SAU Community

Gtr Gear Box Strenth

R33 GTR. 2.8 litre with a pair of RS's hanging off the side of it. 380 - 400 RWKW or there abouts.

Late model box in it only having 11,000 KMS on it and i stripped 3rd. Made a good mess :(

Now have the OS 1-5 + input in. Ill get back to ou on how it is on the street.

I think most people will agree that a gearbox is like a clutch. It really depends how you treat it.

So far iv'e had no problems with a stock 5 speed box and similar power levels. However, when I take the car to the track it may be a different story. I know the stock boxes tend to let go in 3rd but sometimes this can be attributed to harsh clutches and particular brands.

I am also interested in feedback from people using these aftermarket gearsets.

^^

When my box let go I was giving it a hard time (8000 rpm change from 2nd to 3rd) but knowing that 3rd is a weak point i was always very tip toey into 3rd, this gear change being no exception. Clutch is a Nismo twin plate coppermix which may or may not have helped but atleast it has a sprung centre.

R32 GTR, 3 years ago when it had 400hp atw stripped 3rd gear when shifting from 2nd, felt weird sloting (worn synchros?) in for a split second then bang, had os triple plate.

Also snapped a uas pivot ball a few months ago.

If money is no problem then I'd will/would go an os, ppg gearset to handle the hp.

R32 with 430 RWHP. 80K on the standard box. Little bit of short track and a few drag passes. Syncros going

The OSG 5 Speed kit is going in as we speak-there is a thread in this sub forum. I will post the complete parts list when I get home

Dont think that a Getrag 6 speed (r34 'box) is really the answer, if ur breaking GTR 5 spds, then ull prob break the Getrag 6 speed

If i had one and it broke, id be looking at the OS Giken gearsets, either the 1-3 or 1-5, or go Aussie made and go for a PPG gearset.

Yeah, I too thought about the 6 speed from R34's. The ratios of gears 1-4 are closer and seem to handle more power. However it also means changing the diff gears to suit the gearbox. Much cheaper option will be an aftermarket gearset.

I looked at the Getrag as an option but in the end I went for the OSG kit...from what I could gather the Getrag GB rebuild was a pricey endeavour.

As for a standard box with 500Kw..I suppose you can put any Kw through a box is you baby it. I would think 400AWKw would wear a 32-33 box out pretty quickly if driven with any verve

One of my friends had a Trust gear set in his 32. He use to race the car. He liked the gear set, said it took him a while to get use to it, but the harder you changed gears the better it was. Don't know what it would be like for a street car though.