SAU Community

Transporting A Car From Qld To Melb.

sl33kLine

Hey guys and galz..

I need some advice on transporting a car down from Hervey Bay in QLD to Melb.

Does anyone know of any or has experience with freight companies

Im looking for the cheapest option, doesnt really matter how long it is going to take for the car to get here, plus minus a couple of days.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave.

Any Car Dealerships near you at H.Bay?

If so, I'd assume that quite a few cars might come up from Melbourne (or Sydney) to where you are; in which case...

you might ask the dealer if the transporter (aka Jason Statham) could take your car back down. That would save them money too rather than taking a half empty Pan-Tec. BTW Jason Statham charges by the kilo so you might consider him LAST!

All the best!

Tez

I used Toll Autotrans to bring a car from Bris to Mel - cost a bit over $400 around 12 months ago. That's depot-to-depot (cheapest). You need to get the car to their depot a few days ahead of time, and they put it on the first available back to Mel.

I used Toll Autotrans to bring a car from Bris to Mel - cost a bit over $400 around 12 months ago. That's depot-to-depot (cheapest). You need to get the car to their depot a few days ahead of time, and they put it on the first available back to Mel.

Thanks for that. I've spoken to autotrans and because it has to be a door to depot service it worked out to be $1060 which is way too much.

I found a website called moving cars and they quoted me $795 door to depot which im pretty happy with

Also do these freight companies have a Cash On Delivery service? Or what is the best way to do this. Pretty much my situation is : Im buying this car in qld, have had it checked out and everything is fine. The guy that I'm buying it off is in his late 40's so shouldnt expect any dodgy stuff. I'm in melb and the car is getting shipped down. What is the method of me paying the owner?

fly up (get chep as flights these days.. pick up the car and handing the cash over also.. or bank chq.. and drive down.. :( much more fun and will be cheaper and easier..

and just cause the dude is 40 i wouldnt assume there is nothing dodgy.. don't forget ur in another state.. not like ur gonna come see him if you find something..

why didnt u ask the company if they do a COD service? and you'll have to do a transfer of funds to the owner.. go in the bank with his BSB and Account No and ask them to transfer selected funds.. i would rather pick it up or be there when the car is shipped as you dont know what has been taken off or removed or anything..

^^^ +1

Fly up, have a final inspect'n and pick it up yourself!

Takes 2 days to get to Melb. with short breaks and 1 long.

On the way back, just stay back from the vehicle in front lest you pick up stones eh?

Cheers :(

BTW, the drive back will be one you'll never forget - grin from ear to ear (so long as the 40 yr old can be trusted - prefer to trust a mature Christian myself)

Edited by Matty_GT-R33

• 10 years later...
9 hours ago, Nate65 said:

Hey, I'm looking at all my options to purchase an R32. I'm from Melbourne but the cars I'm interested in are from interstate. Either from Brisbane or Perth. Does anyone know what it costs these days to transport a car from QLD to VIC? I'm waiting for some quotes online from https://www.vehiclemove.com.au/car-transport-quotes has anyone used them before?

Haven't used them

But I would definitely get it transported after inspection.

The small outlay is worth the peace of mind of knowing the car isn't going to break down at 3 in the morning, in a area with no mobile service, and the only sound you hear is a banjo and someone whispering "you got a peerdy mouth boy".

Not too keen on driving 18 hrs Brisbane to Melbourne. Perth to Melbourne is a grueling 36 hrs...no thanks! If the car was from Sydney it might be worth considering. I agree with mlr, pay for inspection and car transport for piece of mind. Definitely don't want no banjo playing.