SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

I remember marshalling that year, we had a different season each day, and on the Sunday about half the track side workers came down with food poisoning midway through the GP due to dodgy eggs in the sandwiches.

Super stuff Stu. Well deserved.

And even though he won't read it - fantastic job by Mr Perry over the years. The Targa Rallies truely are some of the great events available for non-professional motorsport lovers in this country, and their current success are largely thanks to him.

Hello Targa guys,

I am considering building a car and entering Targa Adelaide in 2014.
I am having trouble interpreting some of the rules, who would be the best person to talk to about my queries to gain some clarification?
Mainly regarding the modifications to body work and wheels.

For anyone here, I am wondering, If my car is an R32 GTS-T, would an R32 GTR front not be allowed?
Similarly, if I am allowed 2" more width and 2" more diameter in my wheels, would that mean:

I am allowed a maximum of 18" diameter and 8.5" width? Coming from 16x6.5" stock wheel?

Or, do I base my measurements from any of the R32 models, e.g. GTR?

Thank you for your help,

Anthony.

Hey Anthony,

best bet is to get in touch with the Targa tech people. Previously it was Stuart Benson however as per posts above he is now running the show :)

I would imagine there are details on the website.

Re the rules, i think you have to consider what it is being entered as. If you are entering it as a R32 GTST, then your assumptions on modifications need to be based around that car and not the 32 GTR. so on the wheels you are spot on. +2" in each direction over standard. (18x8.5 based on your info provided)

Re the front bar, I woudl expect it has to be GTST parts not GTR.

But there are some far more experienced datsun campaigners on here that can shine more light on it for you.......that exact car in fact.

Hey Anthony,

best bet is to get in touch with the Targa tech people. Previously it was Stuart Benson however as per posts above he is now running the show :)

I would imagine there are details on the website.

Re the rules, i think you have to consider what it is being entered as. If you are entering it as a R32 GTST, then your assumptions on modifications need to be based around that car and not the 32 GTR. so on the wheels you are spot on. +2" in each direction over standard. (18x8.5 based on your info provided)

Re the front bar, I woudl expect it has to be GTST parts not GTR.

But there are some far more experienced datsun campaigners on here that can shine more light on it for you.......that exact car in fact.

Hello Darkside,

Thanks for your help. From what I can interpret from the rules (I downloaded the technical rules from the Targa website) you are correct.

It would have to be a standard R32 GTS-T front bar etc, wheels, as you say, 18"x8.5" maximum.

There are a lot of rules to interpret! I am looking at everything, weighing up the costs and considering building a car in time for Targa Adelaide 2014.

I'll be sure to keep reading through this thread for information - I'm pretty lost in relation to braking and suspension setup and would I would 'need' for this type of racing.

Thanks,

Anthony.

You can run any body kit from a model run (R32 in this case) under the option rules. So you can run GT-R front bar, bonnet, and rear wing. Guards have to be Gtst as the GT-R guards are wider.

You can run upto 18x8 (pretty sure the stock rims are 16x6), but I run 17x8 rims cause i'm a jew. BUT you can also run factory option wheel sizes... which bump it up to 18x9, as you could option Nismo 18x9 wheels on Skylines back in the day.

^^^^ There ya go Anthony. One of the GTST gurus I had in mind. :) I am sure if ask any of your questions here the guys that have actually built and raced GTST's will have some great info for you.

My personal view on brakes is get the best you can afford. I tend to sway towards bigger brakes as my view is they give you better feel and a better ability to modulate on the threshold of locking up. Added benefit is the resistance to fade and more stopping power, Some of the intense targa stages can really give your brakes a workout so they need to be decent. Have been down the path of upgrading standard brakes with braided lines, ducting, trick rotors and pads etc, but still got a better result out of ditching it all and putting 6 pot alcons on. No doubt there are upgrades like bolting later model brembos on to the earlier stuff that would be a good budget upgrade.

I sadly am not a nissan guy (would love a 34GTR but cant afford to race one) and am an imposter here, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt. :)

edit.... oh and re suspension, this is one area I learnt the hard way in that you can never spend enough on the right coilovers. Once you have had a taste of tarmac rally and see how hard your suspension works over the less than perfect roads, you can see why the fast guys spend big on the suspenders. Makes a big difference to feeling comfortable at high speed over the bumps, which will naturally lead to you being more comfortable to push harder. Again i am sure the guys here will be able to lay out the variously priced options.

At the end of the day we are all on budgets. You just try to build the best toy you can with the money you have.

Edited by Darkside

You can run any body kit from a model run (R32 in this case) under the option rules. So you can run GT-R front bar, bonnet, and rear wing. Guards have to be Gtst as the GT-R guards are wider.

You can run upto 18x8 (pretty sure the stock rims are 16x6), but I run 17x8 rims cause i'm a jew. BUT you can also run factory option wheel sizes... which bump it up to 18x9, as you could option Nismo 18x9 wheels on Skylines back in the day.

That's great, thanks for your help mate. I have read your build thread a few times before, but now I am reading it again with a different view on things. 17x8" wheels would be the go.

^^^^ There ya go Anthony. One of the GTST gurus I had in mind. :) I am sure if ask any of your questions here the guys that have actually built and raced GTST's will have some great info for you.

My personal view on brakes is get the best you can afford. I tend to sway towards bigger brakes as my view is they give you better feel and a better ability to modulate on the threshold of locking up. Added benefit is the resistance to fade and more stopping power, Some of the intense targa stages can really give your brakes a workout so they need to be decent. Have been down the path of upgrading standard brakes with braided lines, ducting, trick rotors and pads etc, but still got a better result out of ditching it all and putting 6 pot alcons on. No doubt there are upgrades like bolting later model brembos on to the earlier stuff that would be a good budget upgrade.

I sadly am not a nissan guy (would love a 34GTR but cant afford to race one) and am an imposter here, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt. :)

edit.... oh and re suspension, this is one area I learnt the hard way in that you can never spend enough on the right coilovers. Once you have had a taste of tarmac rally and see how hard your suspension works over the less than perfect roads, you can see why the fast guys spend big on the suspenders. Makes a big difference to feeling comfortable at high speed over the bumps, which will naturally lead to you being more comfortable to push harder. Again i am sure the guys here will be able to lay out the variously priced options.

At the end of the day we are all on budgets. You just try to build the best toy you can with the money you have.

Thank you for your help!
I have done some hill climb sort of stuff before and drifting, but I have never built a car/modified a car with this sort of 'competition' driving in mind, so I am not sure what sort of brakes would be required (and what these might cost) similar again with suspension.
I have been looking at R33 GTR Brembo, these seemed to be well priced and take a 324x32mm rotor. I thought perhaps with good rotors/pads/fluid these might be up to the task. From there, I'm not sure. I need to research a LOT!
I will keep reading through the build threads in the motorsport section and try to pick up ideas, and I'll keep talking to as many people as I can.
Thanks for your help guys.

That's great, thanks for your help mate. I have read your build thread a few times before, but now I am reading it again with a different view on things. 17x8" wheels would be the go.

Thank you for your help!
I have done some hill climb sort of stuff before and drifting, but I have never built a car/modified a car with this sort of 'competition' driving in mind, so I am not sure what sort of brakes would be required (and what these might cost) similar again with suspension.
I have been looking at R33 GTR Brembo, these seemed to be well priced and take a 324x32mm rotor. I thought perhaps with good rotors/pads/fluid these might be up to the task. From there, I'm not sure. I need to research a LOT!

Buy Woosters car, it already has all this stuff....

Spotters fee coming my way!!!!!!

Buy Woosters car, it already has all this stuff....

Spotters fee coming my way!!!!!!

Spotted undies I reckon if you ever get that thing of yourzzzz running Paz i say FLOG!

What Blaise says here is spot on.

The "lightbulb" moment when you've recce'd your first rally, putting notes in about bumps 'cos you felt them in your road car, then taking those notes back out on the first stage 'cos the remote canister coilovers sucked 'em up.

Work out what you can afford to pay for suspension, then buy the ones that cost double...on credit...like a boss! :yes: You'll never regret it :)

Another noob question..

I know the engine you use for must remain the same (For Targa Adeliade/Tas etc)

So R32 GTS-T must be RB20DET

Apparently the late R32 came with RB25 motor, I haven't found any proof of this yet (4 door?)

Basically, I'm asking is there any way to use RB25DET engine in R32 GTS-T, or just no way possible?
Cheers again.