SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Shame to see you pulling the pin Scott. Focussing on track based stuff or hanging up the gloves for a while?

Farkin GT3 RS. One day I will at least get a ride in one if not drive one. So much want.

Switching series this year to compete in the Mountain Motorsports ATRC. All mainland events means no Spirit of Tas and the entire season for the cost of Targa Tas.

We're also doing zero car at TWP in a few weeks and possibly some sort of official role at TT, yet to be confirmed. Still love catching up with the rally community at the Octagon events, so official duties means we help out and still see yous all! :3some:

^^^ Cost is always a killer Dan. Try doing it from Perth :) That tassie run is a killer but we did it on the bones of our arse and just drove the car on to the ferry and down to Hobart with no support vehiucle or trailer. Thats seems to be where the proper rape is. :)

Hearing you about missing the crew. If I dont get myself back to THC in a car will definitely consider a weekend over there on the sauce.

I am hearing though. If I was melbs or Sydney based, I would be hitting up the weekend events that MM do along with THC. Kind of like the two days of madness and then on the piss. The effort for the full targa tas event is pretty huge. The time required to recci and run the event plus the financial side makes it a pretty big undertaking.

Edited by Darkside

Shame to see you pulling the pin Scott. Focussing on track based stuff or hanging up the gloves for a while?

Farkin GT3 RS. One day I will at least get a ride in one if not drive one. So much want.

Going to concentate on the circuit stuff I think Blaise, although it looks like I could be taking the year off work and heading back to school, which will mean a year off from any events.

Love the tarmac rounds but the costs of even doing the 2 day events are astronomical compared to running circuit racing (plus a whole lot more unforgiving in the event of unforseen errors)!

Just to rub salt I got to drive said gt3. Funny thoe I didn't like it haha. I would love the back end and the torque in a skyline but not a fan of the front.

If you get a cabin on the spirit. One car 2 people you can kiss $800 good bye. Add car trailer and service car/crew it goes up rapidly.

Really need to drive a GT3 so I can decide if its something i should continue to lust after or can move on. Hate it to be a situation like finally snagging the unobtainable girl only to discover she didnt deliver :) Often here the comment on the "typical porsche front end" Had a quick blat in a 996 TT and it seemed fine but it is the AWD platform.

I quite like the adventure of getting on the spirit and having a few frothies marking the start of the "adventure" but it certainly does add some cost. Could never have come at the rape they dish out for cars and trailers though.

Really need to drive a GT3 so I can decide if its something i should continue to lust after or can move on. Hate it to be a situation like finally snagging the unobtainable girl only to discover she didnt deliver :) Often here the comment on the "typical porsche front end" Had a quick blat in a 996 TT and it seemed fine but it is the AWD platform.

I quite like the adventure of getting on the spirit and having a few frothies marking the start of the "adventure" but it certainly does add some cost. Could never have come at the rape they dish out for cars and trailers though.

Yea I've heard since that that is what they are like. I think it's one of thoes things where people go gee I've spent a lot of money in this car

I'm not going to tell people it sux. Haha I'm sure its a personal preference.

*cough* I have a 996 GT3 *cough*

Um, they are expensive, there are cheaper ways of going fast, and you've got to be able to afford to crash it.......Gulp. On the other hand they will retain their value relatively well, be reliable and not cost a lot to go from road spec to tarmac trim. I could put the front half of the factory cage in, disable airbags, change pads, tyres, install fire extinguisher, intercom, nav system and away I go to my next event. I could drive to the event in full A/C too.

As for the drive, the first time I drove one was when mine was in tarmac spec so harnesses only, full race dash, full cage, no interior, lethal clutch, low diff, lightened fly wheel and a virtually non silenced exhaust. What an experience. I bought it on that drive. Luckily my mate was selling it on behalf of someone else and I got a 2 hour drive in the hills for a test drive.

They way it chases the red line, how smoothly it loves to rev, the noise it makes, and the overall 'good' feeling of the car are fairly compelling. It is a different drive. I personally have never experienced any of those rear engined 911 horror stories and found it to be a predicable and exploitable companion. It is slow in and fast out and yes the nose bobs around but none of that is bad, it's just what it is.

As you probably know I have a 32 GTR too and I'm not sure what I'd rather drive which says a lot for the 20 year old Nissan. One thing to think aobut is the GTR will cost you a lot more than you think / will admit to the wife modifiying and making reliable for the same purpose, and you'll never get your money back on those $ spent.

If you're in Vic and not a wally IRL I'd be happy to take anyone for a spin if you're considering buying one.

*cough* I have a 996 GT3 *cough*

Um, they are expensive, there are cheaper ways of going fast, and you've got to be able to afford to crash it.......Gulp. On the other hand they will retain their value relatively well, be reliable and not cost a lot to go from road spec to tarmac trim. I could put the front half of the factory cage in, disable airbags, change pads, tyres, install fire extinguisher, intercom, nav system and away I go to my next event. I could drive to the event in full A/C too.

As for the drive, the first time I drove one was when mine was in tarmac spec so harnesses only, full race dash, full cage, no interior, lethal clutch, low diff, lightened fly wheel and a virtually non silenced exhaust. What an experience. I bought it on that drive. Luckily my mate was selling it on behalf of someone else and I got a 2 hour drive in the hills for a test drive.

They way it chases the red line, how smoothly it loves to rev, the noise it makes, and the overall 'good' feeling of the car are fairly compelling. It is a different drive. I personally have never experienced any of those rear engined 911 horror stories and found it to be a predicable and exploitable companion. It is slow in and fast out and yes the nose bobs around but none of that is bad, it's just what it is.

As you probably know I have a 32 GTR too and I'm not sure what I'd rather drive which says a lot for the 20 year old Nissan. One thing to think aobut is the GTR will cost you a lot more than you think / will admit to the wife modifiying and making reliable for the same purpose, and you'll never get your money back on those $ spent.

If you're in Vic and not a wally IRL I'd be happy to take anyone for a spin if you're considering buying one.

I can so verify the R32 & wife comments......She will look at you and the car with disgust.....

You planning on doing the sprint at Winton Nick? I have booked in the R32 for some track time!!!! Cooling hoses have been replaced! I am also doing the John Bowe day on 31st January at Phillip Island.

Ev, when is Winton? Haven't been back since I spun a bearing........too far for the old GTR bus - long tow home if it all goes up in smoke.......maybe in the Porker.......

Not considered PI either. Should get my ass into gear as I've got nothing booked. Baw Baw is on my birthday and I've got a posh dinner out and the kids taken care of Sunday morning so I won't get the necessary permit for that event so must sort something else out in lieu.

Diff in GTR still needs doing, but the seat, harness bar, harness Trackart will be finished Monday next week so she's getting closer to race fit!

Cheers.

Winton is Sunday 3rd of February. Check our MSCA website to enrol. $200 isnt bad value.

Also there is a track day at phillip island on 28th February through driveevents.

I am booked into the 31st Phillip island and the winton sprint on the 3rd feb.

I have purchased a Ruzic 4WD controller for the 32......should be interesting.