SAU Community

Gtr Gear Box Strenth

She's going good. Pretty much anybody can drive the car now. This clutch is just so easy to drive compared to some others.

Hi Richard, you have the Super coppermix C twin?

I found as my mods started to give the car some torque/response, the OS Giken Quad clutch became much easier to use as a DD and I have no doubt it will be even better after the stroker build BUT from what the blokes have said that have a similar set up, I would be nuts not to get a quality sprung twin clutch that will be more forgiving on the box.

I will have to think of selling off the leftovers, the RB26 block, the motor mods and clutch have only 3500Klms, forged internals etc and I do not want to bring any of them back home with me. So once I know what is coming off I will go to the for sales thread.

Yeah your heading down the right track in regards to clutch etc.

I just changed from an OS giken triple , just like your quad. It destroyed more than half a dozen gearboxes including 2 OS Giken gearsets. I loved the feel of it and had no problems driving it, but anyone that just hoped in to have drive did struggle a lot!!

Hopefully the sprung centre will be the difference and help the rest of the driveline.

Yeh , had a few blokes talking up their driving skills and I gave them a drive when I first got it home, they could not get it going to get into second, made me feel a bit better after my drive home from Sydney when I bought it,1 1/2 hours in peak hour traffic,F, it was less than a fun drive in your new car,haha

The OS triple was an expensive exercise for you :( but I guess you were giving it heaps and loving it at the time :)

My Quad is OK as a DD now with the changes I have made but from what the boys have said and what you have experienced I would be stupid not to have the clutch changed while I a having the build done.

Trouble is now I have to wait to get it done :(

Well good news is that my stock gearbox survived the drags on Wednesday night :)

These things are strong as ! Doesn't even crunch, don't wanna jinx it though next month going back with drag radials :)

Time not so good, nito INVO's couldn't put the power down, did a 11.1@ 136mph

2.0 60ft

Then Did a second gear burnout and managed a 1.7 60ft but then missed 2nd gear so definetly has more left in it !

• Like 1

Don't think it's ever been bled, not in my ownership anyways

Just fresh matic d in transfer case, I've never touched the fluid in the attessa system before...

I do it every 10k, it is fairly easy to do when you have seem it done, with the power you have use Trans max Z or even RP Syncro max in the transfer case and the Matic D in the ATTESA

Paul, its to do with how the spring setup works and how hard the springs are, the spline rotates inside the clutch disc with only the springs there to stop it, now this is fine if the springs are strong enough to absorb the torque but if not them the spline will rotate till the springs bind then the box takes the brunt of it if the clutch can't slip and by the time the springs bind the clutch is already engaged :(

I do it every 10k, it is fairly easy to do when you have seem it done, with the power you have use Trans max Z or even RP Syncro max in the transfer case and the Matic D in the ATTESA

Paul, its to do with how the spring setup works and how hard the springs are, the spline rotates inside the clutch disc with only the springs there to stop it, now this is fine if the springs are strong enough to absorb the torque but if not them the spline will rotate till the springs bind then the box takes the brunt of it if the clutch can't slip and by the time the springs bind the clutch is already engaged :(

Tougher springs?

Makes sense... But where is "the limit"?

Thats why I not sold on it, cause I have no idea how far you can go with it before it becomes a potential problem, I know I feel happier with the I sprung triple in my 34 then I would a sprung one, I know I felt it with one of the single plates I had in the 32

I am very doubt full all the springs are identical, then that might be the torque rating the clutches have is referring to ?

Tuffer springs or extra plate ?

So IF the springs aren't strong enough to absorb the shock, then it would be the same as unsprung? Wouldn't it? No better, no worse?

What's wrong with Matic-D ? Ive never had any issues with it. Whereas when I tried some others that were recommended they didn't handle it ( boiled I think )

Depends how hard it hits the wall ( spring binds ), at least with the unsprung clutch you can slip it till its loaded up fully, but hitting the spring stop would be like slipping your foot off the side off the clutch pedal while its on the floor boards giving the sudden jerk, again this is just one of my crazy theories and no real proof of it and would depend on how hard you are over powering the springs

Matic D is basically dextron III, not exactly same but very close, where Trans Max Z and RP Synroc max are designed for higher then normal loading like towing a caravan and stuff and while you don't have any issues with it and most likely never will I like the idea of having something designed more for what I'm doing with it

Low ten :D

When did you last bleed your 4WD ?

Pete Paul has a build thread

Here http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/397676-piglets-rebuild-of-his-busted-tomei-28/

I also not sold on spring centres in high powered 4WD, twin plate yes sprung centre not so much :(

Thanks Mick, been having a look, lots going on in there, I think I will croak before I finish reading it all,haha