SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

yeah I admit we were trying :) But I'm not on face-thingy so I haven't seen whatever is on there

The car is nice and soft and deliberately so, Gary put together a compromise for rally and circuit use and it works very well. Swaybars are standard because it is a production car, and springs are 350F and 450R. It ran very nicely through the bumps/rough sections/camber changes etc

400km competitive in high ambients is a lot to ask from a single set of tyres when you're running a GTR with their weight bias strongly to the front.

How did the rear tyres hold up by comparison?

What camber/toe settings were you using on the front? Tyre wear will be compromised if you've got it setup to turn in and hold a line.

A good navvy is worth their weight in gold. The whole event can be so much easier when things click together.

A few weeks ago on the Great Tarmac Rally I butchered a front set of medium Hankook Z221's in a day but was trying to drive too hard, hugging corners too much and understeering. In comparison with dad driving on the Targa High Country the tyres almost still had the labels on them after 3 days! Sure he may not have been driving as hard but we were still giving it a go. A lot of it comes down to the driving style/technique (at least in our case). I just need to work on getting all my braking done before the corner and apex more precisely before powering out. A little more difficult to do rallying compared to on a track but that's what its all about!

Our clutch didn't get any better or worse after the 2nd day. It is a strange problem though, it would slip down low then grip up at higher revs -even during full boost. Made it hard accelerating out of slow corners, especially up Buller! We were just happy to finish!

yeah I admit we were trying :) But I'm not on face-thingy so I haven't seen whatever is on there

The car is nice and soft and deliberately so, Gary put together a compromise for rally and circuit use and it works very well. Swaybars are standard because it is a production car, and springs are 350F and 450R. It ran very nicely through the bumps/rough sections/camber changes etc

10372986_817216191634753_381991826828081

1399424_817216304968075_4524657373100379

10469431_817216334968072_286890619628953

1900285_817216388301400_6690571499883757

1899721_817216491634723_4143739480227733

10708545_817216588301380_841595493455944

Edited by SimonR32

ahh the town stage....we were just tootling through there because it was an easy clear base time....even turned the 4wd off for a little more fun.

I'm very happy with the suspension and alignment, have been running them for many years with excellent results....I'm not really looking past inappropriate tyre compound for the cause

Oh and BTW well done Larry and Liam coming home 4th, it was great to compete with you guys.

And good to meet you John, shame you couldn't get a new clutch in but at least you made it through the event....hope to see you out there again soon :)

Thanks Duncan. Would have got interesting if you had the tyres to last till the end.

It was good to meet up with everyone. Might try to organise a lodge with whoever is keen next year. I spotted a few nice ones with garages perfect for servicing..

Happy with the result though bummed we couldn't have pushed further up the field. We seemed to have the pace when we had a clean stage. Haltech's engine protection did it's best to kill the fun 4 times on day 3. Yet to plug the computer in to find the error code and download logs. Tempted to turn off all the engine protection settings and install a race dash to monitor as much as I can.

Our tyres were pretty toast by the end but at least had another 80-100kms in them (265/35/18 Yoko A050 M). 235 seems pretty narrow for a GTR trying to put down anything more than stock power. The smaller contact patch would not have helped your tyre life.

Here's our run up Jamieson on day 3

Well done to everyone who was there! Was a great event, and very few incidents in outright terms.

Sorry to see your tyre issues there Dunc and Kel. THC is very bloody hard on tyres, and Big River stage itself is responsible for ruining many sets of previously good tyres. One of THC's greatest challenges is tyre management and choice. Big River for instance needs special consideration with what pace you chose to run at early on in the stage.

I was there but was out fairly early each day and only saw Kel briefly. I was surprised and very very fortunate in being able to step into the 0B role for this event. It was really great to go back to a Targa after three years away. The V6 TDi Jaguar XF is a really impressive car too, far better than I could have imagined.

14THC-3678_zpsc6a3b46d.jpg

Edited by Marlin

• 2 weeks later...

So...Sports Trophy!

Hmm. Problem is will they care about a 2.5L Rb with a high mount ....not exactly early modern compliant. May throw a new headgasket at my oidl RB20 and go a bolt on hi-flow...back to being compliant !

That is the easy bit...the problem? $7k!!!! I think I would rather do Le Mans and hire a Caterham again :( Seems a shame they introduce a come get hooked class but don't price it accordingly