SAU Community

Can I Remove This Distribution Block Between The Master Cylinder And Slave Cylinder? - R32 Gtst

Shaun

Hi,

I just bled my clutch because im having disengagement problems, and was wondering if i can remove this distribution (?) block that is situated in line between the master and slave cylinders. Then i could just have a braided clutch line made up that runs from the master cylinder directly to the slave cylinder. Surely this would be better for pedal feel and be easier to bleed.

Also, i wouldnt mind knowing what its for before i remove it altogether. See the pic below; its the funny black box that has a bleed nipple on it and lines running into and out of it.

Also, does anyone know of people who would make a braided line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder?

Thanks,

Shaun

post-11456-1219579487_thumb.jpg

Isn't that block part of the clutch fluid cooler. Wouldn't removal of that block leads to overheating/boiling of the fluid?

Mine was removed when I purchased the car. I've been thinking of getting one to try and see if there is any benefit.

Shaun, don't bin that unit and make a donation by sending that unit to me :D?

nar it wont cool anything, there isnt really a flow in the clutch system, if you want to blled the clutch well with the block, i found to bleed the clutch through the slave, and then go to the block bleed it from the block, and then back to the slave,

but

i would much rather 1 line haha, but i cant because my lines are rounding the bolts trying to get them off so im just leaving it.

Shaun....MAKE A DONATION (I really want it on a faster server right now :D )

Thanks for the reminder Duncan! +1 for faster server too.

UAS sell them for $120 which isnt too bad.

Now for another question. Is it a worthwhile upgrade to get the Nismo larger slave cylinder rather than a stock replacement one? I think the Nismo ones are about $80 or $90 extra.

Thanks again,

Shaun.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for the reminder Duncan! +1 for faster server too.

UAS sell them for $120 which isnt too bad.

Now for another question. Is it a worthwhile upgrade to get the Nismo larger slave cylinder rather than a stock replacement one? I think the Nismo ones are about $80 or $90 extra.

Thanks again,

Shaun.

i got the UAS one and all i can say it AWESOME. bleeding the clutch 5 minutes (max) i did matster, slave and cable and im never looking back. the clutch feels great and alot heavyer

I've got a braided line that I've been meaning to fit but haven't yet. Was going to do it while my suspension is out being rebuilt in the next few weeks but does it really make the clutch a lot heavier? I was also looking into the Nismo slave to make it lighter as that's all it does that different to stock. Then I thought, I bet we can find a local slave the right size that will do the job. Any ideas? Gotta find the internal diameter of the stock and Nismo ones again. I had the measurements but I lost them.

Isn't that block part of the clutch fluid cooler. Wouldn't removal of that block leads to overheating/boiling of the fluid?

Mine was removed when I purchased the car. I've been thinking of getting one to try and see if there is any benefit.

Shaun, don't bin that unit and make a donation by sending that unit to me :mellow:?

Yup, it's the cooler.

Bypassed mine, and two other Skylines with no adverse affect.

Bin it bro!

• 2 weeks later...

well im about to bin mine, tried every bloody adjustment and 3 bottles of clutch fluid later i still cant dis-engage so i cant even get the car into gear,

apparently when you get a heavy pressure plate etc.... theres a point where you rubber hose to the slave will just exspand instead of pushing the slave out because of the pressure which is needed,

so my APP 1 piece braided line arrived today, will put it in tomorrow and i hope my clutch works, otherwise i will be cut,

(that box thing was the dumbest design ever)

well im about to bin mine, tried every bloody adjustment and 3 bottles of clutch fluid later i still cant dis-engage so i cant even get the car into gear,

apparently when you get a heavy pressure plate etc.... theres a point where you rubber hose to the slave will just exspand instead of pushing the slave out because of the pressure which is needed,

so my APP 1 piece braided line arrived today, will put it in tomorrow and i hope my clutch works, otherwise i will be cut,

(that box thing was the dumbest design ever)

Don't forget to bleed the master first, then the slave. Otherwise you'll be bashing your teddy man. I learned the hard way......

Pretty sure its not a cooler, it wouldnt work, and the clutch fluid has no reason to get hot

Yeah man it is a cooler. The workshop manual even states it.

The reason the fluid gets hot is because of compression. If you pump the pedal enough it will heat the line.

They're not use on brake lines because they run the length of the vehicle and the underbody draught cools the lines.

Anything under compression develops heat - A case in point: Turbos.

• 4 weeks later...
I've got a braided line that I've been meaning to fit but haven't yet. Was going to do it while my suspension is out being rebuilt in the next few weeks but does it really make the clutch a lot heavier? I was also looking into the Nismo slave to make it lighter as that's all it does that different to stock. Then I thought, I bet we can find a local slave the right size that will do the job. Any ideas? Gotta find the internal diameter of the stock and Nismo ones again. I had the measurements but I lost them.

How did you go with this?

I am in the same boat, except ive lost my slave cylinder in moving sheds. So I can't even take my old one is for a sample.

Apparently the difference between Std and nismo is 19.05mm vs 20.54mm, with the current exchange rate its pricing them upwards of $200. And im sure a PBR or Powermax wouldn't be more than $60.

Infact I reckon a Patrol one would do the job.