SAU Community

A Pillar Gauges Roadworthiness

R33 pearl orange

hi guys this topic has most likely been covered but can not find it on here or on the Vic roads web site

Q: Are gauges mounted in the A pillar legal or not legal will they pass roadworthy inspection any help would be much appreciated thx :down:

thx guys for ya help took 10sec for an answer here I've been looking for a week about this

I have a gauge that passed without mention. I'm not suprised they are illegal although I didn't even think about it at the time.

On the old skyline i had 2 gauges on the A-Pillar. During the major defect and getting the car re-engineered the guy sent a pic to the proper authorities and said that the A-Pillar gauges were legal.

On the old skyline i had 2 gauges on the A-Pillar. During the major defect and getting the car re-engineered the guy sent a pic to the proper authorities and said that the A-Pillar gauges were legal.

If they cause no vision imparement out the windscreen its ok... if they do, then illegal....and since id say most people use the Greddy A Pillar thingy... most peoples would be illegal

i woulda thought that its also a crash hazard. imagine collecting a guage with your eye in a headon. yum

i can test that theory out for you

ive got a spare crap gauge here and we put it on ur eye adn smack it with a hammer :down:

i have 3 gauges mounted on the passenger dash....this is ilegal because if i have a smash passenger will hit all 3 gauges.....it just depends where you get the roadworthy i passed with these with 2 differnent roadworthies.....

i can test that theory out for you

ive got a spare crap gauge here and we put it on ur eye adn smack it with a hammer :P

sounds like a plan. you bring gauge and i'll bring the eye. ooh the next meet will be interesting indeed :down:

sounds like a plan. you bring gauge and i'll bring the eye. ooh the next meet will be interesting indeed :down:

problem is the next meet i will be at will be in 7months

so u get to keep your eye till then you bastard :P

I have a gauge that passed without mention. I'm not suprised they are illegal although I didn't even think about it at the time.

Its all on VicRoads website too.

Just look for the VSI (Vehicle Standards Information), can find it off the main page so pretty easy

Slightly off topic, but I had a taxi driver the other day that had his GPS screen just slight left of where he was looking out the windscreen. IMO they are a LOT worse than any gauge can be (except a 5" monster tacho on the A pillar as seen on some civics and bombadores).

im pretty sure the JDM s15's come with a factory A-Piller gauge.

All the s15's ive seen are complianced & rego'd and still have the A-piller gauge mounted there.

So yeah lol

This got me thinking, dont see why ppl would pick it on an rwc, does not block much at all, here is a pic of mine from the drivers perspective

2727303415_7d869bebba.jpg