SAU Community

R32 Air Conditioning

mystery_kid

recently my aircon has just starts pumping hot air in no matter what temp i set it at

and the most annoying bit is when i turn it off the fan stops but whichever direction i had it blowing through (feet or face) it doesn't close, so you just get hot air streaming in from the engine bay

i'm suspecting these could be 2 different problems.. ? one seems like the air con might need regassing or whatever the other i don't know..

any help would be appreciated.

common problem in r32's. A search would have found solutions, but anyways;

1. Hot air no matter what temperature;

The r32 has a common problem of the Blend Door Servo Motor to stop working. This is due to the connection to the motor becoming lose.

Solution;

- Go to the passenger foot well area.

- look up behind the headunit (where the feet air vent is)

- There you should see a metal rod and a plastic clip.

- Cycle through the hot/cold temp buttons quicky and check if you can see the metal rod moving. This rod controls the blend door which controls the hot/cold.

- If the rod doesnt move, then the blend door servo motor is the fault.

- Just before the metal rod, is a wire loom connected to a white socket (right infront of your face)

- Wiggle the white socket whilst pressing the up/down buttons. The Blend door motor will then respond and move.

- What i did was used some cable ties to create some pressure on the white socket.

2. Hot air coming through airvents

Common problem in both R32's and R33's. Air still passes through the airvents to what ever the last temperature was. In your case, it is stuck on hot, hence hot air wafting through.

Solution

- Press the Recirc button when the climate control is turned off. (the button next to the front window demister)

- The button will light up green, but the display will still be off.

- No more air coming through vents ;)

Let us know how it goes

Cheers

Patrick

• Like 1

Mine has similar problem. Hot air all the time, no matter what temp I set it, even when I do FC by holding down the cold button. I went into diagnostic mode and all the sensors were fine, so thats not the problem.

I thought it might need a regass, but 1 day it did work for no particular reason, so I'm thinking it might be caused by somthing else. Would like to hear other ppl's opinion on this forum.

Rekin, can you provide some pic of the bit (blend servo motor) I'm suppose to be checking?

same friken problem shits me to the max!!!!!!!

my problem is similar but slight difference. When i drive and its cold i put the heater on and then i drive with the heater on 35 of what ever the max is and then it will go cold for no reason at all like cold air so i have to turn it off and no matter what if i set the air to come from the face vents once i switch it off air starts coming out from the feet and its still cold.. In summer its the exact opposite air con on and its pretty average air con then out of no where turns off and boiling hot air comes out and it does not stop it comes out in 37 degree heat right on my feet and it shits me so bad i need it fixed !!!

Mine has similar problem. Hot air all the time, no matter what temp I set it, even when I do FC by holding down the cold button. I went into diagnostic mode and all the sensors were fine, so thats not the problem.

I thought it might need a regass, but 1 day it did work for no particular reason, so I'm thinking it might be caused by somthing else. Would like to hear other ppl's opinion on this forum.

Rekin, can you provide some pic of the bit (blend servo motor) I'm suppose to be checking?

the problem is the blend door servo motor. Mine works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt. Press the socket in properly and it will work fine for a while.

I'll try get some pictures

there is a sensor attached to the centre console...just right of the coin pocket..check behind there.... should be a hose connected to that sensor..

you have to take off the centre console fascia to do this

What he said ^^

Have had this happen before and it's an easy first thing to check

Pictures are requested;

img1718smallzn1.jpg

img1732smallza7.jpg

3. As you can see; white clip with metal rod. This rod can sometimes unclip from the white holder. This rod moves the blend door.

If the rod has fallen off, just reconnect it.

img1731mediumke2.jpg

img1728mediumpi6.jpg

This is the socket for the blend door servo motor. This socket seems to lose connection with the motor. Hence why the motor doesnt respond to temp changes.

Push the wireloom up and/or to the side whilst pressing the hot/cold buttons on the climate control. You will then see the rod moving if its the socket problem.

As you can see, i used a zip tie to apply some pressure on the loom.

img1730mediumab5.jpg

thanks for the info, sounds exactly like what my problem is because my aircon was working fine until i did the stereo just recently

so it's probably not coincidental with all the work around that area for the head unit

will give it a go tomorrow

Thanks Rekin for the pics, you're a champ m8 ;-)

Mine had the exact problem as you've described. The servo arm dosen't move when I cycle through cold and hot. But when I wiggle the plug while doing that, the servo arm moved. So I tried taping up the wires, pushing the wires upwards, and all sort of other things.... but still have the same issue.

Eventually I was able to find a fix, the trick is to apply a slight pressure on the actual plug towards the right (back of the car). There is a rectangular void on the left of the plug and all I did was stuff some paper in there to create that pressure and the problem solved. I was able to get cold air again!! Bloody awesome. Thanks Rekin!

servo-1.jpg

Edited by __PhaseShiftDown

Thanks Rekin for the pics, you're a champ m8 ;-)

Mine had the exact problem as you've described. The servo arm dosen't move when I cycle through cold and hot. But when I wiggle the plug while doing that, the servo arm moved. So I tried taping up the wires, pushing the wires upwards, and all sort of other things.... but still have the same issue.

Eventually I was able to find a fix, the trick is to apply a slight pressure on the actual plug towards the right (back of the car). There is a rectangular void on the left of the plug and all I did was stuff some paper in there to create that pressure and the problem solved. I was able to get cold air again!! Bloody awesome. Thanks Rekin!

whoh thats an awesome photo! I had enough trouble taking my dodgy photos haha.

I was wondering if the socket can be pulled off, i tried to but it seems quite firm. Perhaps once its pulled off it could be cleaned with some contact cleaner to provide a better connection..

I took the plug off, there is a release tab on the left hand side, so you need to press it a bit and pull at the same time.

I took mine off and had a look, it is very clean. Also had a look at the male end on the servo, and seems fine as well. I'm not sure if it is to do with the pins in the plugs not making contact, or somthing like dry solder on the servo end.

So far it is working for me with the paper trick, but if it stops working, I'll take the servo apart and have a look.

Its going to be 31c today.. hopefully the aircon keeps working :)

Edited by __PhaseShiftDown

ok my bad guys

whoever put the facia back (can't remember if it was me or my mate, probably me) on didn't plug the sensor back on for the climate control :s

thanks anyway, hope this thread helped others

Edited by mystery_kid

• 1 year later...

I got a little problem with my own A/C, but its more of a weird one.

My A/C makes a lovely noise similar to a creeky door slowly opening when i change the air flow path (feet/vents/demist). On rare occasions it doesnt but usually does.

It always has a small amount of hot air flowing through the vents when it is on or off, but still blows cold or hot air (cold is slightly warmer because of the slight hot air flow).

I'm thinking, as the hot air comes through when it is off, it's air flowing from inside the engine bay (hot) through the a/c system into the car. I have even disconnected the fan fuse and it still is comming through. I'm thinking that the servo motor is not getting enough power to move correctly and is failing to completly shut off the flaps.

Let me know if anyone else has had similar problems like this.

Cheers

ok my bad guys

whoever put the facia back (can't remember if it was me or my mate, probably me) on didn't plug the sensor back on for the climate control :s

thanks anyway, hope this thread helped others

Dont worry, I did that too. When I was istalling some gauges I forgot to plug them back in and I got the hot air problem. Plugged it back in the next day when it finally occured to me and 'wooshka', feel that sweet cold air breeze.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My air con isn't blowing cool air. Got an r32 and I connected the gauges to it and the standing pressure was 800 Kpa and when I turned on the air con the pressure stayed at 800Kpa. I think the compressor is stuffed, where abouts is the compressor located? Is it easy to get to and does anyone have a spare Compressor for a R32 gtst??