SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Thanks Mr "unf**kingsubscribed" :) Definitely dumber from reading that thread,.

EDIT: And best of luck to all those having a crack at TWP this weekend. Have a fast, fun safe one.

Just don't use cheap studs. Cheap studs have soft knurles and have a tendency to spin in the hub. And bind on the threads. It's no fun trying to undo a nut off a turning thread.

I'll be interested to see if kell only drinks 2 days worth of drink rather than the 5 days worth she drinks after TT

Edited by DJRIFT

Fellas,

little tech question. I have a minor issue where the front studs on the mazda are 12x1.5 thread and the studs on the floater rear are .5" unf. Ideally I would like to run the same thread/wheelnut front and rear. I guess the preference would be to go for the larger .5" stud all round. Have looked around and there aren't any studs I can find with the right sized knurl to be a press in option for the front hub in the .5" thread. Am guessing its not possible to get the knurling on the hub remachined to a bigger size (havent really looked into it) so my other option was to tap a thread through and go a screw in (loctite) .5" cro mo stud on the front. Any downsides to screw in?

Any thoughts

edit: seems you can drill new holes to the correct size (.007" undersize of the knurl) and press in new studs. Probably the answer.

just further to this Blaise, I suggest running longer than normal studs too. Look at long studs that drag racers favour (and some classes require). Using an open-ended nut, the wheel stud protrudes right through it, allowing you to easily see at a glance they are in fact done up, AND allows vice grips on the stud if you ever have a siezed nut.

^^^^ Cheers all. Was looking at the ARP Cro Mo studs. Figure they should be up to the task. Similarly woo was going to go a bit longer and get the quick start nose on them for nascar spec wheel changes :)

I had been looking for open ended wheel nuts for a while and found that gktech sell them an quite cheep. Available in short or long nut both open ended and steel so they don't strip.

^^^^ Nice tip. Thanks. That will be the next thing to chase once the studs are sorted.

Seems i cant get a press fit stud to suit the mazda hub (shoulders are too big or knurl dia to big making the holes get dangerously close to the outside edge.

Looks like I will stick with 12x1.5 on the front but goa longer quick start nose cro mo jobbie and change the rear hubs to match. If that stud size is good enough for gazzilion horsepower GTRs it should be sweet for me. :)

Testament to a good YT cage. Driver spent a night in hospital (took his HANS off in the morning cause it was too uncomfortable), and the nav has a broken pelvis. But the doors still open and close! I'd hate to think what shape they'd be in with a shitty TMR bolt in cage.

post-5985-0-43680700-1359968699_thumb.jpg

^^^^ Hearing you. Just not the area you want to cut corners on. Bolt ins just should be an option for tarmac rally. Similarly, would not run without a HANS and side supporting seats. Unrelated, but I remember getting both front teeth knocked out as a kid playing hockey cause I took my mouth guard out for 5 mins cause it was pissing me off. Be gutted if you ran without your HANS and busted your neck or had massive head trauma. Bit like feeling like a tool for wearing your race suit at less than big events.....but would be a proper muppet if that was the event your car decided to burst into flames in.

And re the event, only managed to follow in the virtual world, but hats off to Rickards for what looked like an epic drive. And the captain for putting away all but the lambo. Farkin allright for a hairdressers car. :) Seems this fella in the 240z in classic can pedal as well. Pretty dominant drive.

Always like to think the best of other competitors... (I was one of the gullible f**ks that thought Lance Armstrong might have been clean... ) i reckon it seems they are relative new comers to the sport. (as I am) I reckon you definitely find more speed as you get a better handle on where to find the speed easily and where it isn't worth trying for it. Maybe just finding their mojo a bit. Seems they had some good pace on seasoned campaigners like Todd and Garwood. No doubt it must be a nice bit of gear as well. Be interesting to see if Rex comes back for TT.

Yeah sorry, didnt mean to insinuate that. To be honest with the very open rules in classic, I am not sure that you can :) But must have been a surprise to some of the more established crews. have definitely raised the bar. I am guessing just a new crew that have really taken to it. There must be a heap of undiscovered talent out there.

Edited by Darkside