SAU Community

Gtr Gear Box Strenth

That PPG set is not a synchro box. It's dog gears. Just so you know, Pete. :)

Hi Paul, sent off for some info, dog gears, sequential gears they would be like ridding a bike again and that is OK but I guess they are crappy for DD use.

Saw a Video with a bloke in a parking lot and not having fun at parking , so I guess they can be a pain.

Just said to Joey that I might just get the build done with what I have and see what happens or give it a miss :)

On my laptop now so I cannot PM you.

Pete

I'm running 450kw at wheels on e85 through a stock box, previously at 410kw went to the drags, no issues

Another drag night coming up on the 16th July

Should hold up, box doesn't crunch or anything might just be lucky

Your in the zone now, just a matter of time.

Your in the zone now, just a matter of time.

Yeh I guess so, you have to accept that at this power

I got a mint spare stocker il chuck in if it brakes, 3rd time il look into aftermarket Gearsets

Thing is, everyone seems "ok" with the gearbox "constantly" failing.

Is it not a big deal to get it rebuilt?

Is it worth going for smaller turbos (-9/GTSS) to specifically avoid this weak point?

Second hand boxes are pretty cheap $600-$1000. And only about $1k give or take to rebuild depending on what's smashed.

Less power is not an option once you've been there.

• Like 1

Broken boxes being a big problem and magnified when using 3 and 4 plate clutches,so I will ditch the Quad and going for a Twin, but what Twin to use on a torquey R34GTR.

There are a few that were recommended to me..Coppermix C Spec twin seems to be on the top of the list.

What about carbon types?

• Like 1

Pete,

Jim Berry full monty with organic plate works for me in 26/30 GTR 350rwkw @ 6250 but then I don't 'launch' so may not suit your needs.

Back OT I spoke to Award about gbox strength recently, their view was that a good margin of failures occur due to:

'nut that holds the wheel'

downshifts rather than upshifts

Pete,

Jim Berry full monty with organic plate works for me in 26/30 GTR 350rwkw @ 6250 but then I don't 'launch' so may not suit your needs.

Back OT I spoke to Award about gbox strength recently, their view was that a good margin of failures occur due to:

'nut that holds the wheel'

downshifts rather than upshifts

Going with the Super Coppermix Twin Plate Clutch, done enough looking my head is going to fall off and have had some great help from some of the blokes on this site :)

I guess I am going to be that NUT and loving it.