SAU Community

Read This! Who's The Best Tuner/workshop/resprayer/detailer/etc...?

Abo Bob

Very reguarly someone starts a thread asking something like this. Forum rules state that nothing negative can be said about any workshops or tuners which leaves people thinking where's my protection from the shonkies? I want people's genuine opinions.

The trouble is that if you don't know the people, you don't know which is a real unbiased opinion and which is not.

I posted this in a thread recently:

Pretty much every workshop has it's share of bandwagoners just like they have their share of haters. It's frustrating for us old timers because of how the forum rules work and also how people work. I wish we could relax the rules a little and I personally think by law we could, however the problem ultimately is that people can't be trusted to do and say the right thing. People always go overboard and say more than they know.

Here's a few tips on how to get the most out of a forum.

1. Spend more time reading than posting.

2. Identify regulars who appear to be knowledgeable.

3. Pay attention when regulars disagree with each other. They will usually have points of agreement in the argument which are worth noting.

4. Search old threads. In relation to finding a workshop, the NSW section gets a thread on this every 2-3 weeks it seems.

5. Research the job you want done so you understand what workshops are telling you.

6. Ring some workshops and see what kind of a feeling you get from them.

7. Pm a few people you have identified on the forums as trustworthy and knowledgeable and ask them nicely about the job and the workshops you are considering. Hopefully one or two of them will reply.

8. Apply a discount to the opinion of anyone who is compromised or affiliated. The level of discount will vary according to how you rate their trustworthiness.

9. Lastly, be aware that different workshops will suit different people. The workshops themselves have a sort of corporate personality, generally formed mostly by the owner. You need one that fits what you want from a workshop.

All threads asking for advice on which workshop to go to will be locked and the thread starter pointed to this thread. Good luck with your modifications, just remember that hard research will increase this "luck".

Cheers.

• Like 1