SAU Community

R34 Cluster Removal

vidospace

Thought I would write this up as I was struggling quite a bit with this one, and now have it down to a fine art.

Tools required: 1 x stubby phillips head, 1 x long thin phillips head.

OK so the story is I wanted to install some LED bulbs for the cluster and "piggy back" off the Oil Preasure guage wiring for a better gauge.

So here are the steps:

1. Unscrew the 6 screws under the steering column and drop it as low as it can go. Then pop of the top cover behind the steering wheel (see pic)

R34_cluster5.jpg

2. Unscrew the 2 screws at the top of the cluster surround

R34_cluster6.jpg

3. Pull the cluster surround out by pulling first a the top and then the bottom.

R34_cluster.jpg

4. Disconnect the Climate Control Sensor wiring clip and tube (REMEMBER TO PLUG THESE IN WHEN YOU PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER! OTHERWISE YOUR AC WILL BE EITHER HOT AS OR 18 DEGREES ONLY!)

R34_cluster1.jpg

5. Unscrew all the 3 screws holding the cluster in.

R34_cluster2.jpg

6. Disconnect the 3 wirring harnesses from behind the cluster. The one on the left is a particular bastard as the clip is located behind the accesable side of the plug. Not really much I can say here other than it is a real pain to get out. Once it is out I suggest destroying the clips on these so they can easily be removed in the future!

R34_cluster4.jpg

7. Finally pull the cluster out. The only way you can get it past the steering wheel is to the left as shown below.

R34_cluster3.jpg

Once the globes are changed, reverse the process to reinsert. I can now complete this process in about 10 minutes.

Hi mate.

Im about to install some LED's inot my R34 but also have the LED's for the 3 gauges on tops of dash. Any ideas on how to get to them as i notice you have aftermarket gauges.

Any help would be great

Thanks

with the 3 gauges.

Step 1: get a flat head screw driver, stick it in the left side of the aircon (marked in picture in red), Then flick out the aircont vents, the whole thing should just pop out with the hazard light button.

edit-1.jpg

Step 2: after you have done that, there will be 2 screws holding the 3 gauges down. Undo them then you can lift up the 3 gauges all together with the cover.

Step 3: there will be 2 screws, one on each side, holding the gauges onto the cover. undo them and you'll be left with just the gauges.

Simple as.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I highly recommend you use the one's that 666DAN has, i have in my car and couldn't be happier with the results.... :worship:

Do the 3 guages and the A/C screen too as they look awesome.

This is the dodgiest picture in the world but you get the idea - (Had sunlight shining in and i am a retard and moved)

post-47580-0-12161600-1326766871_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

6. Disconnect the 3 wirring harnesses from behind the cluster. The one on the left is a particular bastard as the clip is located behind the accesable side of the plug. Not really much I can say here other than it is a real pain to get out. Once it is out I suggest destroying the clips on these so they can easily be removed in the future!

If you unplug the top plug first you can maneuver it so there is a large space on the right to get your hand or a flat screwdriver in and find the clip.

post-125345-0-40306400-1411864980_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I changed mine recently. Some new white ones. Surprisingly easy. Just patience with the rear cluster plugs.

Also for anyone who isnt sure its the 4 grey twisties you change. At first i was like wtf 17 twist tops and i got 4 leds.... lol

post-135498-14231283685307_thumb.jpg

post-135498-14231284771227_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I have the same problem as madman_rocks and radford23 : after replacing the bulbs by leds, and replaced the cluster in his place, the leds are working but my fuel gauge is not working anymore and stay at the bottom (but the empty light is still working). Also, I now have my handbrake light that always stays on. Any idea ? This is really frustrating...

Thx

• 11 months later...

Has anyone bought LED’s from the below Ebay sellers or if you have purchased from someone else some advice would be great. I’m after a set of blue led’s to replace my dash and triple cluster led’s

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Blue-LED-Dash-Kit-For-Nissan-Stagea-Skyline-R34-8/390105197302?epid=1291123059&hash=item5ad414eaf6:g:Vl0AAMXQTgZRAYLD

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/White-Dash-Instrument-Light-LED-Kit-For-Nissan-Skyline-R34-Stagea-Bouns/222736918635?fits=Plat_Gen%3AR34&hash=item33dc27a86b:g:fP0AAOSwDdlapNdq

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 8:06 PM, 666DAN said:

Update, I heard Marcus has been out of the LED game for quite some time. Sorry guys!

I have just changed my bulbs to LED. There's a problem. I have a series 2 dash so there is a orange film behind the gauges. Is there any way to make the gauges not appear yellow as I want them White 

• 3 years later...