octane fuel for the 15%. Some use as little as 91 octane. Some like power plus use 98 octane.

I don't sell the stuff so I have no need to rate the stuff but I think people waste a lot of time and money thinking the can find a better deal or product when there is proven results in the field.

As for engine failure on e85 that will come down to tuner moreso than the fuel but that is where a flex fuel oxy sensor comes in to play

Hope that helps.

Powerplus isn't immune to gumming and fouling Damo, have seen identical fuel pump and injector issues with cars running both racefuels and powerplus E85. The general consensus was to not leave it sitting in the car for prolonged periods and to flush the system with 98......although I am guilty of leaving the car sitting unused for months with E85 in the tank.

I was always under the impression that the consistency of drum derived fuel was so minor that a flex sensor would have little effect, it was more suited to road cars running pump E85 (which varies dramatically in octane content)?

Heard nothing but good reports regarding the martini 116 E85 in terms of blend consistency and being "gum free" although it is nearly $1.00/l more expensive.

So Lake Mountain this weekend and I doubt we will have any shortage of runs as the entry list (although non existent) is only around 15 or so.

Timmy, I know you and The Danny are going to be there, does anyone know of anyone else?

Evo is getting tuned this arvo and barring any major catastrophes we will lob into Buxton mid afternoon on Friday.

So Lake Mountain this weekend and I doubt we will have any shortage of runs as the entry list (although non existent) is only around 15 or so.

Timmy, I know you and The Danny are going to be there, does anyone know of anyone else?

Evo is getting tuned this arvo and barring any major catastrophes we will lob into Buxton mid afternoon on Friday.

Yeh entry list is pretty low, but don't know of any others going.

I fly in about 10am so we should be up there after lunch... Only so much recce you can do on a 10km stretch. So no doubt we will see you at the Buxton Hotel for a bevvy or 2!

Dan, on the E85 stuff, dont be afraid of giving it another whirl. As Ben and others have said its an epic fuel. I really rated it and the evo engines love it...as do GTR's apparently. Only downside is consumption is a little more. But great upsides of being detonation proof and running cooler. As Ben found, my tuner has cranked more and more timing into an engine they they will not det, the power curve just dips. So i would be surprised if the tune killed the engine, well at least too much timing killing it, possibly more the build of it? The higher combustion pressures of E85 will stress it more in that regard.

If you can get the cold start right (we found dumping in heaps of fuel worked) I reckon its the way forward. The chook cooker will be running it for sure. Fark me that is going to be some fuel bill... but cheaper that the other gucci stuff at circa $10/litre. Gonna need a pretty big tank too to get through arrowsmith.... :)

Enjoy your DRIVE at lake Mountain. :)

Blaise, we are pretty well sold on having another dip at E85 now that we have a tuner that fully understands it and how to tune it, something the last mob didn't seem to quite have a grasp on. Had the car re-tuned yesterday after a bit of a "simplify" of our setup and we're making good linear power now with a better top end and more power. It seems as though we have finally got someone plugged into our car who understands how to get the most out of these things. The cold start was something that she always struggled with so the information on dumping the fuel in is most appreciated...but how cold does it get in Perth???

I will admit that the price of 'gucci fuel' turned me off straight away. You're going to need a Bathurst spec fuel tank to run that thing.

Cold start not a prob in Perth, but it also started well at Buller and in Tassie. ;)

Glad to hear you are finding good people. It makes all the difference. Not much difference in cost between the pretender muppets and those who actually know what they are doing, but the results are very different :)

He's actually cheaper than anyone we have used before. Road tuning (so we aren't being slugged for dyno time) and datalogging support to continually monitor and adjust the map/s during or after a rally.

It's guys like this that really show how bad a majority of so called tuners really are.